Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
could be the battery
Nah, it’s the starter relay.

Seriously, my best guess for OP is shipping damage. Volume brands have their own bodyshops at the ports of entry just to repair shipping damage (and handle PIOs: port installed options, but that’s a different story). Small brands like AR likely use contract repair facilities that deal with several brands. If the shop sees only a few QVs each year, they’re likely not going to perform master-level repairs.

In my experience, a dealer doesn’t know whether a particular car has been reworked in port —the OEMs keep it very hush hush.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,746 Posts
Im sure the dealer will sort it right out..I mean it sucks that the car was delivered that way but it's easily remedied....and its such an awesome car it will soon be forgotten ...
The dealer already denied a fix for the hood. The OP said 10mm off, which is huge (maybe an exaggeration?); the kind of issue that I associate with poorly repaired accident damage. It might just be an adjustment, an expert needs to examine the car to make a determination.

My experience with accident damage repair is not good. My 1964 E-type had serious repair-ability issues such as

The OEM left front fender has the hole for the covered headlight in wrong place. At the factory some "expert" used a crowbar to bend the fender about 1/2 inch to make the headlight opening fit, then cut the back edge of the fender to align with the cowl.

Both OEM front fenders are manufactured with a "too long" skirt. To fit a new fender one needs to re-form the bottom edge of the skirt with some special tools. The edge is rolled with a stiff wire inside the roll.

The bonnet center panel shape does not match cowling shape. To fit a new bonnet you need a special tool to bend the welded on back edge re-enforcement to match the shape of the cowl.

Also for the record, if you buy a new bonnet it is not aftermarket--it is made by the OEM using the original tooling.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Today while driving mine went WWHAAAAARR again..

Help.
My 2.0T with the OEM muffler exhibited a sympathetic vibration IIRC when the engine is running at about 1400 RPM. This happens when accelerating gently at low speeds. No such behavior with my Fiammenghi exhaust. Also at 150kph the QV engine should be revved up enough to not exhibit such low frequency resonances.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Easier said than done over here. I bought mine unseen but I also bugged the dealer with loads of questions and asked for detailed videos and pictures. But I did inspect it fully before collection. Thankfully it was fine.
I owned a 2019 Veloce Lusso before with a good quality level --> no issues with the body. That's why I did not check the QV in detail when I picked up. I will be very sensitive next time.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,842 Posts
I owned a 2019 Veloce Lusso before with a good quality level --> no issues with the body. That's why I did not check the QV in detail when I picked up. I will be very sensitive next time.
so why the misleading heading that implies all QV have poor build quality

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lesson learned. Never buy a car sight unseen.
Over here in Europe, while showrooms have cars on display and sale, it is almost the 'norm' here to customize the car with various options & trims and have the dealer place the order with the manufacturer/supplier. This isn't just for Alfas but almost all car brands. Lead times can vary, but can be as little as 6-8 weeks from placing an order to getting delivery of the car. At least, it used be in pre-Covid times.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Over here in Europe, while showrooms have cars on display and sale, it is almost the 'norm' here to customize the car with various options & trims and have the dealer place the order with the manufacturer/supplier. This isn't just for Alfas but almost all car brands. Lead times can vary, but can be as little as 6-8 weeks from placing an order to getting delivery of the car. At least, it used be in pre-Covid times.
they don’t let you inspect car before signing and driving away? After you order and it comes to dealer you don’t have final look?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I feel your pain -- at least you don't expect that from a car that was built and shipped literally weeks/months ago. I drove my AWD Veloce above 235 km/h on one of the German autobahns and there was no booming.
(Side note: I didn't feel comfortable at that speed though the car was remarkably stable and responsive with no extra noise that I could make out apart from the engine, wind and road)

Is it coming from the drive shaft? You could try lifting off the accelerator at those speeds, or drop the it into neutral at the speeds when the noise appears and see if that is what is causing it.
I have a very faint hum which seems to originate from the middle of rear passenger footwell. I hear it when you press on the accelerator pedal vs. just coasting when lifting your foot off the pedal; but certainly not booming.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
The dealer already denied a fix for the hood. The OP said 10mm off, which is huge (maybe an exaggeration?); the kind of issue that I associate with poorly repaired accident damage. It might just be an adjustment, an expert needs to examine the car to make a determination.
Ah, I missed that, I did not equate workshop with dealer..my bad..

