Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Giulia can be ordered with standard (Halogen?) headlights or bi-xenon headlights (Euro-speak for HID headlights). I know that HIDs are much brighter than halogens, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they light the way better. IIHS recently started rating headlights, but they have not tested any Alfa Romeo vehicles. Most of the top rated headlights are LED based, although a few vehicles with HID lights got top ratings. Many of the HID lights got downgraded for blinding oncoming traffic. IIHS does not look at the whole pattern so that it is still possible that a good rating from them is not a very good headlight. See below.

Anyway: Those of you who have had a chance to drive your Giulia on dark roads, what do you think of the headlights and what kind do you have? Is there any particular reason to not get the bi-xenon option on Giulia other than the price?

Good headlights have a "top cutoff" in the pattern so that very little light is sent above horizontal. This is very important when driving while snow is falling or when it is foggy. IIHS's new headlight performance test does not check this.

Good headlights send a non-trivial amount of light to the sides of the road, particularly in the distance. This is necessary to see road-side hazards that can suddenly move onto the road like pedestrians and animals. It also is necessary to illuminate the path when navigating a turn. A lot of after market headlight manufacturers are keen to make the beam narrow so that the spot looks brighter, giving a false sense that the headlights are good.

Good headlights DO NOT create a bright spot directly in front of the vehicle. Such a bright spot gives a false impression that the headlights are bright, but actually creates glare that blinds the driver from being able to see what is in the distance. IIHS's new headlight performance test does not check this. I see a lot of vehicles on the road with this problem.

With really good headlights the left and right lamps independently light up the whole target area. This is more important for the driver's side lamp than the passenger side lamp. This is important when taking small radius turns with an obstruction on the inside of the turn in order to have the best possible illumination of the inside part of the turn. It also helps make the car drivable if one headlight is not functioning.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Giulia's headlight assembly is sourced from Magneti Marelli (also supplies BMW, Audi, Porsche to name a few), so in terms of quality it's definitely up there with the competition. My Ti came standard with the HID lamps (I don't think any of the US Giulia's has the halogen lamps), admittedly I haven't done a lot of night driving, but I felt the headlight performance very adequate. Then again this is purely subjective, let's just wait for the verdict from IIHS.

BTW, I took a closeup shot at the headlight the other day. Performance aside, it really is an interesting design:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cpt/33691367186/in/album-72157678612686204/
Notice that the 2 "squares" to the right of the fish eye are actually LED modules for side illumination.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Giulia's headlight assembly is sourced from Magneti Marelli (also supplies BMW, Audi, Porsche to name a few), so in terms of quality it's definitely up there with the competition. My Ti came standard with the HID lamps (I don't think any of the US Giulia's has the halogen lamps), admittedly I haven't done a lot of night driving, but I felt the headlight performance very adequate. Then again this is purely subjective, let's just wait for the verdict from IIHS.

BTW, I took a closeup shot at the headlight the other day. Performance aside, it really is an interesting design:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cpt/33691367186/in/album-72157678612686204/
Notice that the 2 "squares" to the right of the fish eye are actually LED modules for side illumination.
Thanks. I'm not holding my breath for an IIHS rating of any Alfa Romeo. They still have not tested a 4C and it has been available for a while. NHTSA hasn't posted anything for Alfa Romeo either.

The Alfa Romeo USA configurator lists "High Performance Bi-Xenon Headlamps" as a $700 option on the Ti and not available on the base model.
https://www.alfaromeousa.com/hostc/...o?sessionKey=2017-05-26 07:00:11.879#/options
https://www.alfaromeousa.com/hostc/...o?sessionKey=2017-05-26 07:00:11.879#/options
Maybe the choice is between regular performance bi-xenon and high performance bi-xenon (25W versus 35W)? I don't see any explanation on the site.

IIHS gave the BMW LED headlights with adaptive beams an "acceptable" rating, rather than the top "good" rating that many of the Japanese LED headlights (generally not adaptive) got. Giulia is not available with LED headlights or adaptive beams at this time.

In particular, the BMW low beams were too low.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/bmw/3-series-4-door-sedan/2017

VW got a poor:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volkswagen/gti-4-door-hatchback/2017
Fiat 500 also:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/fiat/500x-4-door-suv/2017

Subaru's all new Impreza got a good:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/subaru/impreza-4-door-sedan/2017

My wife's Subaru Crosstrek has the best headlights that I have used, but it got a poor (?!) (disclaimer: IIHS tested a 2015 and my wife has a 2013). As a result, I'm not sure how much I trust the IIHS headlight rating system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In Sweden we have 3 options for the Giulia.

Standard: Halogen lamps with foglights.
Option: 25W BiXenon - no separate foglights.
Option: 35W BiXenon (AFS) and no separate fogligths. (Included in the "Sport Package AFS"

I´ve ordered the 35W option, and will be interesting to see how they perform.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Giulia can be ordered with standard (Halogen?) headlights or bi-xenon headlights (Euro-speak for HID headlights). I know that HIDs are much brighter than halogens, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they light the way better. IIHS recently started rating headlights, but they have not tested any Alfa Romeo vehicles. Most of the top rated headlights are LED based, although a few vehicles with HID lights got top ratings. Many of the HID lights got downgraded for blinding oncoming traffic. IIHS does not look at the whole pattern so that it is still possible that a good rating from them is not a very good headlight. See below.

Anyway: Those of you who have had a chance to drive your Giulia on dark roads, what do you think of the headlights and what kind do you have? Is there any particular reason to not get the bi-xenon option on Giulia other than the price?

Good headlights have a "top cutoff" in the pattern so that very little light is sent above horizontal. This is very important when driving while snow is falling or when it is foggy. IIHS's new headlight performance test does not check this.

Good headlights send a non-trivial amount of light to the sides of the road, particularly in the distance. This is necessary to see road-side hazards that can suddenly move onto the road like pedestrians and animals. It also is necessary to illuminate the path when navigating a turn. A lot of after market headlight manufacturers are keen to make the beam narrow so that the spot looks brighter, giving a false sense that the headlights are good.

Good headlights DO NOT create a bright spot directly in front of the vehicle. Such a bright spot gives a false impression that the headlights are bright, but actually creates glare that blinds the driver from being able to see what is in the distance. IIHS's new headlight performance test does not check this. I see a lot of vehicles on the road with this problem.

With really good headlights the left and right lamps independently light up the whole target area. This is more important for the driver's side lamp than the passenger side lamp. This is important when taking small radius turns with an obstruction on the inside of the turn in order to have the best possible illumination of the inside part of the turn. It also helps make the car drivable if one headlight is not functioning.
where are you located? in us market i dont think you can even choose halogen headlight and HID is far batter anyway.
romer says AR is going to introduce LED headlight later this year

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
US models all have HID....so called high performance is 35W and they are self leveling with washers, that seems to be requirement that comes from EU and is just transplanted to US. I used to have directional and selfleveling HIds on Audi and they turn into corner, until you are used to it they can almost make you dizzy somewhere on dark twisty forest road lol.

All together 25W seem very adequate....I also prefer HID to LED, most LED look very cool and all but they produce too blue hue light and in general weird pattern with too sharp borders. Someday we will all have laser lights if they ever get through antiquated US approval process (BMw and Audi have that technology ready to deploy for years now).

And the cornering LEDs come surprisingly handy, quite strong and good side illumination area

·
Registered
242 Posts
As I understand,
- On the standard 25w xenon, you only get low speed cornering illumination from the LEDs
- Only the 35w xenons swivel with steering for illumination of curves at higher speeds
- To get automatic-high beam, you have to get the Driver Assist Dynamic package

All US Base & Ti models have 25w Xenon as standard, no halogen option.

Elsewhere in the world, halogens are standard (with foglights - may be optional).
The reason for the two xenon options is that EU requires headlight washers for hi-power xenons.
They don't need that with the 25w xenons, so they're a lot cheaper to fit.

LED headlights were mentioned to be on the roadmap, but based on what has been reported on the forum, they are not with the initial 2018 MY updates. May be delayed availability or pushed to MY19.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My headlights are great!

Standard Q configuration Bi-Xenon with bending light technology...
Thanks. Hopefully you mean adaptive headlight technology, since I really would not want a neutron star following me around.:surprise:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks. Hopefully you mean adaptive headlight technology, since I really would not want a neutron star following me around.:surprise:
I got the verbiage straight from Alfa. Like I said, great lights!

Page 36 out of the online owners manual- "Static Bending Light Function (SBL)"

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,092 Posts
As I understand,
- On the standard 25w xenon, you only get low speed cornering illumination from the LEDs
- Only the 35w xenons swivel with steering for illumination of curves at higher speeds
- To get automatic-high beam, you have to get the Driver Assist Dynamic package

All US Base & Ti models have 25w Xenon as standard, no halogen option.
The low-speed cornering lights remind my of my father's old Buicks. I find them handy.

I would've liked the 35-Watt adaptive xenon lamps. I have had adaptive lamps on a couple of cars and appreciated their targeted illumination.

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the verbiage straight from Alfa. Like I said, great lights!

Page 36 out of the online owners manual- "Static Bending Light Function (SBL)"
I had a feeling that might be the explanation; a little creative translation. Technically light bends at the surfaces of a lens.

Anyway, can you qualify "great" particularly in the context of the criteria that I gave at the start of this thread? I see cars on US-395 with extremely bright lights all the time, but they send lot of light upwards, illuminating most of the height of the 500 foot high cliff face next to my house. If you have such lights and snow is falling all you will see is the reflection of the light on the snowflakes that are slightly in front of your headlights.

Can the lights illuminate the sight line when the car is following the inside line of a sharp curve with an obstruction (e.g. cliff) on the inside of the turn? Most cars do this poorly as the passenger side headlight beam will be blocked by the obstruction and the driver side headlight beam isn't wide enough to put light on the far side of a turn that angles away from the light. Perhaps the adaptive headlights help with this issue? Given that you look ahead of where you are turning if the adaptive headlights turn only in response to steering input they won't be pointing in the right direction when entering or exiting a turn.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Given that you look ahead of where you are turning if the adaptive headlights turn only in response to steering input they won't be pointing in the right direction when entering or exiting a turn.
This used to be the case with early generation adaptive lights, it was impossible to accelerate out of a corner until the wheel was straight as you couldn't see anything! On the Alfa, only one side swivels, the other remains straight.

One weird thing I've noticed is if the headlights are on main beam and you select dip in the corner, the headlight that is swivelled doesn't return to dip until it is centered. Has anybody else noticed this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 Giulia Ti, Sports Package, Driver Assist Dynamic Package + more ... Picked it up 10 days ago.

My Automatic High Beam Headlights don't seem to get activated on a dark road; that is, light icon in the cluster never turns blue ...

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Push lever forward to turn on High Beam then it will turn on and off automatically (of course determined by light the car sees). Took me awhile to figure this out. ambient lights, street lights, on coming cars and car speed all effect when they turn on and off (push lever again to turn off feature). Also the feature must by turned on in settings/lights.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I live in a rural area with dark roads and need to see four legged obstacles roaming about at night. My Quad has the standard bi-xenon headlights with auto high beam control. Auto high beam control works really well and the illumination provided at both high and low beams is quite good. When making sharp turns at low speeds the inside of the corner is illuminated by side lamps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks!

I played with the lever last night and not sure if I got it!!
I have the headlights on Auto.

I pulled the lever towards me, the headlight indicator turned blue and as soon as I let go it went back to non-blue Auto.
I pushed the lever towards the cluster but got no blue headlight indicator. Instead it looked like it went back to a non-auto headlight.

I'll play with it again tonight and take some pics too.

My Maserati Ghibli at least gave me a message saying "headlight enabled/disabled" and they worked automatically and very well.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lockem, Since your original post. IIHS has tested the Giulia and gave it a "top safety pick" providing the car has both the static and dynamic safety packages and the adaptive b-xenon headlights---On their website they also have data on these lights which scored top marks for illumination, glare, etc...

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lockem, Since your original post. IIHS has tested the Giulia and gave it a "top safety pick" providing the car has both the static and dynamic safety packages and the adaptive b-xenon headlights---On their website they also have data on these lights which scored top marks for illumination, glare, etc...
I saw that, thanks. They also gave the standard Giulia bi-xenon headlights a failing grade due to excessive glare.
They don't test for upward glare. My car is due in 3-4 weeks, so hopefully I will get a chance to see for myself.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks!

I played with the lever last night and not sure if I got it!!
I have the headlights on Auto.

I pulled the lever towards me, the headlight indicator turned blue and as soon as I let go it went back to non-blue Auto.
I pushed the lever towards the cluster but got no blue headlight indicator. Instead it looked like it went back to a non-auto headlight.

I'll play with it again tonight and take some pics too.

My Maserati Ghibli at least gave me a message saying "headlight enabled/disabled" and they worked automatically and very well.
Read the manual for proper operation.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.