Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been following the forum and found lots of good advice and information on how Giulia have been functioning in track days. Of course, most of the information we have are from QVs and I thought that the experience I had with the Ti Q4 may be useful for others.

First of all, this car was a special order, so it came from factory exactly as I wanted: Misano Blue, black interior, 19” Sport package, no moonroof, FCW and the performance package (active suspension and mechanical LSD). So far, the car has been a great daily driver and I decided to bring it to the BMWCCA Windy City chapter event at the Autobahn Country Club. I have driven this track a few times in my Mini Cooper and it is a good and safe environment to have Giulia stretching her legs. And the event is really well run with a lot of cars (125 participants in four driving groups). We all know that the Giulia is pretty and I had lots of thumbs up and people interested on knowing more about the car.

The car is completely stock: I did not change pads or brake fluid and it was using the crappy all seasons that come with all Q4s (Cinturato P7 UTGQ 500).

Now to the track: I put the car in Dynamic mode with harder damper setting and automatic mode, as I was trying to focus on the line and taking a new (and faster) car to the track. The first laps were as other people described here: the ESC kicks in and brings the car to very slow corner exits. But, the most frustrating part was yet to come: after 8 laps, I got a message to “check AWD system” and the car was automatically put on Natural mode, meaning that I would get earlier upshifts (really bad for speed as I was on 7th gear on the straight…) and the damper mode went back to soft. This really made the experience suck a little bit, although I could learn a little bit more about weight transfer…

At first, I thought it was related to attack some curbs aggressively and used the same setup for the second session: same thing happened. The car is not undriveable (no limp mode), but it behaves much more as a street daily driver than a performance car. That would be fine, but, nonetheless, frustrating. I started then to downshift with the paddles and things went a little bit better, although I could not override the Natural mode, soft damper settings and the intrusiveness of the ESC.

Before the third session, my instructor (thanks John!) came with the idea to use full manual mode then. And this, CHANGED THE EXPERIENCE COMPLETELY! Using the manual mode, I could run the remaining sessions without any “check AWD message”. Moreover, I could now keep the car at the right power band during the whole track and even enjoy the straights stretching gears to the rev limiter. This is great as, in this setup, the Giulia does not upshift for you - it lets you do all the work. It appears that the computers “understand” that Dynamic mode, hard damper setting AND manual mode mean that you want to drive hard, thus allowing you to do that. In this setup, the Giulia was well poised on the corners, did not have much intrusion of the ESC as I could exit corners flat out and, more important, it had more tolerance for pushing the car harder. I even had one or two opportunities with a little bit of “happy” tail, what is remarkable for an AWD car (and naturally prone to understeer). Even with the crappy tires, and crappy driving :surprise:, I was able to maintain a good rhythm, being only slower than track prepped cars and new M3/M4s in an Intermediate driver group. All I can say is that, in this setup, the Giulia behaved as it should and I fell in love again with my car. In the end of the last two sessions, brakes were done: I got a warning for overheated brakes (of course, they were stock). I am sure that with proper pads and fluid and better tires, the entire experience will improve a lot, making the car even better.

And, in the end, I could have my 3 hour drive back home and still get 36mpg… As soon as I edit them, I will post a video with a good lap.

Attachments

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
hmm, something weird with the forum today - I think I commented on three threads this am, and none of my comments are there. I'm pretty sure others had replied on this thread - and they are not here.
and on another thread it says Greg at EC made the last comment - but it's not there either, so I'm pretty darn sure I wasn't still asleep.
maybe they will all magically appear overnight.

·
Registered
443 Posts
hmm, something weird with the forum today - I think I commented on three threads this am, and none of my comments are there. I'm pretty sure others had replied on this thread - and they are not here.
and on another thread it says Greg at EC made the last comment - but it's not there either, so I'm pretty darn sure I wasn't still asleep.
maybe they will all magically appear overnight.
Edit: It's a duplicate thread
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...ussion/38088-ti-sport-q4-pp-track-review.html

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
thank you - I saw there was a duplicate barn raising thread, but didn't see this one.
but "weak in the knees" seems to be missing the last noted "post by Greg", so I don't think he was asleep like I may have been.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was duplicated... It was my first version but it did not go through (at least I thought it did not). If moderators want to delete it, the other thread is the "active" one. Sorry and thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts