Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:crying:Just joined this forum hoping to find other fellow members who have had their heart broken because the base Giulia is not available in manual transmission. I'm in Montreal, Canada but I understand its not available in the U.S either.:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The only thing I can say is that the powers that be think that they will sell the same number of cars regardless.

It is interesting to own the Quadrifoglio and even the owner's manual makes many references to the manual transmission.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
When Alfa announced the Quadrifoglio was not going to be offered with a manual a few months ago I was absolutely devastated. The news came on a Friday and I spent the weekend in a foul mood, screaming at anyone within earshot and throwing things, vowing to march into the dealer and cancel my order first thing Monday morning.

But then I realized the only thing this attitude was going to accomplish was to convince Alfa's management to completely turn their back on the traditional Alfa enthusiast. We have 5 other Alfas and they are all manuals except for the 4C. I hadn't even driven the Quadrifoglio yet and I was throwing a fit about the lack of a transmission choice, while Alfa was assuring everyone that ZF 8-speed was the better option.

I decided to give the car a chance anyway, and so far I'm really impressed. I will still take every opportunity to lobby Alfa to sell a real 3-pedal manual in the USA, because it would be great to have that option, but now that the car is here boycotting it because of the lack of a manual seems like "cutting off the nose to spite the face".

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I am just happy with this transmission it is no longer a hindrance to increase power significantly and still retain reliability.

The lack of a manual is disappointing but go and drive the car, the transmission for what it is is excellent.

There is something gratifying about rowing through the gears but the car will give your hands plenty to do especially in race mode and cooler temps.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome Luch :)

I'm a stick guy from way back when. Started shifting for my Dad when I was six or eight. All he had to do was push in the clutch and I knew if it need to be an up-shiftor a down-shift.

I can't stand slush-boxes that don't what gear they want to be in and then I got to wait for the torque converter to pump up before I can go. I mean, it was like five minutes ago that I nailed the gas.

I test drove the Giulia Ti with paddles, had it in Dynamic Manual mode. It's a nice ride. It really is. I put about ten miles on it in all driving conditions. My wife drove it too. Give it a try, you might like it.

I've got a stickshift (240z track car) as well as my 4C (daily driver) with dual clutch paddles. For my wife and I to share a ride, it has to be an auto. This is really a nice compramize. She has her auto and I have my manual valve body that works nice and solid. We now have a Ti on order with an LSD.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Though a radical opinion, be glad Alfa has a well sorted out Automatic instead of going with a DCT. Every DCT I've ever driven are great mostbof the time but have issues with partial throttle transitions.

A manual is lots of fun but just not as fast as a solid new age Auto or DCT. Sad, but true. Alfa probably made the right choice.

Reactions: Vailoce

·
Registered
692 Posts
A manual is lots of fun but just not as fast as a solid new age Auto or DCT. Sad, but true. Alfa probably made the right choice.
I vote for "more fun" over faster shifts. I took my old GTV6 out for a drive this past weekend and had a lot more fun than I do driving my BMW m235i that has fast shifts and twice the power. The old Alfa is just more engaging. Manual transmission is part of the reason, but not all.

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
576 Posts
I vote for "more fun" over faster shifts. I took my old GTV6 out for a drive this past weekend and had a lot more fun than I do driving my BMW m235i that has fast shifts and twice the power. The old Alfa is just more engaging. Manual transmission is part of the reason, but not all.
There is a lot to be said for driving enjoyment over raw speed. I think we all get caught up in buying the fastest but hardly ever can exploit that speed. It makes me think a Giulia Veloce could be the true sweet spot in the Giulia lineup if done properly.

Reactions: Verrilli

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
There is a lot to be said for driving enjoyment over raw speed. I think we all get caught up in buying the fastest but hardly ever can exploit that speed. It makes me think a Giulia Veloce could be the true sweet spot in the Giulia lineup if done properly.
You got that right!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Two reasons I didn't order a QV in order of importance... No AWD and no Manual.

P.S Don't bust my balls but the sunroof had something to do with it as well ;)

Reactions: Bruce Winter

·
Registered
576 Posts
Two reasons I didn't order a QV in order of importance... No AWD and no Manual.

P.S Don't bust my balls but the sunroof had something to do with it as well ;)
I can think of about 6-8 obvious things that would make the QV the perfect car. Pity that some of them weren't even offered as options. A sunroof adds serious weight, but when you can hear the engine roar around time, who cares about the slight weight penalty. BMW has the right idea by given the consumer the choice to go sunroof or no sunroof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was also bummed to hear about the lack of a manual. I first saw the car at the Detroit auto show 2 years ago and fell in love with it. I saw it again this year in Toronto and I think I'll have to get my hands on one when I'm done with my current car. Hopefully I can get over the transmission, I've been driving stick for ever and I don't want to miss it.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
100 millisecond shifts. ;)

Also a former "manual only" guy....

Think about F1. Where's their manual trans?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lack of manual tranmission

The Giulia without a manual transmission is not even an option for me. I was ready to buy it, until Alfa Romeo changed their minds. My next car will be the Audi A4 - unfortunately the S4 is no longer available with manual either.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
100 millisecond shifts. ;)

Also a former "manual only" guy....

Think about F1. Where's their manual trans?!
In my 1997 race car.....:grin2:

·
Banned
10 Posts
:crying:Just joined this forum hoping to find other fellow members who have had their heart broken because the base Giulia is not available in manual transmission. I'm in Montreal, Canada but I understand its not available in the U.S either.:frown2:
Great, welcome here.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts