Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i put the giulia on the car lift, the thing im concerned with is that the car wile placed straight on the lifting points has its back end way out more than other cars, doenst look like its in the midle of the lift, i lifted it couple inches of the ground, looks really stable after rocking it, but im afraid to raise it up lol

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
What could go wrong??

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've had my car on my lift, no problem but that may not be the case for you and your particular lift. On a new vehicle I haven't lifted yet I always eyeball it from the side to see if it looks right. Our cars with approx. 50-50 weight distribution should be centered somewhat. Front wheel drive or heavy V-8's always are back a little, Rear engine always are a little forward. This is for a 2 post lift.

Hope I make sense, my nomenclature on this isn't the best.

The couple inches isn't the problem (although I always raise the car a couple inches and wiggle it to make sure it's solid), it's when they're up at working height and the anchor bolts rip out of the ground due to too much weight forward or aft.

You might want to contact the lift manufacturer to get there opinion.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive raise more than 50 cars on that lift, and the alfa had to be different lol -_-

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ive raise more than 50 cars on that lift, and the alfa had to be different lol -_-
Of course!

But knowing you've raised that many cars, I think you have a pretty good idea whats safe or not.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Picture(s)?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The Quadrifoglio is challenging on lifts with multi-stage arms for sure. The fore/aft placement is critical so the 2nd stage of the arm doesn't hit on the lower sill panel.

Driving the car onto board is an easy fix or using 1" spacers. Definitely tricky

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm with tadslc.
I'll put anything on my twin post.
Just a matter of how many wood-block spacers it may need.
Block it, raise it so that the tires all lift a few inches off of the ground, grab a hold of the rear wheel opening and jerk it back and forth and up and down. If it doesn't come off of the lift arms, it's all good.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
so i put the giulia on the car lift, the thing im concerned with is that the car wile placed straight on the lifting points has its back end way out more than other cars, doenst look like its in the midle of the lift, i lifted it couple inches of the ground, looks really stable after rocking it, but im afraid to raise it up lol
I think as long as the posts are centered between the axles and presuming that the lifting points are equidistant from the axles and also presuming that you haven't done anything to substantially upset the 50-50 balance of the car, you should be 100% OK. After all the lift should be able to cope with an off balance car reasonably well. How much visible bulk of the car extends out one way or the other doesn't matter much (if the mass of the car extends far beyond the lifting points it might have a tendency to teeter, but you aren't trying to lift a 30' box truck from points that are only 6' apart), it is the position of the CG of the car that matters.

Here is a perhaps safer and certainly less expensive alternative to a two post lift:

https://www.facebook.com/jackpointjackstands/

It is possible to use wood blocks under the stands to get the assembly up to the height a floor jack can reach.
These things are overpriced and on backorder (several month wait time)--good for them.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I suppose I should have made clear I was interested of pictures of the car on the lift. :smile2:
ahh, well next time ill have it on the lift ill take a pic :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts