Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my QV last Thursday and I thought I would share some insights. Below I've posted a video of the car coming off the truck as well as a general pic. Overall, this car just puts a crazy smile on my face in the short period of time that I've had it :D

Day 1 (and weekend):

Two Gremlins:
- Had a little quirk where my system settings are "US", but the outdoor temp still showed C. Went to the settings and picked "Metric" then back to "US" and that cleared it up.
- While playing music off my phone last night at one point the infotainment system rebooted. Once the audio came back, everything was fine. Will monitor closely.

Now the good stuff:
- Wow, wow, wow......is this thing mine?
- Carbon fiber and Black 5 Hole Wheels really pop on white
- Car really has a presence
- Interior is great. I know some reviewers mentioned "cheaper" parts, but it feels pretty good to me. Perhaps the rotary knobs could have a little bit of more "heft" to them. In addition, I think it would have been nice to have the shifter surrounded in leather instead of the hard rubber/plastic
- I noticed initially that the hood alignment on the passenger side was off. I pushed it down, but it came back up again. However, I discovered that you really need to push closer to the side of the hood to catch the latch. Both sides have a latch so be aware when you are popping the hood (which you will be for friends.....a lot)
- Steering wheel looks and feels great; top quality. Though to be honest, I wish it were just a tad bit thicker. Also, while the alcantara on the steering wheel looks great it will be interesting if it will stand the test of time with constant use.
- The car gets up to speed VERY fast. I found myself excessively speeding when I wasn't paying close attention.
- I like to use the paddles as the shifter takes some time getting use to; paddles look gorgeous and feel good. I love my 03 M3 SMG shifter; that just feels great in the hand. Over the weekend, I experimented more with using the shifter and now it does feel more comfortable. A I have another car that is a manual it's nice to be able to do your own shifting so I 'm not sure how much I'll use the automatic mode except perhaps in traffic.
- Stop/Start was not initialized for the first 80 or so miles of the car, but then kicked "on". I don't like it and anticipate turning it off most of the time.
- Love Dynamic mode. Drove a bit in Normal mode too. Exhaust not quite as loud as I thought it might be, but you can hear it. Can't wait to try Race.
- Kept the revs moving around to work the engine. Exceptionally smooth moving up or down multiple gears at the same time (double-tap/triple-tap).
- I agree with reviewers that the brakes are indeed touchy and can be tricky to modulate stop to stop. I've gotten better over the weekend, but I'm not sure how much "smoother" I'll get it.
- Got some thumbs up and "what kind of car is that?" looks
- Infotainment system seems to work well. I had no problem establishing Bluetooth to my Iphone 7. I attached a 64Gb Samsung USB flash drive for music and all the folders showed up. Bluetooth streaming music also worked well.
- I boosted the Bass and Treble way up (Bass is at 7, Treble is at 8, Midrange at 6). Turned off Surround Sound. Seems to sound good. Bose in my 997 911TT is definitely better. I did hear that it takes awhile to "break in" the speakers.....ummmm....I guess we'll see.
- Turn in is sharp and responsive; decent road feedback from steering wheel.
- Seats are awesome. I love the adjustable bolsters though I might have to make them so they are not too tight since I don't want any needless leather scuffing on entry/exist. It is interesting that the seat moves back when you get out of the car, but doesn't move forward again. I'm a little short so when I enter the car I have to stretch just a bit to press the brake pedal so I can start the engine. Not that big of a deal, but just take note.
- I think the lane departure warning is hilarious/cool.

So that's it for now. I intend to follow up with a 1 month thread, a 6 month thread, a 9 month thread (since this car will be driving in snow), and 1 Year.

