Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my V1 in my QV today without going into the fuse box. V1 has a product called "Savvy" which allows you to connect via the OBD port under the dash. I've done this for one of my other cars and it's a pretty clean install. This is just an option for those who don't want to go to the fuses. The box does stick out from the OBD port so for those with really large feet there is a risk you may consistently bump into it; let the buyer beware. One thing I like about this install is the the stop/start functionality of the car doesn't mess with the V1.......hooray! I hope this works for you.

Tools:
a) Interior plastic tool for removing interior bits (I got a cheap set from ECS, but you can always use a screwdriver and microfiber towel. Just be careful). This tool is used for pushing the V1 power wire under the roof liner, A piller, through the dash by the vent, etc. etc. until you reach the OBD port.
b) Savvy V1 Box
c) V1 straight power cord
d) V1 Windshield holder with suction cups (if you plan on moving the V1 between cars which is what I intended to do)

Pics (in order of V1 on windshield to Savvy Box)

Along the top of the windshield tucked under headliner:

Going to the A pillar and still tucked under the headliner and then the pillar:

Down the A pillar to the bottom of windshield and then tucked on the side of the dash (use some muscle!):

Close up of power cord tucked on side of dash and curling around air vent (looks like it can be seen, but I don't believe it's obtrusive. I may put more elbow grease on an work it down a bit more)

Another pic around the vent

This is where it gets a bit hard since you'll need to lift up the weatherstripping with your fingers and tuck the cord underneath.

Down the side of the dash tucked under the weatherstripping

From the weatherstripping around the rear hatch open button tucked

To the OBD port. The Savvy allows you to control warnings that appear at a specific low speed; I like it.

Reactions: Bull and Max

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Thanks for the thorough detail!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was driving around today and I was incorrect about the V1 turning off/on when the engine stop/starts. It doesn't really bother me that much to me as by the time I get rolling the unit is up and going. I do know that V1 does sell another small add on to defeat this, so I'll consider that option.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Have you noticed if your parking sensors trigger your alarm? My friend has a V-1 and my car triggers his.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If the V1 detects a radar signal, isn't it too late to slow down? lol Cops already got you.. Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm ignorant to radar detectors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do know that V1 does sell another small add on to defeat this, so I'll consider that option.
So, I did my V1 install pretty much identically to yours, just went down the other side to the fuse box. The boot up drives me nuts with the stop start, so I bought and installed the V1 "fix." It's a bit misleading. While it does keep power to the unit while you're stopped with the engine off (nearly pointless), it does not keep enough power to carry through the car's restart... and you still listen to it reboot. every. time.

One more reason to turn off the auto stop/start each time I get in the car.

Bottom line, the V1 is phenomenal, but I wouldn't buy the BOB add-on again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have you noticed if your parking sensors trigger your alarm? My friend has a V-1 and my car triggers his.
I've had no issues!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have installed the V1 in my Giulia (Base Model)...and I also bought the "B.O.B" from them as well, which is made so when the engine turns off during idle it won't restart the V1. I hardwired directly to the fuse box and the V1 still restarts every time the engine shuts off (yes, I tried the basic cigarette lighter connection too). I spoke with the manufacturer and they told me they have never heard of something like that happen before. They said I can return the "B.O.B" back within 30 days from purchase AND I have to pay for the shipping for their product not working. =/ Any thoughts?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow....thanks for the heads up guys. I was about to call V1 today and buy the B.O.B so I guess that's not a viable option. Looks like I'll live with the reboot or just simply turn stop/start off. Still love my V1 though :D

Reactions: Bull

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should check your fusebox for a fuse that doesn't turn off with your engine with a multimeter, best bet is interior lights or something of that nature. You would have to get a piggy back fuse holder and have dual fuses in one slot which is no problem. I'm 100% sure this can be done with a little detective work

I too have installed the V1 in my Giulia (Base Model)...and I also bought the "B.O.B" from them as well, which is made so when the engine turns off during idle it won't restart the V1. I hardwired directly to the fuse box and the V1 still restarts every time the engine shuts off (yes, I tried the basic cigarette lighter connection too). I spoke with the manufacturer and they told me they have never heard of something like that happen before. They said I can return the "B.O.B" back within 30 days from purchase AND I have to pay for the shipping for their product not working. =/ Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should check your fusebox for a fuse that doesn't turn off with your engine with a multimeter, best bet is interior lights or something of that nature. You would have to get a piggy back fuse holder and have dual fuses in one slot which is no problem. I'm 100% sure this can be done with a little detective work
I tried with a multimeter on numerous fuses. I did hardwire the radar itself, but the B.O.B. just wasn't functioning properly. Maybe it's just not made for Alfas.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If the V1 detects a radar signal, isn't it too late to slow down? lol Cops already got you.. Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm ignorant to radar detectors.
Better late than never:

Radar detectors work mainly on the spill over theory. A radar unit operating sends out energy in a predefined arc, and reads the returns to choose the strongest signal and display a calculated value. Meanwhile, all the extra energy continues down range, and is detectable. The police moved to "instant-on" radar to cure this defect, which means the radar only transmits when triggered, but as long as you are within detection range when someone in front of you is illuminated, you get a warning. If you are the only car o the road, the warning you get is simply that you may be about to get a ticket.

Laser is more interesting. Lidar is the correct term, and is actually an infrared coherent beam that is highly directional. You get very little spill over, BUT you can get a warning when a person in front of you is lasered and you get a hit or if you get lasered and they don't get a sufficent return from your vehicle. The inability to get a return can be caused by several things: lack of a front license plate, because officers are trained to aim at a front plate to get a good return; poor aim by the officer; dirty headlights that cause a weak return; illumination at extreme range.l
Generally, a radar/laser Detector is a useful tool for moderate traffic locations outside the city. In the city, various radar sensors and the other cars radar units often cause too many false returns. On the highway, if you are running alone, the Mk. 1 eyeball beats a detector, because there are no stray signals for it to pickup.

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just received the B.O.B. for my V1 and it works as advertised...no reboot after Auto/Stop/Start.
I measured the voltage during Auto/Stop/Start without B.O.B. to go as low as 8.8V returning to 'normal' after a few hundred milliseconds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts