Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I FINALLY got my '74 Fiat X1/9 back on the road after being down for a burnt exhaust valve. I spent Saturday morning checking all the fluids, firing it up and balancing the dual 40 DCNFs, dialing in the ignition, cam timings, and idle mixtures, I then took it out for its maiden drive in many years. This was my track day car for years. Those who know X1/9s will attest to what an amazingly well handling car this is. Direct rack and pinion unassisted steering has always been top tier. This car rocks.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

So I head down the street doing around 35 mph and take the first right turn down the street and damn near miss the corner because I misjudged the amount of steering input needed to make the turn! Holy crap! For a split second I wondered if I was severely toe'd out or if I left the steering column loose or something. After a couple more turns, my brain acclimated to the fact that I wasn't driving my QF. In effect, I had the opposite experience that some journalists have claimed, whereby they almost crashed because the steering input they provided was too much entering a corner. In my case it was too little! The X1/9 still has excellent steering where feedback is concerned. But the QF has ruined it for me, at least with regard to speed. The X1/9 has better feedback, now if I could just tighten up that ratio...

Premium Member
My John Deere lawn mower has direct rack and pinion steering....it's not something I ever thought I would hear somebody brag about馃榿

Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
Yes, once you're used to driving the Quad you can take it for granted.
I realize how good these cars are when I drive someone else's sporty car..the steering especially.

Registered
I had a 76鈥 X19 and I do have to say that I miss that car. She wasn鈥檛 modded out, so that 0 to 60 time wasn鈥檛 blowing minds, but one fun to drive and we鈥檒l balanced ride.

Registered
There鈥檚 another thread here where a bunch of us (much larger number than I would have guessed) agreed the X1/9 was our gateway drug to Italian cars. I sold mine in 1990 when i bought my Milano. I miss my Milano but I REALLY miss my X1/9 馃槩

Registered
Alfa's lighting quick steering makes it distinctive on the market. Could use more road feel and weighting but overall I think it's among the best EPS on the market.

BMW's is heavier but their EPS still lacks organic road feel and natural tightness/resistance. The M2's is passable. Haven't experienced the new M3/4.

Porsche's steering is the closest to hydraulic in my opinion. Very natural weighting, resistance, road feel. Not as darting quick as Alfa, on purpose.

Registered

Registered
Gee, thanks for all of the kind words, folks!

If any of you are -really- interested, there's a photo album of the car which I compiled prior to my selling the car in 2017 (I had to make way in my garage for a Boxster S) here:

Photobucket

( ... and my repeated apologies for hi-jacking the OP's thread topic!)

Reactions: Alfa Nut

Registered
Yep 12:1 ratio is very quick compared to pretty much any other car on the road. Whats the ratio on an X1/9?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts