Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the Italian website config tool to build various models (Base, Super, Veloce & QV) to try to get an idea of the detailed differences and took screen grabs of different views along the way and then created animated gifs to present the comparison. Hope this is useful & interesting.

• FYI, the European Base & Super versions are the same as far as appearance, so gifs only show Super, Veloce & QV.
  • Based on the Alfa supplied images from the Napa press intro, the US base model appearance is equivalent to the Base/Super and the TI is equivalent to the Veloce.
  • I presume the US-only 350hp 4WD-only Veloce model will have same appearance as the TI/Veloce

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
27 Posts
Where did you hear about a 350-hp version for the US? So far I've only heard about the 505hp QV V6, and all the rest will be 280hp 4-cylinders.

I also read the US doesn't get a Veloce model, but a "Sport Package" that would add QV/Veloce appearance to the Base or TI.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone here had posted about the 350hp version from allpar forums. I can't find that link but here is the source post:
http://allpar.com/forums/threads/alfa-romeo-giulia-news-rumors.165773/#post-1084803257

Friend of mine passed on the NAFTA product grid, this is what is coming, the 350hp is NAFTA exclusive.

- 621.GR1.0 - 2.0 Turbo 4 280hp ATX RWD Base
- 621.PR1.0 - 2.0 Turbo 4 280hp ATX RWD TI
- 621.GA1.0 - 2.0 Turbo 4 280hp ATX AWD Base
- 621.PA1.0 - 2.0 Turbo 4 280hp ATX AWD TI
- 621.DA3.0 - 2.0 Turbo 4 350hp ATX AWD Veloce
- 621.QRU.0 - 2.9 Turbo V6 510hp MTX RWD Quadrifoglio
- 621.QRV.0 - 2.9 Turbo V6 510hp ATX RWD Quadrifoglio
Obviously the MTX QV option is out for now but that does show they intended to bring it to US at one point.

If you compare the Veloce model from Alfa Italian website and our TI model shown at Sonoma (last thumbnail in my first post), you can see that the US TI model appearance matches up with EU Veloce model.

I think both US base and TI models have Lusso and Sport pack options from what I recall from the reviews. Lusso gets you fancier leather and wood trim option.
Going by Italian website, the Sport pack on Veloce includes:
- Limited slip diff on RWD (Q2) models
- Active suspension
- Paddle shifters

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
27 Posts
Wow, thanks for the clarification.

I'm still bewildered about how they're going to eek out 350hp from a 2.0 4-cylinder. I was hoping it was going to be a detuned 2.9 V6.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing they want something to go up against the 340i and S4 so need more HP.
But, I think the V6 is likely a pricey engine so, regardless of tune, their cost would be fairly high and priced way above the competition.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The existence of the 350HP version is also acknowledged in the Top Gear review article:
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/alfa-romeo/20-tb-4dr-auto/first-drive

"...when the Veloce appears in the US, it will be powered by yet another version of the engine, a 345bhp, 48V unit with an electric turbocharger."

Electric turbo? Sure it has better efficiency and reduces lag, but in terms of reliability I really hope Alfa will pull this off. Seems a bit risky to me though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And this:
What’s the difference between the standard Giulia and the Ti?
The Ti model comes with a slightly higher level of spec as standard – it has a bigger infotainment screen and a few other things. But the main difference is the options you can spec if you go for the Ti. On that model only you can spec things like the active suspension package, bigger wheels, stickier tyres, better seats, etc. So that’s the one to opt for if you want to add more performance to your regular Giulia.

Are there different spec packages?
Yes, three. Sport is the base, Lusso has the most obviously luxury finishes and then there’s Performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts