Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 2017 Giulia. Best car I have ever owned. Beautiful handling, steering precision. Wonder if anyone feels one shortcoming is the quality of the gear shift lever. It is hard plastic with sharp edges. Has anyone upgraded theirs with the aftermarket (ebay) "carbon fiber" piece. Better yet, it would be great if someone made that trim piece in leather? Wish Alfa would offer it as an accessory.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Agreed, that sharp edge on the front of the trim piece is the biggest thing I don't like about it. Not really into CF so it would be nice to have other choices.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Totally agree. Really hate both how it feels and how it works. Some thick firm leather would be great to solve the former. Nothing to do about the latter. Also hate the plastic "chrome" piece at the center bottom of the steering wheel. As you said - still the best car I have ever owned and a joy to drive...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to know I am not alone. Here in Pennsylvania, the Alfas are just not moving. Our local dealer in Central Pennsylvania has 2017 Giulias at $10k off sticker. They have 52 Stelvios.. as well. If FCA would spend some dollars on advertising as it such a great car. Just a few tactile upgrades to the interior and you have more than a challenge to the BMWs, Audis and Mercedes guys. I have owned them all and the Alfa simply does everything well. Also hope as time goes on they will improve the NAV display. HK Stereo is quite good once broken in. I can recommend the ebay door inserts where your hand goes..fit well and add a nice touch.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
I love my 2017 Giulia. Best car I have ever owned. Beautiful handling, steering precision. Wonder if anyone feels one shortcoming is the quality of the gear shift lever. It is hard plastic with sharp edges. Has anyone upgraded theirs with the aftermarket (ebay) "carbon fiber" piece. Better yet, it would be great if someone made that trim piece in leather? Wish Alfa would offer it as an accessory.
The ebay stuff glues on. It is unclear to me that it will hide the sharp edge.
Mopar sells a CF snap on replacement that does not have the sharp edge. I've been told it is a little tricky to install.

If you have a steady hand you might be able to trim the sharp edge off with an exacto knife.

IMO, AR should have put a 4C style push button shifter/panel in Giulia in order to avoid a long list of issues.

·
Banned
391 Posts
Installed cf trim but cannot agree with sharp edge. Perhaps got lucky. Just the design overall is lacking. Was thinking a rotary dial to match theme and manual mode activated by pulling on paddles and stays in mode until cancelled by pulling holding paddle. Looks wise most like the classic gear shift look. Imo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts