Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
HI.

I have this very strange noise coming from the front suspension / steering.
It happens when I am turning the steering in a full lock to the right side, and starting to move.

Had the car in the service, they said they replaced some part in the front (no idea which), and all OK.

Today picked up the car from them, and the noise is still there, and even more often now.
Going back to them next week. Anyone has and Idea what that could be. ?

Car is fresh only 2000 miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If it is the tyres skipping and juddering, that is normal.

But, all I can hear in your video is a metallic clunk when you pull away; a metallic noise isn't normal (unless it is rusted pads unsticking from the rotor).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the link. This noise is bad. If i paid 20k for a Fiat i could maybe understand. But not when i pay 90k for a QV.
There most be some solution. My service just told me they replaced something. And since then i got more noise in more steering angles. Basically they made the noise worse. Going there next week lets see what they will say..

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The clicking noise I heard in the video is not normal and needs to be addressed. My Ti does not make that sound. Don't let your dealer sell you some BS. Hopefully, it's something simple, but it may prove hard to find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also don't think the noise is normal. In the first 1500 miles i had no noise from there.
This noise is new. I just hate leaving the car there. I had it there for 2 weeks, they were supposed to fix it. Now again same story.
I also have squeaking noise from the brakes. For that they gave me new pads (i paid for) and still noise is there. So they order new disks (on their cost) . They say my 1 hour visit to a track few weeks back is the blame for all.

But the best part is their first excuse when i went there. They told me my QV brakes are not for track. I shouldn't use the car on track. You sell me a 510hp car and tell me don't go to track. ?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I also don't think the noise is normal. In the first 1500 miles i had no noise from there.
This noise is new. I just hate leaving the car there. I had it there for 2 weeks, they were supposed to fix it. Now again same story.
I also have squeaking noise from the brakes. For that they gave me new pads (i paid for) and still noise is there. So they order new disks (on their cost) . They say my 1 hour visit to a track few weeks back is the blame for all.

But the best part is their first excuse when i went there. They told me my QV brakes are not for track. I shouldn't use the car on track. You sell me a 510hp car and tell me don't go to track. ?
That metallic boing in video definitively does not sound normal....

And you should probably get high temp track pads and change brake fluid if you will track the car, temps on track are much higher and track pads are made for such use while street pads are not. Track pads also dont work well on street because they are mostly too cold to operate at desired level.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I hear the distinctive "clink" when the car moves. I'd ask the techs to swap the brake pads from the LF to the RR and vice versa. Perhaps one is getting bound up and the tension keeper is being un-sprung? The pads should have a bit of free movement in the caliper.

Could be something jammed in between the rotor and inner rotor shield (though, unlikely if the clink only happens once per lock to lock of the wheel).

Could be a wheel bearing or could be the wheels themselves.

Don't laugh, but the Gen2 Cadillac CTS-V had a TSB for wheel torque. 140 ft/lbs !!

If the wheels on the CTS-V were not torqued properly to this seemingly absurd torque, the wheels would "click" at low speeds. Something between the bearing, rotor face and wheel mounting face did not like to flex or shift.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
My apologies.. @Cassino is right..I just heard that metallic clink..it sounded to me more like a clink than a dull clunk...I know that sounds silly...but the sound is clearly metallic and slight..very odd indeed...
my car at full lock acts as if it is skipping...but sounds nothing like this...
have you made the dealer aware yet??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This sound is not normal i know.
It might be something to do with the brake pads. As my brake pads were making squeaking noise from day 1. So I am waiting to see now how the new pads are going to hold in the next few days.

Maybe the pads, are "sticking" to the disc at a full steering lock. And once I start morning they are "releasing" making that noise. (Even though that noise sounds like some metallic part moving).

The thing is, if it really is a metallic part, shouldn't it be making this noise all the time regardless of movement, speed, angle?

Either way lets see what they say in the service. Just thought I will also run this issue here in the forum so that on my next visit to the service, I'll eat less BS from them.. I don't want look stupid and just go along and say "amen" to everything they tell me..

PS.
Posted the video again. it got deleted.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This sound is not normal i know.
It might be something to do with the brake pads. As my brake pads were making squeaking noise from day 1. So I am waiting to see now how the new pads are going to hold in the next few days.

Maybe the pads, are "sticking" to the disc at a full steering lock. And once I start morning they are "releasing" making that noise. (Even though that noise sounds like some metallic part moving).

The thing is, if it really is a metallic part, shouldn't it be making this noise all the time regardless of movement, speed, angle?

Either way lets see what they say in the service. Just thought I will also run this issue here in the forum so that on my next visit to the service, I'll eat less BS from them.. I don't want look stupid and just go along and say "amen" to everything they tell me..

PS.
Posted the video again. it got deleted.
I fixed the link in the OP for you.

My 4C has sticky brakes after a rain or I wash the car. In my case, it's rust forming on the rotors and the pads get stuck to the rust. A few hard stops burns off the rust and all is good once again. I've never noticed that on my Giulia though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It does sound like brakes to me. Note of caution: turning the steering with the car stationary as shown in the video puts huge stress on the steering and suspension. Try it on a car without power steering and you'll see what I mean!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did they fix it for you? my QV just hit 6500 miles and it's doing same thing

I have this very strange noise coming from the front suspension / steering.
It happens when I am turning the steering in a full lock to the right side, and starting to move.

Had the car in the service, they said they replaced some part in the front (no idea which), and all OK.

Today picked up the car from them, and the noise is still there, and even more often now.
Going back to them next week. Anyone has and Idea what that could be. ?

Car is fresh only 2000 miles.

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi m3g60,
If you decide to visit your local dealer to diagnose this concern and would like additional assistance, feel free to send us a PM.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares
Hi Sarah, Thank you for the reply. the car been sitting at the dealership for over 4 weeks, and I don't think I'll get it back soon. Alfa cars are the best cars I've ever owned but dealing with the service departments around the country that alone will push Alfa owners to go to a diff brand :( sad to say I am one of them. The cars are to die for but the reliability not to the standard :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally it's the power steering rack! they put the car on the lift and moved the driver wheel right and left by hand and got no noise. they did the same thing on the pass wheel and got vibration and noise. dealer ordered power steering rack. problem will be solved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts