Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Magneti Marelli developed the infotainment system and a lot of the electronics - http://www.magnetimarelli.com/press...agneti-marelli-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio

TomTom is the Nav/map provider for Giulia - found this on their website - http://automotive.tomtom.com/en/success-stories/fiat/connect-3d-nav

Also, I just ran across the CNET review here: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia/preview/
Not a lot of new information but they did say that a SW update will be coming that adds Android Auto and Apple CarPlay screen mirroring, which is really nice to hear.

·
Registered
193 Posts
CarPlay is an absolute must.

Really there are only two things missing for me: (1) a detuned version of the 2.9 that would slot just above the NA 2.0T and (2) heads-up-display (HUD). I'm surprised that a new model would not have this feature since just about everyone is bring them to market.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
27 Posts
CarPlay is an absolute must.

Really there are only two things missing for me: (1) a detuned version of the 2.9 that would slot just above the NA 2.0T and (2) heads-up-display (HUD). I'm surprised that a new model would not have this feature since just about everyone is bring them to market.
Yessss; I was thinking that. I still want the sounds and the smoothness of a V6 but I sure as **** don't need 505hp and I want AWD, which I don't think is offered in the QV. Maybe I'll change my tune with a test drive of the 4-banger though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yessss; I was thinking that. I still want the sounds and the smoothness of a V6 but I sure as **** don't need 505hp and I want AWD, which I don't think is offered in the QV. Maybe I'll change my tune with a test drive of the 4-banger though.
The next gen charger is supposed to be built on the giorgio platform and have a bi-turbo four and bi-turbo six engine options. I wouldn't expect them to use the QV motor in the charger so perhaps something inbetween is in the works? I'm stretching a bit on this, but who knows.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The TomTom link above states Traffic is included. Does anyone know the source? I don't see it listed in the online manual. I am asking specifically about the US market.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The TomTom link above states Traffic is included. Does anyone know the source? I don't see it listed in the online manual. I am asking specifically about the US market.
I believe it is. Not sure if the traffic portion is permanent or a trial period similar to sirius. Emailing my AR Trainer likely won't have an answer till tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Please include the boost gauge with the infotainment update. Thank you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found this link as well on the TomTom Nav in Giulia: https://www.tomtom.com/en_lt/in-dash-navigation/connect_3d_nav/
As I suspected it uses TomTom's standard TMC traffic channel (click "Show All Options") their standalone GPS systems use.
TMC - Traffic Message Channel - carried on RDS data channel for FM stations.
I don't have any experience with this, seems like it reports events and expected backups vs. being true real-time system like Google, which monitors actual traffic speeds reported by users data.

BTW, It's 1280x480, 8.8in display, which was the same size & resolution in the BMW 3-series up through MY16.
IIRC, as of MY17, resolution on 3-series increased to 1440x540 with iDrive 5 system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Found this link as well on the TomTom Nav in Giulia: https://www.tomtom.com/en_lt/in-dash-navigation/connect_3d_nav/
As I suspected it uses TomTom's standard TMC traffic channel (click "Show All Options") their standalone GPS systems use.
TMC - Traffic Message Channel - carried on RDS data channel for FM stations.
I don't have any experience with this, seems like it reports events and expected backups vs. being true real-time system like Google, which monitors actual traffic speeds reported by users data.

BTW, It's 1280x480, 8.8in display, which was the same size & resolution in the BMW 3-series up through MY16.
IIRC, as of MY17, resolution on 3-series increased to 1440x540 with iDrive 5 system.
@pcbrew Thank you for the link. So that seems quite limited vs. something like Waze, but likely better than SiriusXM. Sure hope CarPlay is forthcoming to provide dynamic traffic details.

BTW-The three pictures on that link (the dashboard pics at the top) show significantly more detailed maps than any others I've seen. Wondering if options are off on other pics (or even the user videos from AR), or they are just simulating Nav on that link from another of their products?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I was wondering if the people who purchased this car are happy with the infotainment screen? From what I have observed it appears to lack clarity and brightness. Also, the frameless presentation is somewhat disconcerting because you're not sure where exactly to look, and the dead space around the screen will never be used for anything at all. Also, I have read that the display suffers from glare on bright days.

·
Registered
418 Posts
@pcbrew Thank you for the link. So that seems quite limited vs. something like Waze, but likely better than SiriusXM. Sure hope CarPlay is forthcoming to provide dynamic traffic details.

BTW-The three pictures on that link (the dashboard pics at the top) show significantly more detailed maps than any others I've seen. Wondering if options are off on other pics (or even the user videos from AR), or they are just simulating Nav on that link from another of their products?
The traffic is a 1 year period. My trainer wasn't sure that info is from a fellow trainer, who hopefully wasn't thinking that I was referring to the 1 year sirius traffic trial. We will see... I'll check on the info provided today, both the Ti's I have in stock are Nav equipped. Waiting for word back on Carplay, I'm quite sure it'll be a software update, but I don't remember the source of that information so I will confirm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I posted this on other forums..
Anyone know how to turn AUDIO/Sound on blind spot monitoring in the TI???
As of now, it alerts me with the light flashing on the side view mirrors, but NO AUDIBLE BEEP is heart like in my mazda 6 i had.

Thanks
Toto

·
Registered
418 Posts

@pcbrew you ought to come by the store this week I have a Ti w/ lusso pkg and Ti w/ 19in sport. A QV we bought from a dealer up north will be in Monday as well. I'd also like to hear your opinions on the car as I primarily focus on how it feels at limit around a corner and you notice details I'd never think of.

-waiting on word back from magneti Marelli on CarPlay. Should know tomorrow

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was wondering if the people who purchased this car are happy with the infotainment screen? From what I have observed it appears to lack clarity and brightness. Also, the frameless presentation is somewhat disconcerting because you're not sure where exactly to look, and the dead space around the screen will never be used for anything at all. Also, I have read that the display suffers from glare on bright days.
Hard to say. The screen is driver focused with a tilt so photos from the middle of the car will seem dull. Glare a bit maybe but once you have radio presets with steering wheel controls, voice prompts for calls, and nav turns display in center cluster so the question becomes how often will you be sitting stationary with a glare preventing you from seeing some portion of the screen. The dead space in any other car is surrounded by plastic or wood or shiny materials which also serve no functional purpose, the hidden design is a style choice and looks substantially better than the glued on iPad approach (my opinion on how it looks.) Not sure if you've driven one or if the observations are strictly from online research, if online only I'd definitely recommend checking one out in person.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@pcbrew you ought to come by the store this week I have a Ti w/ lusso pkg and Ti w/ 19in sport. A QV we bought from a dealer up north will be in Monday as well. I'd also like to hear your opinions on the car as I primarily focus on how it feels at limit around a corner and you notice details I'd never think of.
I just saw in your posts from yesterday you finally got some in and seriously thought about playing hookey this afternoon. However I was still too backed up from recent 2 week business trip to Europe. But, I may take off early tomorrow and come up to see the Ti.

BTW they were running a Giulia ad on the monitors in the Munich airport last weekend. I recorded on my phone and will try to get it cropped and on YouTube to share this weekend.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just saw in your posts from yesterday you finally got some in and seriously thought about playing hookey this afternoon. However I was still too backed up from recent 2 week business trip to Europe. But, I may take off early tomorrow and come up to see the Ti.

BTW they were running a Giulia ad on the monitors in the Munich airport last weekend. I recorded on my phone and will try to get it cropped and on YouTube to share this weekend.
I can't imagine two weeks, it took me at least a week to catch up after being in Nola for Giulia training for 4 days. Sounds good, I can also bring one out your way near lunch or something just shoot me an email or text and we'll coordinate. Look forward to seeing the ad! My mom text me that she saw two ads during a show she watched tonight.

Attached a pic of my Alfa front line ??

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hard to say. The screen is driver focused with a tilt so photos from the middle of the car will seem dull. Glare a bit maybe but once you have radio presets with steering wheel controls, voice prompts for calls, and nav turns display in center cluster so the question becomes how often will you be sitting stationary with a glare preventing you from seeing some portion of the screen. The dead space in any other car is surrounded by plastic or wood or shiny materials which also serve no functional purpose, the hidden design is a style choice and looks substantially better than the glued on iPad approach (my opinion on how it looks.) Not sure if you've driven one or if the observations are strictly from online research, if online only I'd definitely recommend checking one out in person.
It had not occurred to me that the angle of the screen could affect online photos. I test drove a base model that only had the base infotainment screen, but I have also played with the upgraded display in a QV on the showroom floor. I'm going to go back to the dealer this weekend to spend more time with the infotainment system to see if it will work for me. I have never owned a car that did not have several hard buttons for the sound system, and on the Giulia this can only be done via the screen.

There is one other irritation that I have with the infotainment system that I forgot to mention in my earlier post. The screen does not respond to touch, and it can only be manipulated by using the control knob on the center console. I have test driven the Maserati Ghibli, which has a really excellent infotainment system. I think that car is gorgeous, but it has fallen off of my list because it is a bigger car than I want (more than 6 inches wider than my current car).

I looked at the infotainment screens in the MB C63 and the BMW M4, and they also have long rectangular screens instead of the more common "squarish" screen. I think they used that size screen to improve forward vision in the car.

Most of the criticisms that I commented on came from my own observation and from similar comments that I had read in various reviews. However, my concern about the frameless presentation is my own concern that I have not read anywhere else.

If I buy a Giulia it will definitely be the QV model. The dealer will not let me test drive the QV that they have on the showroom floor because they are saving it for someone who is willing to pay $10k over sticker. It isn't the color that I want anyway, so I have not pressed for a test drive. They say that the test drive can only take place after financing is finalized, but in my case I would be paying cash so I'm not really sure how that would work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It had not occurred to me that the angle of the screen could affect online photos. I test drove a base model that only had the base infotainment screen, but I have also played with the upgraded display in a QV on the showroom floor. I'm going to go back to the dealer this weekend to spend more time with the infotainment system to see if it will work for me. I have never owned a car that did not have several hard buttons for the sound system, and on the Giulia this can only be done via the screen.

There is one other irritation that I have with the infotainment system that I forgot to mention in my earlier post. The screen does not respond to touch, and it can only be manipulated by using the control knob on the center console. I have test driven the Maserati Ghibli, which has a really excellent infotainment system. I think that car is gorgeous, but it has fallen off of my list because it is a bigger car than I want (more than 6 inches wider than my current car).

I looked at the infotainment screens in the MB C63 and the BMW M4, and they also have long rectangular screens instead of the more common "squarish" screen. I think they used that size screen to improve forward vision in the car.

Most of the criticisms that I commented on came from my own observation and from similar comments that I had read in various reviews. However, my concern about the frameless presentation is my own concern that I have not read anywhere else.

If I buy a Giulia it will definitely be the QV model. The dealer will not let me test drive the QV that they have on the showroom floor because they are saving it for someone who is willing to pay $10k over sticker. It isn't the color that I want anyway, so I have not pressed for a test drive. They say that the test drive can only take place after financing is finalized, but in my case I would be paying cash so I'm not really sure how that would work.
There is definitely a learning/adjustment curve when you are used to hard buttons but the dial becomes intuitive. Similar to the jump from a flip phone to a smartphone, odd at first, but after the adjustment period it's considerably better. Im not sure where you are located in the states but our second QV is slated to arrive Monday and will be available to test drive. Our store will not be participating in the over sticker fiasco.

-BMW and Giulia infotainments are both magneti Marelli sourced, Ghibli is either that or uconnect(uconnect supplies for Chrysler jeep Dodge Ram and fiat, prefer it to magnetis system insanely user friendly). Not sure about Mercedes

1 - 20 of 26 Posts