Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just bought my Giulia last Monday from the dealer to my garage and that was it, until yesterday. Drove my car to work being a Friday and interestingly enough it was an adventure. 5 BMW's, 1 Audi and 2 Honda's made my drive fun. Seems like BMW and Audi owners are very testy they all just want to get it on. Surprisingly enough the 2 Honda's just gave me a thumbs up and went about their business. From a 320, 335 (2), M3 and even an X2 and an Audi S4 all wanted a piece of the Giulia. :smile2: I find it funny that they get all worked up over a car and the way they were looking at it I felt like a hot chick being checked out. :grin2: I didn't race with any of them since I only have 75 miles on the dial I give it a little go here and there but nothing major. The S4 looked really nervous it was funny to watch. Anyway, I thought I'd share my little story it's been a while since I had a toy to play with.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I was coming home from the store and a RS4 was speeding up to plant in front of me with some juice. I calmly arrived at the stop light at the same time. I turned my dial a couple notches and gave it some juice. The Audi poor thing couldn’t beat me to 50 mph. Dusted. I did feel bad since it was rather silly on their part since I have a lucky charm on the side of my car because I am Irish and all :eek:). Typically I let them go by and sometimes I will engage in the conversation to be a good ambassador to the brand. My favorite was when a nice guy on a Harley got off his bike and came over and said. I am so glad to see Alfa come back to the US. Beautiful car! Thank you sir! I have a lot of friends with all the brands and they all love the car. I am sorry I can’t say I love their cars but they all have good cars. I will say I really do like the Audi RS7 that is one class act with the power to back her up.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Sometimes it is just too hard to resist.

I do not let chargers or mustangs goat me. They are DPS officers in unmarked muscle cars.:smile2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not let chargers or mustangs goat me. They are DPS officers in unmarked muscle cars.:smile2:
Was it spiderman or braveheart who said great power comes with great responsibilties.. lol!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
I live within earshot of Woodward Avenue and see/hear racing all the time. Tonight I was in one of the turnarounds when a Corvette vs. Mercedes SL flashed past. Fun to watch. I think I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
691 Posts
As for street racing, I tend to avoid it. Just not worth the consequences. I've driven fast cars as my daily for the past 10 years, and it's enough to know that I could beat most that goad me. Every once in awhile, I'll blast it from a stoplight, but only up to the speed limit, and never roasting the tires or fish tailing the rear. About the only thing that's challenged the Alfa was a poor Scion. They are flashy, but they're almost a 6 second 0-60 car. Pitiful.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
399 Posts
My guess is so much has been said about this car that we are being treated like the top gun and everyone is trying to knock us of the spot. You have to exercise a lot of restraint to own this car, well and keep your license.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My guess is so much has been said about this car that we are being treated like the top gun and everyone is trying to knock us of the spot. You have to exercise a lot of restraint to own this car, well and keep your license.
I like the sound of that the sound track of topgun just started playing in my head. :grin2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for street racing, I tend to avoid it. Just not worth the consequences. I've driven fast cars as my daily for the past 10 years, and it's enough to know that I could beat most that goad me. Every once in awhile, I'll blast it from a stoplight, but only up to the speed limit, and never roasting the tires or fish tailing the rear. About the only thing that's challenged the Alfa was a poor Scion. They are flashy, but they're almost a 6 second 0-60 car. Pitiful.
Never liked street racing always been a weekend track racer. Which reminds me I better browse track dates with Speed Venture. Maybe they will have one at Laguna Seca soon. Dust off my helmet and driving shoes....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Oh absolutely. It is straight out of the light until I hit the speed and dial it in and let the other idiot keep going. And Only when there is no one within seconds ahead of me. Our normal speeds are 45 on the surface streets and they are 3 lanes on both sides ..... they give you enough rope to let you hang yourself. Nah. I pay my taxes I don’t need to feed them more money.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Some people pulled up next to me always tend to gas it harder off the start. I guess when you're driving Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" people want to test you. Strangely enough, no one in a BMW, Audi or Mercedes has taunted me. Usually it's Honda/Acura drivers or even people driving econo-boxes.

Best ever story thus far is a beautiful black Maserati Ghibli winding up next to me, proceeding to bob and weave through traffic goading me to follow. And in the driver's seat was quite an attractive woman. I dutifully obliged and after about two miles we had a little jaunt off the line at an intersection. The engine notes from that Ghibli were sexy (as was the driver). The Ghibli initially beat me off the line but after about three seconds I caught up and pulled ahead. She then turned and smiled at me as I merged onto the freeway and she went elsewhere (was meeting friends out). Following her as we were both flying through traffic was quite sexy, given that we were driving two beautiful Italian machines. Crazy thing is she must live near me because I saw her in the Maserati last week briefly in my neck of the woods. I'd love to run into her again on the road.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Best ever story thus far is a beautiful black Maserati Ghibli winding up next to me, proceeding to bob and weave through traffic goading me to follow. And in the driver's seat was quite an attractive woman. I dutifully obliged and after about two miles we had a little jaunt off the line at an intersection. The engine notes from that Ghibli were sexy (as was the driver). The Ghibli initially beat me off the line but after about three seconds I caught up and pulled ahead. She then turned and smiled at me as I merged onto the freeway and she went elsewhere (was meeting friends out). Following her as we were both flying through traffic was quite sexy, given that we were driving two beautiful Italian machines. Crazy thing is she must live near me because I saw her in the Maserati last week briefly in my neck of the woods. I'd love to run into her again on the road.
Sounds like a story that deserves multiple chapters. I'll keep my eye out for QVs and Ghiblis when I visit.