Delivery Video (not sure how to embed here)
https://youtu.be/Hq-UbrMDUmc

·
Registered
75 Posts
Those reviewers were not objective, if you make a serious quality analysis of Giulia interior and its competitors, is on par with A4, slightly better than C-Class and way better than XE or 3-series. Of course there's no perfect car, all have their up and down.
Unfortunately due to ages of mind wash about german quality, most reviewers and even worse journalists (due to the heavy advertising contracts of german premium makers, and some german editors like Motor Presse(Auto Motor und Sport,Sport Auto,l'automobile etc. ) and Axel Springer(Autobild,Autoexpress etc. ) which control many automobile magazines in Europe,Asia and South America) are not objective, prejudicious and over analytic when they review an italian car, and instead overlook the flaws of the german models, germans don't play fair and honest.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
Those reviewers were not objective, if you make a serious quality analysis of Giulia interior and its competitors, is on par with A4, slightly better than C-Class and way better than XE or 3-series. Of course there's no perfect car, all have their up and down.
Unfortunately due to ages of mind wash about german quality, most reviewers and even worse journalists (due to the heavy advertising contracts of german premium makers, and some german editors like Motor Presse(Auto Motor und Sport,Sport Auto,l'automobile etc. ) and Axel Springer(Autobild,Autoexpress etc. ) which control many automobile magazines in Europe,Asia and South America) are not objective, prejudicious and over analytic when they review an italian car, and instead overlook the flaws of the german models, germans don't play fair and honest.
Thanks for taking the time to share when you could be out driving.

Wards certainly appreciated the Giulia's interior, though I must say I chuckled at "La Scala-worthy Harmon Kardon premium audio system". Maybe I just haven't played anything worthy through it yet.

My biggest concerns are driver's floor mat retention (I'm not accustomed to Velcro for the purpose), scuffing, and dash/door leather reaction to heat/cold/sunlight. The driver's seat seems to rock back a little when I sit down but otherwise remains solidly in place. The glove box doesn't latch if closed too gently, and there's a general shortage of interior storage.

http://wardsauto.com/10-best-interiors/nothin-amor-alfa-romeo-giulia

·
Registered
166 Posts
I respectfully disagree on the quality of the interior. I love my Giulia, but objectively the interior is not to Audi levels of quality. Audi are still at a different level. I don't own an Audi, and I don't have plans to buy one, but I have to give them credit where credit is due. Interior quality is a major focus for them and it shows in the product.

The Giulia interior is good enough that it doesn't distract from the amazing driving experience. Driving experience is the major focus for Alfa, and it shows in the product.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I respectfully disagree on the quality of the interior. I love my Giulia, but objectively the interior is not to Audi levels of quality. Audi are still at a different level. I don't own an Audi, and I don't have plans to buy one, but I have to give them credit where credit is due. Interior quality is a major focus for them and it shows in the product.

The Giulia interior is good enough that it doesn't distract from the amazing driving experience. Driving experience is the major focus for Alfa, and it shows in the product.
I would agree with you. I've owned 3 Audis and the interiors of each of them were well done. I actually like the Giulia interior a lot; I just hope the materials/fit/finish stand the test of time.

·
Registered
75 Posts

That's not true, if you make a serious analysis of fit and finish and material quality you would be surprised to find that Giulia is at least on par with A4, slightly better than C-Class, and way better than XE and 3-series.

I've seen some journalists and reviewers criticise the use of harder plastic on Giulia's lower door panels, well surprise recent Audis like the new A4, the new Q7 and the new Q5 have also harder plastics on lower door panels but I haven't seen anybody criticise Audi.
Of course the use of harder and not soft touch plastic on lower door panels improve durability.
All other plastics are soft touch and at least on par with Audi, Alfa on Giulia and Stelvio has the same supplier with Audi Faurecia, but the material used by Giulia is more innovative as employs 20% hemp-fiber material and is 25% lighter.
It's not a surprise that Faurecia, that usually has an Audi interior as main exhibit, at Frankfurt 2015 motor show, had the Giulia interior as main exhibit, as had more innovations than the new A4 interior who also had its premiere.
Competitors like Audi A4,Mercedes C-Class and BMW 3-series use the tablet like infotainment which is the cheapest and simplest way of integration, Giulia presented another innovation with the patented "Deco Display" which is the first example of fusion between component and decoration, a fusion between the display and the surface. It's not a surprise that Audi e-tron Sportback concept adopted a similar solution.
The aluminum steering column mounted paddles adopted by Giulia has far superior quality and feel than those plastic steering wheel mounted paddles used by Audi,Mercedes and BMW.
Giulia is the only car in its segment that has all pillars lined with fabric.
Giulia and Jaguar XE are the only cars in this segment that offer full grain/"pieno fiore" leather option, also they are the only that don't use leatherette/"eco" leather for dashboard and door panels lining but real leather. Leather quality in all germans brands Audi,BMW and Mercedes is inferior and they even offer cheap leatherette as a premium feature e.g. Mercedes Artico/MB-Tex

It's not true that Audi fit and finish is perfect, take the example of this new Audi A4, the fit and finish of the side dashboard panel is poor (check first picture)

To make another example the air vents of Giulia are better made than those of the new Audi A4, the fit and finish of the central tunnel is superior also.

The only parts that A4 finish is superior are the controls/rotors of the "a/c" and the rotor of the infotainment.

The rest is on par including the lower dashboard, roof module and door panels plastics.

p.s. what I would criticise about Giulia and almost any other car in it's class is the lack of lining on door panel pockets and armrest box, but I'm hopeful as Stelvio has lining in both, the door panel pockets are larger, and the various clima control and infotainment rotors feedback is also better, let's wait and see if all those improvements make it to Giulia MY2018.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Rossocompetizione I bet you are an insider....am I wrong? If I'm correct I would like to ask you a couple of questions offline....... Grazie!

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
@Rosso...BMW in their e90/e92 cars had the integrated screen in the dash....UNLESS you did not order the NAV see attched pic of my E92 M3....when you order the NAV the dash would have that center "hump" which integrated the dash....
not very cost effective to have to have 2 different dash designs....
I'm not a fan of the tablet in my 340xi..but for the sake of being objective....this tablet design is new to BMW...with the new F30/F80 3 series platform...
as far as the nobs...a/c controls etc...look familier?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
@Rosso...BMW in their e90/e92 cars had the integrated screen in the dash....UNLESS you did not order the NAV see attched pic of my E92 M3....when you order the NAV the dash would have that center "hump" which integrated the dash....
not very cost effective to have to have 2 different dash designs....
I'm not a fan of the tablet in my 340xi..but for the sake of being objective....this tablet design is new to BMW...with the new F30/F80 3 series platform...
as far as the nobs...a/c controls etc...look familier?
Of course the tablet is more cost effective, but what matters is not simply the integration, but the type of integration, the patented "DeCo display" presented a fusion between display and surface which is the first example of fusion between component and decoration, this is the future of the interior design, the clima controls of the new Range Rover Velar is another example of integration between component and decoration.

p.s. There's nothing in common between Cherokee and Giulia climate controls

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
There's nothing in common between Cherokee and Giulia climate controls
Meaning just a few shared buttons, right? I like the Guilia's climate control controls. The Cherokee's ain't bad, neither.

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy Hijacked Thread Batman! :D

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Holy Hijacked Thread Batman! :D
Sorry Marks my apologies
I always was of the belief that these forums were meant to be places to get objectivity as well as share ones enthusiasm for a brand/model. I obviously love the car as I waited 1.5 years deposit paid for my Quad but you can't always view things through rose colored glasses or as we say in Italy with prosciutto in your eyes :grin2:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Meaning just a few shared buttons, right? I like the Guilia's climate control controls. The Cherokee's ain't bad, neither.
No, there's nothing in common, the only Jeep model that has common climate control with an Alfa model is the 2015 Jeep Renegade which has the same climate control with the 2010 Alfa Romeo Giulietta and the 2015 Fiat 500X.
Jeep Cherokee share the climate control layout and some knobs and buttons of the climate controls with Dodge Dart,Fiat Viaggio,Fiat Ottimo, Chrysler 200,Chrysler Pacifica and 2017 Jeep Compass

Attachments

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
No, there's nothing in common, the only Jeep model that has common climate control with an Alfa model is the 2015 Jeep Renegade which has the same climate control with the 2010 Alfa Romeo Giulietta and the 2015 Fiat 500X.
Jeep Cherokee share the climate control layout and some knobs and buttons of the climate controls with Dodge Dart,Fiat Viaggio, Fiat Ottimo, Chrysler 200, Chrysler Pacifica and 2017 Jeep Compass
That makes sense. The Renegade and 500X are built at the same plant in Italy, and the Dart, 200, and Cherokee use (used in the case of the Dart and 200) FCA's Giulietta-based CUSW architecture.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I respectfully disagree on the quality of the interior. I love my Giulia, but objectively the interior is not to Audi levels of quality.

Sounds like you're describing my Corvette​ Z060:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
a C7???....ohhh I like those...the interiors are such a step up from last gen Z06...and the power is just unreal.....
Yeah, C7 Z06, I've been daily driving it for almost 2 years now, love everything about it, except that it only has 2 seats:laugh:. I'm looking for a fun sports sedan that can carry 4 people, thus my reason for being here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts