Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am a prospective Quad owner. I took it for a test drive and loved the way it drove. It was slightly crisper and quicker than the BMW M3 and Merc C63S sedan I am also comparing. However, I felt the interior of the Quad was not as nice as the M3 and certainly not as nice as the Merc.

One other niggle I noticed while test driving, was that the front park distance sensor beeping seemed to erratically work, as in sensing a metal sign post. Additionally, it would not stop beeping, even when it was put in PARK.

Therefore, am I to understand that I can't sit in my car and wait with the AC on in Park without it continually beeping until I turn the car off? I'm hoping this was fixed in a software update that this 2018 somehow did not have.

Additionally, are the front parking sensors adequate enough to beep appropriately before hitting a curb or concrete parking stop?

I'm looking forward to responses to these questions!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am a prospective Quad owner. I took it for a test drive and loved the way it drove. It was slightly crisper and quicker than the BMW M3 and Merc C63S sedan I am also comparing. However, I felt the interior of the Quad was not as nice as the M3 and certainly not as nice as the Merc.

One other niggle I noticed while test driving, was that the front park distance sensor beeping seemed to erratically work, as in sensing a metal sign post. Additionally, it would not stop beeping, even when it was put in PARK.

Therefore, am I to understand that I can't sit in my car and wait with the AC on in Park without it continually beeping until I turn the car off? I'm hoping this was fixed in a software update that this 2018 somehow did not have.

Additionally, are the front parking sensors adequate enough to beep appropriately before hitting a curb or concrete parking stop?

I'm looking forward to responses to these questions!
Just as a note, you can turn the sensors off! There is a button on the left side where the auto start/stop button is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just as a note, you can turn the sensors off! There is a button on the left side where the auto start/stop button is.
I don't think I should have to turn manually turn off the sensors every time I park do I? They should go off when in park, correct? My wife especially will need the front sensors so she doesn't smash the carbon splitter against curbs!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't think I should have to turn manually turn off the sensors every time I park do I? They should go off when in park, correct? My wife especially will need the front sensors so she doesn't smash the carbon splitter against curbs!
It’s really there to disable when the sensors are constantly going off. I think it defaults back on when you restart the car. Not sure though...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Unfortunately, the park sense is all on or all off kind of option on the Giulias. I agree it is annoying to have the car constantly bitching about how close you are to something when it is in park however that is how it is designed. My fix is to pull back until she stops bitching or park somewhere else but that is just me.

Another member might have a workaround however after 7 months of owning her and looking through the menus I have yet to find a solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess I can live with this. How is the active cruise control? It ended up breaking on my other 2010 vehicle and to be honest, I don’t miss it since it would always seem to react slowly usually giving more space between me and the car in front of me which ended up with a bunch of cars slipping in front of me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I guess I can live with this. How is the active cruise control? It ended up breaking on my other 2010 vehicle and to be honest, I don’t miss it since it would always seem to react slowly usually giving more space between me and the car in front of me which ended up with a bunch of cars slipping in front of me.
So I've only had my car a week and only drove it to work twice this week but I LOVE the active cruise. You can set the distance and it reacted faster than I could in a couple circumstances. Might be worth an extended test drive to see if you like it but it's right up my alley.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As this is my first car with ACC I cannot compare to other cars on the market, however the choice of three distances is a nice. With that said even on the shortest people can easily sneak in front of you if they are aggressive enough, or clueless, or paying attention to their phone, etc.

Also I had an issue with the sensor which was easily solved by a software update however this shouldn't be an issue with a new car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
As this is my first car with ACC I cannot compare to other cars on the market, however the choice of three distances is a nice. With that said even on the shortest people can easily sneak in front of you if they are aggressive enough, or clueless, or paying attention to their phone, etc.

Also I had an issue with the sensor which was easily solved by a software update however this shouldn't be an issue with a new car.
Definitely true.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ACC is great but you have to accept that it isnt going to drive the same way a human would. Its just a sensor with a computer trying to keep a given distance based on your setting and speed. It cant recognize that traffic is about to stop and start coasting or braking early, and it cant recognize that the line in front is about to start going so it will always be a bit slower to react. I really like using it but I do use it kind of actively. I will turn it off if it starts accelerating but I can see that coasting or braking is more appropriate even though the car in front of me is still accelerating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the ACC feedback. It doesn't sound like the technology has advanced much since 2010, which is fine. If I do buy this car, I'm going into it knowing its a drivers car with minimal luxury. I do worry about long term ownership since we keep our cars for 10+ years...... However, I am mechanically inclined and currently perform all mechanical work on our current vehicles.... I just don't want to be working on the Giulia all the time!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Same here. We “think we are going to keep our cars for 10 years” but we typically end up trading sooner otherwise I would be about 150 years old based on cars X 10 = 150. We did buy the 8 year 125,000 miles. The car is worth the depreciation if it was salvage value after 8 years. No concerns we just wanted to be covered since I think the QV will be a keeper car.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I still can't figure out what the greeting lights do and it's been over a month. I read in a guide that they are tied to the courtesy lights which the manual said are the lights in the sun visor mirror, but my lights turn on with this setting too.

I also wish there was a way to display the volume level at all times, ideally to replace the presets that I don't use, but anywhere would be helpful

·
Registered
691 Posts
I still can't figure out what the greeting lights do and it's been over a month. I read in a guide that they are tied to the courtesy lights which the manual said are the lights in the sun visor mirror, but my lights turn on with this setting too.

I also wish there was a way to display the volume level at all times, ideally to replace the presets that I don't use, but anywhere would be helpful
Speaking of volume, how do you turn down the ringer volume for phone alerts....it's obnoxiously loud to the point my kid covers his ears. I read here that you have to wait for a call to come in and you can turn it down with the volume control. But does that permanently set it from that point on?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yes, different actions have different volumes and you have to wait for those actions to occur to change the volume during those actions

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello everyone, after putting on 1200 miles on the Giulia Q in the last few weeks we've had a few quirks. Nothing major but they're still an issue.
  1. A service CEl pops up upon a remote cold start. This only occurs during a remote start.
  2. The interior hood release has somehow become detacted and needs to be warrintied. This occured while the car was getting wrapped and detailed; not their fault.
  3. During the window tinting process the interior lights were left on due to the doors being left ajar. The battery was drained slightly and needed to be jump started. Afterwards the dashboard became a Christmas tree. There was a general CEL along with a plethora of other lights. After 30 or so minutes of driving these issues resolved themselves after 30 +/- minutes of driving.
All of these quirks haven't been been too big but I'm curious if anyone has had these happen yet. Feel free to leave your .2¢ :smile2:
Nothing like that happened to me.
I had a loose wiring harness that the dealer took 23 days to fix, and bad rotors and/or pads which had to be replaced. No issues outside that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I pull into the garage at home, the QV will often auto-stop.
Rather than leave the car in a suspended condition, I restart the car and turn it off using the stop/start button.

I am concerned if I do not go thru this procedure that the car is not complete turned off and may degrade the battery. I purposely did not go through this process on one occasion and found the radio running several hours after parking.

Anybody else have this concern?

If it's in SS state, doesn't it restart when you put it in park?

81 - 100 of 122 Posts