When I worked in the City of Rochester I enjoyed taking the South Avenue ramp onto eastbound I-490, first in my 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass and later in my 1981 Mazda GLC Sport. Taking it in my Giulia at a higher speed without even trying reminded me how capable a car it is (something I'm reminded of almost every time I get behind the wheel).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Some people pulled up next to me always tend to gas it harder off the start. I guess when you're driving Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" people want to test you. Strangely enough, no one in a BMW, Audi or Mercedes has taunted me. Usually it's Honda/Acura drivers or even people driving econo-boxes.

Ooh ooh... sounds like a great Alfa commercial.

Believe it or not, the only people I have any challenge from are the pickup truck drivers in their expensive cranked up trucks. Although mine isn't a QV, I do have the Eurocompulsion V2 intake and tune, which puts it about halfway between a stock Ti and a QV. The pickup truck drivers here tend to be aggressive and think they own the road. They like to pull the stunt where they come from behind, accelerate around you then cut in front; sometimes very close, to let you know what they think of your fancy new Italian car. I just put it in D mode, and go right back around them. Sometimes they try and accelerate to try and stop me, but none of their loud trucks even come close to matching the acceleration of my car. They sure hate it when you do that though... twice I've had them giving me the finger and yelling at me as though I'm the jerk.

My Camaro is a different story. I set it up for track (road course); it looks like it and sounds like it. Cam, long-tube headers and high flow exhaust. At idle you can hear the cam lope. I've never had anyone challenge me here; not even the pickup trucks. I think it may be a 'foreigner' thing with the Alfa.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sounds like a story that deserves multiple chapters. I'll keep my eye out for QVs and Ghiblis when I visit.

When I worked in the City of Rochester I enjoyed taking the South Avenue ramp onto eastbound I-490, first in my 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass and later in my 1981 Mazda GLC Sport. Taking it in my Giulia at a higher speed without even trying reminded me how capable a car it is (something I'm reminded of almost every time I get behind the wheel).

Trust me I'd love a Chapter 2. **** even a 10.

There aren't that many good driving roads here in Monroe County. East of Penfield (where I live currently) there are some fun country roads. Maybe my favorite stretch of road has to be Bay Rd. in Webster that runs along Lake Ontario. Some awesome elevation changes and chicanes.

Let me know when you come visit.

Ooh ooh... sounds like a great Alfa commercial.

Believe it or not, the only people I have any challenge from are the pickup truck drivers in their expensive cranked up trucks. Although mine isn't a QV, I do have the Eurocompulsion V2 intake and tune, which puts it about halfway between a stock Ti and a QV. The pickup truck drivers here tend to be aggressive and think they own the road. They like to pull the stunt where they come from behind, accelerate around you then cut in front; sometimes very close, to let you know what they think of your fancy new Italian car. I just put it in D mode, and go right back around them. Sometimes they try and accelerate to try and stop me, but none of their loud trucks even come close to matching the acceleration of my car. They sure hate it when you do that though... twice I've had them giving me the finger and yelling at me as though I'm the jerk.

More like a movie that I'd love to finish the script to, lol.

I think I've also had pick-up trucks gas it around me for whatever reason. I've hardly ever engaged anyone except said lady in the Maserati, but that was more like we were dancing through traffic and felt exhilarating. I've always found moving through traffic more fun in general than jaunts off the line.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
There aren't that many good driving roads here in Monroe County. East of Penfield (where I live currently) there are some fun country roads. Maybe my favorite stretch of road has to be Bay Rd. in Webster that runs along Lake Ontario. Some awesome elevation changes and chicanes.
Small world. I have a good friend from high school whose family lives off Penfield road east of Salt/Carter Roads and have traversed 441 many times. Penfield Road was once fun. The curves between Watson Road and Harris Road are too congested now to carry any significant speed (I remember how my first Taurus SHO compressing the distance between them) and the rolling hills risky because of limited sight lines. Have you ever driven down Rich's Dugway (near Ellison Park)? Nimbleness rewarded. I used to enjoy the "banked curve" on Clover Street near the Harley School. Not quite NASCAR, eh? Lots of memories. I may be there sometime this month.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts