Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is, the Giulia makes *other* people drive like they're freaks.

I'm sure you're familiar with the scenario: come up on some hot car while on the freeway, and they suddenly animate, speeding off and weaving through traffic at the earliest opportunity.

It's so predictable for every trip I make around here. BMWs and Corvettes every time, it seems, but really, it's not just the hot cars; everyone seems to get threatened and defensive when the Giulia pulls up.

I'm thinking of this right now because I just got off the highway having had this experience with a gorgeous Porsche 996 Turbo. Driven by a fairly older guy and tricked out with cool wheels and an aftermarket exhaust, once I came up on him, he felt the need to assert his dominance, to the extent he was passing on the right through merge lanes! He almost caught himself a boat during that particular stunt, as the car pulling the boat was dipping back into the right lane having executed a pass and not expecting the Porsche to come to wailing into the right lane from the further right merge lane which had just ended.

It was kind of crazy, and it made me think what is it about the Giulia which compels old dudes to drive crazy? Is it the visual aggressiveness of the Giulia? Is it an unknown marque being tested?

Yall've experienced this, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Absolutely. . .

I've had my car under two weeks and I don't even look around when I am the first car in line at a red light anymore. I don't mind the lookin', but way too many are way too serious and gripping their wheels like we're in the 4th stage elimination at a 1/4 mile meet.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
I saw this in my rearview mirror today.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I haven't noticed it too bad, but I don't drive on the interstates much. Just around town driving, where most of the limits are 35 mph. I did have one C63 challenge me at a red light (he lost), and a scion buzz me...just had to laugh at the scion.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got buzzed by a Ferrari 328 GTS at 85mph on a two-lane secondary road after he followed me for the overtake of another vehicle. As soon as I pulled back right, he came by me fast, winding it out, and f'in close! I gave chase to get on his tail quick, and we were moving nearly 2x the posted limited.

The Ferrari sounded good, but again I was like, sheesh, what possessed that old dude to drive like he was 25?!

I tailed him up onto the highway, and he pulled hard but lost his courage as we got into triple digits. I suppose he figured he was too old to spend the night in jail over that kind of thing!

For the record, I'm too old for that, too!

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
497 Posts
Maybe it's from seeing the Alfa, or maybe they just drive like maniacs all the time. I often see people in larger cities doing this, even if we're in my wife's SUV.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes I’ve noticed it. Where I I’m at. it’s mostly bmws, MB, and Audi’s that do it. Some Porsche and vets. When at a light I didn’t want to look out the window it’s like that’s the invite to do it. And for the record it seems to be as many older people as young. Nothing to prove I drive off normally and continue on my way.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Dork in some new golf wagon tonight on the way home from the movies- tailgating me, I slowed down, so he tried to pass- when he got next to me, breathed on the accelerator, left him like he was going backwards.

rjp

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nothing quite as dramatic, but yes usually on the highway people tend to speed up around me, even if I'm cruising around 60-65 mph. Admittedly, I'm usually passing everyone arund 70-75 mph so some drivers feel "threatened" and begin to speed up to try and stay with me or pass me. Strangely enough, it's usually trucks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Happens all the time! A tiny bit less now that the car has been out a little while, but especially when I first got the car last summer, people drive like complete idiots around me. From people cutting me off, teenagers flipping me off for no reason, middle age men trying to street race, guys vaping in their STIs and weaving around me on the freeway, it's just absolutely insane. Not to mention all the rubber neckers trying to catch an extra glimpse of the car haha. I've driven some cool cars before including a couple of huracans, and the Giulia definitely ranks towards the very top as far as the attention it garners. It can definitely be a pain, and sometimes feel boarderline dangerous thanks to idiot drivers out there, but deep down, we all love it haha!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll say this: The transmission and engine combo in the Giulia is certainly dialed in. Most tractable combo I've ever driven. The trans is always in the right gear. I love it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yesterday, on a Sunday in the Deep South, I had a ******* in a Ford 150 try to get me to race him down a city street.. I did not.. for my wife is one of the local Drs.. so everyone would make a stink about it.. lol . but he would NOT stop... Three redlights.. taunting me.. So I decided to drive into the local Krispy Cream ... he did not follow for there were 3 cop cars in the parking lot.. lol .
PS.. some times I do.. play and take them on.. but not in the city..where I live.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'll say this: The transmission and engine combo in the Giulia is certainly dialed in. Most tractable combo I've ever driven. The trans is always in the right gear. I love it.
Maybe it's the way I drive (very timid 90% of the time), but even in D mode, my car is very reluctant to downshift. I keep it strictly in manual mode for spirited driving for this reason.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Maybe it's the way I drive (very timid 90% of the time), but even in D mode, my car is very reluctant to downshift. I keep it strictly in manual mode for spirited driving for this reason.
Mine downshifts if I even think about it- seen it drop a few gears at a time... Then again, I'm pretty much a leadfoot who isn't afraid of triple digit speeds.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mine downshifts if I even think about it- seen it drop a few gears at a time... Then again, I'm pretty much a leadfoot who isn't afraid of triple digit speeds.
I'm not afraid of those speeds either :grin2: but i've never done that kind of driving in automatic mode. I've gotten my car all the way up to the 150mph limiter once, near the top of 7th :D

Giulia does indeed make me drive crazy!

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I see it here all the time in ATL. Subarus, Civics, Nissans, but mostly younger people. I try not to pay attention to it, as I am not going to give up my tires for that, but it is funny. I look at it as they do it because they feel endangered. Our cars don't have to prove anything :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know it sounds superficial, crowd-following and dumb, but the biggest complaint I had against my STI was the CROWD. I just, couldn't bring myself to be mistaken for a typical STI driver.

I stopped frequenting WRX STI pages when I saw brand new owners literally take sawzalls to brand new cars to mount cheap ebay side markers- and then screw it up, to boot, total dumb ass move. - I'm sorry, but the average Subie fan is a bonehead.

If you got a minute, go to this video, and pause it at the 11:50 mark. Check out what this moron did to the structure of this new STI. Fools are telling him the body kit looks great. This is the kind of crap I speak of.

Check out the cut line. Wow.

Otherwise, I like the STI, it's just too bad it's associated with people with sub-80 IQ's.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with ChiAlfaRabbi, they still want to race even if I just putter along.. lol

1 - 20 of 64 Posts