Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a lot of research and narrowed down my choice two cars: Giulia (really want a Ti Sport, or at least the sport package) and the Jaguar XE (35t). what can I say, I don't want to blend in with a 3-series or C-class...

The Jag comes with 5 year free maintenance and warranty

The Giulia comes with 4 year warranty but one oil change only

I like how both drive but the Giulia looks a lot better. I've been considering leasing or purchasing if I got a good deal but:

I looked at the service schedule and you need spark plugs every 30k miles (looks like $1500)

$250 oil changes every 10k

Change brake fluid every 2 years (not sure how much, few hundred?)

replace drive/accessory belt, every 36k miles or 4 years, this sounds like a huge $$ bill

replace air cleaner cartridge every 30k (is this a cabin air filter)?

I am not good at DIY, and all of these costs are making me hesitant. If both came with the same maintenance it would be the Giulia all the way. But it seems that over 4 years this might cost be an extra $5k. Combine this with uncertain value and reliability in the future I don't know what to do. Of course if I can get a good deal on a 2 year lease I wouldn't have to do any of this but I had also considered purchasing.

My heart says the Alfa but my head says the Jaguar...

·
Registered
402 Posts
go w/ the Jag.

1. Having routine warranty work done on the Alfa is a nightmare.

2. The maintenance costs are ridiculous on the Alfa.

3. I compared the 2 cars you did, wish I went with the XE.

4. If you decide to go w/ the Alfa, have the dealer throw-in included maintenance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lease it. I have a 3 yr lease with 10k/year and
1) the first 10k service is free (as in free, not pre-paid)
2) the second 10k service is the least of the three, basically an oil change (and anyone can change the oil)
3) I will turn the lease car in before the 30K servicing is needed.

When I was signing the lease I was offered the option of including the service costs in the lease price. This would have increased my payment by about $20/month. I declined that, but it may be an option for you. Make sure exactly what is covered is spelled out if you go that route.

I have to admit though - 5 years of free service is a big factor for any car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maintenance is never free, you just pay for it ahead of time...
Exactly. It’s just a convenience, and if you’d rather feel you’re getting something “free”, get the Jaguar. That being said, I turned in a lease Jag XF and purchased a Giulia. The XE is nowhere near the car the XF is, and the Giulia runs circles around both of them. I also currently own a BMW with included maintenance by the way.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Maintenance is never free, you just pay for it ahead of time...
true. But the Giulia is one of the few (perhaps only) car that needs a spark plug change at 30K. Plus, the price to lease the XE and the Giulia are about the same, so while the maintenance may be "built into" the XE price, the total cost of ownership is much lower.

·
Registered
189 Posts
30K service on a Ti is $1500 ?! really ? seems like spark plugs and cabin filter would not add more than $200-300 to regular 10K service.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I thought the 30K, $2000 service, was only on the QV because of the serpentine belt replacement. Not on the 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe that you can use a non-dealer mechanic for your service needs as long as you have the receipts and your warranty will still be in effect, at least here in the US. A good European car mechanic might be as capable (if not more so) as most of the FCA dealerships... and less expensive ?? Guess it depends on where you live, but I'd look into it as another option for your service needs. At least after the first "free" 10K service. Maybe a US forum member can comment on warranty coverage when using an independent service center ? There are still a lot of territories in the US where there are no Alfa dealers within a reasonable distance.

Reactions: Martyn and 19737

·
Registered
82 Posts
$1500 for a 30k spark plug service??? That same service on the 2013 BMW M5 I traded in for my Ti Sport was $650. I’m really hoping a non QV with 4 less cylinders than my M5 doesn’t cost more than the same service on a $100k+ BMW. I did check my manual and it does call for plugs at 30k miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe that you can use a non-dealer mechanic for your service needs as long as you have the receipts and your warranty will still be in effect, at least here in the US. A good European car mechanic might be as capable (if not more so) as most of the FCA dealerships... and less expensive ?? Guess it depends on where you live, but I'd look into it as another option for your service needs. At least after the first "free" 10K service. Maybe a US forum member can comment on warranty coverage when using an independent service center ? There are still a lot of territories in the US where there are no Alfa dealers within a reasonable distance.
This is true - using third-party mechanics, or even doing the work yourself if so inclined, does not void warranties. This is well-established law in the US. Just save your receipts in case you ever have to prove the work was done.

Even not doing some warranty work does not void the warranty entirely. For example if you don't flush the brake lines at 30k, the only part of the warranty that might be voided would be problems caused by faulty brake fluid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think theres a good mechanic near me that specializes in Alfas so this could be an option. I just dont want to void any warranty lol

I'm not sure exactly how much the dealer charges but from my research I saw 1200-1500 for the spark plugs

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have a feeling that spatk plug guidance will change before cars start hitting 30k miles.....I have no idea what would be the reason to change spark plugs at 30k when most modern plugs last 80k plus....it just sounds like somebody was overly cautious when writting a service manual....beside that, how hard can it be (channeling Clarkson) to change plugs on a 4 cyl? Are they in a particularly hard to reach place on this engine? (Have not checked it in the engine bay)....same with belt, seems very short lifespan predicted by Alfa....

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
similar question

Even not doing some warranty work does not void the warranty entirely. For example if you don't flush the brake lines at 30k, the only part of the warranty that might be voided would be problems caused by faulty brake fluid.
I have a similar question. Since I am on a 36 month/36k mile lease, if I do not spend $1,500 (that price seems wrong to me) to replace spark plugs 5 or 6 months before I return the car, does anyone know if will I get charged for failing to do that service when my lease ends?
I've leased many cars over the years and never once had to replace spark plugs or incurred maintenance costs even remotely close to this. It's been routine fluid replacements only.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think theres a good mechanic near me that specializes in Alfas so this could be an option. I just dont want to void any warranty lol

I'm not sure exactly how much the dealer charges but from my research I saw 1200-1500 for the spark plugs
Lawdy, that's $300 per spark plug! I may be getting into the Alfa Romeo spark plug changing business! :smile2:

Are you sure the $1,200 - $1,500 wasn't for the entire 30K servicing? T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶g̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶f̶l̶u̶i̶d̶ ̶f̶l̶u̶s̶h̶ ̶(̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶3̶0̶k̶)̶.̶

(edit: I was wrong, brake fluid flush is not in the 30k servicing, but every two years according to the manual)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Alfa told me it was every 3/4 years for Brake Fluid. Depends if you're tracking too in which case that's every season at least

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a similar question. Since I am on a 36 month/36k mile lease, if I do not spend $1,500 (that price seems wrong to me) to replace spark plugs 5 or 6 months before I return the car, does anyone know if will I get charged for failing to do that service when my lease ends?
I've leased many cars over the years and never once had to replace spark plugs or incurred maintenance costs even remotely close to this. It's been routine fluid replacements only.
That's an excellent question. I do not know how the actual value is determined at the end of a lease. I think anything beyond normal wear and tear is deducted, but would that include a missed servicing? I don't know.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Alfa told me it was every 3/4 years for Brake Fluid. Depends if you're tracking too in which case that's every season at least
I just checked my manual and it says the brake fluid "must" be replaced every two years, regardless of mileage. So you are right - it is time-related and not mileage-related. It's just my opinion, but every two years seems excessively conservative for a non-tracked car.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
does to me a bit but I would say who's driving like an old granny in these cars?.. and if they are.. WHY? :D

1 - 20 of 151 Posts