·
Registered
87 Posts
they don’t let you inspect car before signing and driving away? After you order and it comes to dealer you don’t have final look?
I'm sure they would let you inspect it, but many don't make a detailed inspection. After all, it was manufactured, built and shipped for you. It wasn't lying around on a dealer lot exposed to the elements for months or used as a test drive vehicle.

Usually people just take a quick look around the car when it comes to delivery. The dealer hands you the keys after the paperwork, explains the basics (radio, infotainment, settings, etc.). Some help you pair your phone, set up the audio system, radio etc. and off you go. :)

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,842 Posts
Maybe that’s why you are taking unusual offense to this thread. The word “all” isn’t in the thread title, nor did I find it to be implied.
umm, no, the OP uses the words BUILD QUALITY and claims and concludes that AR quality overall has decreased and not that he bought an isolated lemon ... its more than implied, its actually stated in his subsequent post,
the title implies the same -

As I mentioned, I owned several new ARs in the past and I am surprised that the quality is decreased.
the quality has not decreased, you bought an online, heavily discounted, damaged car

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Ah, I missed that, I did not equate workshop with dealer..my bad..
I could be wrong, but I saw warranty denied so I assumed that meant the workshop at the dealership. I am not at all familiar with the lingo used in Germany or how that translates to English.

·
Registered
87 Posts
you have proof this originated at Cassino ?
umm, no, the OP uses the words BUILD QUALITY and claims and concludes that AR quality overall has decreased and not that he bought an isolated lemon ... its more than implied, its actually stated in his subsequent post,
the title implies the same -

the quality has not decreased, you bought an online, heavily discounted, damaged car
And of course I have no doubt that you are holding irrefutable proof that
  • OP bought an isolated lemon
  • Alfa quality hasn't decreased in these Covid times with factory closures, parts shortage, factory personnel forced to take days off/part-time
  • That the car was damaged
🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
Thank's for all your inputs so far. It's a great international community here.
  • Hopefully, I will see by next week what the repair status is (I returned the QV on Aug, 24 to the dealer, which is 150 km away)
  • As well, I requested the dealer 2 weeks ago to tell me the production date in Cassino. So far no response.
  • There was another red and brand new QV with the same body issues - was surprising me
  • At my local dealer, I checked a black 2017 QV, which has the same hood issue
  • I looked at a lot of 4 cylinder models at the dealers and on my vacation in Itay and Austria. All the vehicles did not have those body issues.
  • There are a couple of QVs closed to my home, which I plan to check by next week

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I feel your pain -- at least you don't expect that from a car that was built and shipped literally weeks/months ago. I drove my AWD Veloce above 235 km/h on one of the German autobahns and there was no booming.
(Side note: I didn't feel comfortable at that speed though the car was remarkably stable and responsive with no extra noise that I could make out apart from the engine, wind and road)
As mentioned before, I owned a Veloce Lusso and I can confirm this was a quiet and stable car a high speeds. That's why I assume that the QV is on the same level - no 4WD and 6 cylinder.

Is it coming from the drive shaft? You could try lifting off the accelerator at those speeds, or drop the it into neutral at the speeds when the noise appears and see if that is what is causing it.
I have a very faint hum which seems to originate from the middle of rear passenger footwell. I hear it when you press on the accelerator pedal vs. just coasting when lifting your foot off the pedal; but certainly not booming.
My QV produces the noises and vibrations at a constant speed at appr. 150-160 kph (peak). As mentioned, the dealer made a reference ride with another QV and confirmed the same behaviour. That's why he does not see any further action.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
This is the way in Europe. The current lead times for QVs are appr. 4 months, due to component shortages. I took a pre-ordered one and due to two reasons: I wanted to drive the vehicle in the summertime and the rosso Competizione was not orderable anymore in Germany. Now, it is replaced by rosso Nero.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts