·
Registered
249 Posts
Now that's nice to hear!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
I am very glad to hear my family will be cocooned in the event of an accident. Now my only wish is for my family not to slowly roast in the Florida heat due to the AC not functioning properly.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
Ahem, Top Safety Pick+

** The TSP+ designation applies to any 2017 model-year Alfa Romeo Giulia produced after May 2017 equipped with Forward Collision Warning-Plus – an option at only $500 MSRP – and bi-xenon projector headlamps (35W) featuring adaptive forward lighting and auto-leveling.

·
Banned
264 Posts
This is only applicable to vehicles built after May 2017 when structural changes were made...earlier vehicles will likely fair much worse.

·
Banned
264 Posts
What structural changes?
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/alfa-romeo/giulia-4-door-sedan
"Beginning with 2017 models built after May 2017, the front-end structure was modified and the door hinge pillar and sill were reinforced to improve occupant protection in small overlap and moderate overlap frontal crashes. (Information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on the driver door or adjacent B-pillar.)"
Another perk of alfa pushing out a half baked car.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
As far as I know the "old" giulia got highest safety marks from european safety authority some time ago, so i doubt that models build before May would fare "much worse"

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
"Beginning with 2017 models built after May 2017, the front-end structure was modified and the door hinge pillar and sill were reinforced to improve occupant protection in small overlap and moderate overlap frontal crashes. (Information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on the driver door or adjacent B-pillar.)"
Be sure to hit any targets squarely, boys and girls. It's always best to engage both frame rails, no matter what you're driving.

·
Banned
264 Posts
As far as I know the "old" giulia got highest safety marks from european safety authority some time ago, so i doubt that models build before May would fare "much worse"
yet they had to make these structural changes, why? Because EuroNcap only does a 40 percent overlap and full on test...so yes, they would fair much worse in small overlap tests..

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Let me put it this way....unless MacGeek tells me that old Giulia will fare "much worse" in a highly specifically designed test I am not going to lose any sleep over that....something tells me you have no basis for your "much worse" statement....for all we know design change is minimal and probably made so that car would perform stelarly in a very specific test...All safety tests have been controversial from one angle or the other but most modern cars are extremely crash worthy

·
Banned
264 Posts
Let me put it this way....unless MacGeek tells me that old Giulia will fare "much worse" in a highly specifically designed test I am not going to lose any sleep over that....something tells me you have no basis for your "much worse" statement....for all we know design change is minimal and probably made so that car would perform stelarly in a very specific test...All safety tests have been controversial from one angle or the other but most modern cars are extremely crash worthy
I wouldn't trust a thing someone affiliated with the company tells you.... We can agree that the next step down from a good rating is acceptable and that at the very least it is acceptable and no longer good - there is a significant difference between a good and acceptable rating .... My basis for my statement is that the company spent money making this change....

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wouldn't trust a thing someone affiliated with the company tells you.... We can agree that the next step down from a good rating is acceptable and that at the very least it is acceptable and no longer good.... My basis for my statement is that the company spent money making this change....
My question for you would be, why should we trust a thing you tell us. I see no information in your profile or signature that indicates your location or even if you own a Giulia. To me it would be nice if every member here gave their location and specifics about what Giulia owned (if any). It is nice to be able to tell if a member is with admin, a mod, a vendor or dealer, and any affiliation with Alfa. Many members list no pertinent info.

Although it seems to me that MacGeek is extremely knowledgeable and perhaps thus affiliated in some way with Alfa/FCA, I only know that he is located in Torino. My sister lives in Michigan but that doesn't mean she is affiliated with Ford. Obviously some here seem to know what affiliation MacGeek might have, but others like me would like to know.

So I have to make the best conclusion I can here on many subjects of interest to me. Many times I see conflicting information from different posts. In this case I'm fairly confident that my Giulia with 2/17 build date is very crash safe. That is based on what I read here plus my already having seen the Euro crash test.

Your statement that you wouldn't trust anything coming from someone affiliated with the company is to me unreasonably negative and I will ignore any of your comments in the future. I will continue to consider many or all of MacGeek's and Lowflyer's posts as accurate.

Reactions: DragonKart

·
Banned
264 Posts
My question for you would be, why should we trust a thing you tell us. I see no information in your profile or signature that indicates your location or even if you own a Giulia. To me it would be nice if every member here gave their location and specifics about what Giulia owned (if any). It is nice to be able to tell if a member is with admin, a mod, a vendor or dealer, and any affiliation with Alfa. Many members list no pertinent info.

Although it seems to me that MacGeek is extremely knowledgeable and perhaps thus affiliated in some way with Alfa/FCA, I only know that he is located in Torino. My sister lives in Michigan but that doesn't mean she is affiliated with Ford. Obviously some here seem to know what affiliation MacGeek might have, but others like me would like to know.

So I have to make the best conclusion I can here on many subjects of interest to me. Many times I see conflicting information from different posts. In this case I'm fairly confident that my Giulia with 2/17 build date is very crash safe. That is based on what I read here plus my already having seen the Euro crash test.

Your statement that you wouldn't trust anything coming from someone affiliated with the company is to me unreasonably negative and I will ignore any of your comments in the future. I will continue to consider many or all of MacGeek's and Lowflyer's posts as accurate.
Oh this is going to be fun. First you dont have to trust me. You can trust the IIHS who clearly states that there were structural changes made. If you think those were made for the **** of it, or that the car would have scored "good" regardless and alfa did this just to protect its owners - you are an idiot.
Why is my location and specific model relevant here. I am dying to know.
Let me destroy your post point by point.
You accuse me of not owning a giulia you are correct, i dont own one, i lease it. Another foolish internet detective. Many other foolish internet detectives have accused me of not leasing this vehicle. They "proved" it based on my posts about issues i had. They posted detailed explanations as to why they knew I was lying. I challenged them to meet me and I would show them. They all cowered. Then after a while Alfaholico stepped up to the plate. We met, I showed him my car as well as the service records (note there have been TWO additional stints at the dealer since meeting with him and all issues are yet to be resolved, the last one 6 days long - TWO yes TWO replacement headlight assemblies arrived damaged, one cracked the other not working. What a joke - alfa "quality".) He started a thread confirming that I lease the car. Hopefully that will put an end to that accusation.
As far as macgeek, he posts information that is not publicly available...does your sister im Michigan do that? Logic fail.
I never said the car is unsafe, what I said was that in a small overlap test the car would fair significantly worse..how much worse, anyone's guess but we can logically assume that it would score acceptable vs good, or alfa would never spend the money to make design changes. As you can see here there is a significant difference between a good and acceptable rating. http://www.iihs.org/media/e98a5778-...rchive/small_overlap_rating_protocol_0812.pdf
So as long as you avoid small overlap accidents all is good :wink2:
I question why alfa kept the fact that pre-may vehicles are not as safe from the public...hmmmm...quite frankly its disgraceful, buyers should have been told they have the option of a safer vehicle.
I dont care if you think my statement is negative, it was meant as such. Only a fool would trust a corporate lackey vs the iihs...but whatever helps you sleep better at night...

·
Banned
264 Posts
And here is IIHS test on 17 giulia posted today.....it looks to me that IIHS test is designed for barrier to miss the frame structure and hit the wheel.....so which one performed marginally or much worse?
https://youtu.be/nQTGw3D9oPI
Exactly, it is this small overlap test that euro does not test for...it was only introduced in 2012 and is a common scenario....the pre-may giulias will fair significantly worse in this test. It is as if you know nothing about crash tests....start reading.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts