Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I think an interesting question is if you will be able to still make it run and drive properly 50 years from now. I was able to do so with my E-type, but it did not have computers talking to more computers all using proprietary software that runs on chips that won't be made anymore a few years from when the car was produced.

·
Registered
170 Posts
LOL Dino. You = Alfa Cop, policing internet f'wits worldwide.
...and unfortunately too commonly kids/trolls it would seem:
https://disqus.com/by/disqus_oSgGHNItW0/?

Agreed Lockem. The highest maintenance cost would probably be with the auto electrican.

Funny this article was posted, the better half suggested not long after getting the car it could become a cult classic too. Value will depend on how many AR sell in coming years.

EVERY time I/we drive the car, get more looks than I can count. Some just stare at the car as long as they can until I drive off, others just stare at 'who is the driver of that car'. It can be a bit awkward and annoying at times TBH lol.

I drive through CBD pretty frequently and the ones who stare at the driver commonly look miserable, as they appear to be dissatisfied city workers during commute times dreaming of a better life, like 'that mother f*cker driving that red magical thing right in front of me'. I swear their face actually gets more angry when they work out who the driver is, and in fact, IT IS NOT THEM.

The rest who look are focused on the car and you can see genuine interest or excitement in their face. I've seen numerous couples be walking and then one points out in excitement to the other half along the lines of "Hey! Look at that!".

It does seem to create happiness with most observers simply for it's design, and that I love.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Lockem's point is valid but collector community is a special breed.....the way society is going, these will be among the last of real driver cars....and as we say in my business "with your money and my time we can do anything for you". There will be services to make these cars work properly 100 years from now for few lucky people but the cost will be astronomical.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I think an interesting question is if you will be able to still make it run and drive properly 50 years from now. I was able to do so with my E-type, but it did not have computers talking to more computers all using proprietary software that runs on chips that won't be made anymore a few years from when the car was produced.
yeah but your a different breed of car guy...you live(d) with Lucas in your E-Type:p

that said...trying to predict collector car status for something like a Giulia is crazy....no one knows for sure...too many variables...
if someone would have told you that long nose P-Cars would be trading for what they are today(though slightly down) you'd have laughed at them...especially 912s!
if someone would have told me that my 89 E30 M3 w/122k on the odo would be worth 50k today I'd have laughed at you!
nope just no way to tell...AND THAT goes for recognized exotics....David Piper did a interview/doc, think its on Petrolicious...and he talks about his early racing days with a Ferrari GTO:grin2: yeah that GTO he had not 1 but 3!...paid $4500 for it back then...in the interview he called the car a clapped out race car, a great one, but tired and rebuilt....had he known it would have been worth 10's of millions of dollars today he would have kept one!:grin2: this is coming from a guy with a couple of P2 Ferraris and a 917 Porsche..
so gents, if you have a Quad...drive it like there is no tomorrow..don't sweat the mileage...enjoy it...and hold onto it if you like...but don't do it because you think your going to make money on it down the road...but that's just me.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
It's interesting to see the cars at the annual Woodward Dream Cruise. While, not surprisingly, performance models are overrepresented, that there are plenty of base models speaks to the nostalgia cars can evoke.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
yeah but your a different breed of car guy...you live(d) with Lucas in your E-Type:p
Yah, Lucas is the Prince of Darkness...

Curiously I had relatively little trouble with the Lucas electrics on either the E-type or the Commando. Equally as curious is how familiar the problems that I did have might sound to a new Giulia owner:

On the E-type:
In tank Fuel pump fails (well known fault, replace with different unit from a later model).
Windshield washer pump fails (well known fault, no known fix).

On the Commando:
Ignition coils fail if you over tighten the clamps (RTFM and don't do that!).

Anyway, there is a big gap between replicating a mechanical part on an old car that can be measured and hand machined as needed versus an electronic part that took teams of software programmers and chip designers to make work. One purpose of buying a clone ECU tune kit is to have a "spare" ECU on hand to extend the life of the vehicle. On Giulia having a spare TCU, BCM, and maybe a few other "magic boxes" may also be necessary to be able to keep the car drivable long-term.

Yes, I agree that Giulia may be on the short list of the last "driver's cars" to be made. Mazda doesn't advertise "zoom-zoom" anymore, instead they advertise "what a nice comfy car" and all the other brands of sedans seem to have already headed in that direction. The transition to driver less cars may make getting from point A to point B safer and more convenient, but it will suck the life out of the fun of driving. I will go so far as to predict that by 20 years from now you will see driver less RACE cars as a "main stay" in vehicle racing and our youth will not understand why anyone would ever have wanted to control a vehicle directly.

There is always the threat that you might not be able to get gasoline in the future and/or that only autonomous vehicles will be allowed on the roads.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I will be dead 50 years from now or very close to it.

I believe we're in the muscle car bubble right now. All of these cars will be collectibles soon as the self-driving cars begin their take-over.

I doubt we'll see a lot of 500HP+ self-driving cars.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I will be dead 50 years from now or very close to it.

I believe we're in the muscle car bubble right now. All of these cars will be collectibles soon as the self-driving cars begin their take-over.

I doubt we'll see a lot of 500HP+ self-driving cars.
you and me both brother...and frankly I would not want too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts