Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel economy figures for the base Giulia are now posted on fueleconomy.gov - good new for cars being delivered to dealers this month

Here are the numbers + some competitors

Combined / City / Highway

27 / 24 / 33 Giulia/Ti
27 / 23 / 34 BMW 330i
28 / 25 / 33 Audi A4

26 / 23 / 31 Giulia/Ti AWD
26 / 23 / 33 BMW 330i xDrive
27 / 24 / 31 Auti A4 Quattro

20 / 17 / 24 Giulia QV

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think those numbers are pretty low for the highway. I'll know soon. In a matter of days my son will be picking up his car in South Carolina and driving it back to Oklahoma. Lot's of opportunity to check fuel economy and more!

Greg

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motor Trend's RealMPG is higher for Giulia, but the highway is done at steady 65mpg

31.8 / 28.2 / 37.9 Giulia/Ti
26.2 / 24.6 / 33.9 BMW 330i
26.7 / 23.8 / 31.8 Audi A4 Quattro

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah thats why I got the QV:rolleyes:...good gas mileage...was key....are you guys kidding??!! :grin2:
Not everyone can afford a Q4. My std Guilia gets about 26 in "n" and 28 in "a". Combined. The definition of "performance " is more than 0-60. BTW, my 1290 Super Duke gets 41 mpg and will smoke any Q4 here.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Not everyone can afford a Q4. My std Guilia gets about 26 in "n" and 28 in "a". Combined. The definition of "performance " is more than 0-60. BTW, my 1290 Super Duke gets 41 mpg and will smoke any Q4 here.
Lighten up their Chief...no one is commenting on what people can & can't afford...the question was about what type of gas mileage you achieve in your Giulia...and fuel economy was not a deciding factor on my purchase of the QV.didn't purchase a Q4...so I do not pay attention to it...as we all know anyway mileage WILL vary based on many factors...
and I am fully aware of what performance means...and if I was measuring it strictly by 0-60 & 1/4 mile times I would have purchased something else......great for you and your KTM would hope that you would smoke most any car for that matter...
BTW not EVERYONE can afford a 17k motorcycle.....

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
well I sure used theoretical fuel economy as a selling point this weekend; my wife had a ride from the airport in one of those suburban limos, suitable for large groups, so was asking the driver about fuel economy. He explained ir wasn't bad because it switches to 4 cylinder.
She has been questioning why I want a 6 cylinder Alfa (she drives 6 cylinder BMW's, but did test an M once), and I was able to point out that it will be a low compression 1500 cc triple most of the time (HAHA), better than a 4 that doesn't shut off, and only when called upon will the higher compression provided by the turbos and all six cylinders become available.

I offered this as an explanation to my v8 bmw son, when he heard the video of the v6 Stelvio pulling into the LA Auto show - he said it sounded like a tractor, and I gave him this reasoning.
edit - I didn't remind him that his fan shattered and dented the hood when he did a big burnout.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Lighten up their Chief...no one is commenting on what people can & can't afford...the question was about what type of gas mileage you achieve in your Giulia...and fuel economy was not a deciding factor on my purchase of the QV.didn't purchase a Q4...so I do not pay attention to it...as we all know anyway mileage WILL vary based on many factors...
and I am fully aware of what performance means...and if I was measuring it strictly by 0-60 & 1/4 mile times I would have purchased something else......great for you and your KTM would hope that you would smoke most any car for that matter...
BTW not EVERYONE can afford a 17k motorcycle.....
Or a motorcycle that requires a rebuild every 10k miles or so as "scheduled maintenance". KTM makes road going race bikes.

Anyway QV is reportedly able to get 28-30MPG highway and Q4 35-37MPG, both assuming long distance constant speed runs at modest (55-70MPH) speeds.
Alfa claims Q4 will get 37MPG (conditions not explained). I don't know what conditions EPA used to come up with 31MPG.

Conditions of performance measurements (acceleration or MPG or cornering gs or whatever) are important. Q4 will 0-60MPH in about 5.1 seconds on 91 octane gas on smooth, level pavement and with a pre-start spool-up of the turbo. Try that again while making a 90 degree turn onto a road with a rough surface and an incline while running 87 octane gas and no turbo spool up and you can expect a lot more time to get from 0 to 60MPH. If you compare these numbers to a different car that does not have a turbo charger, the degradation for the later scenario should be smaller. The net result is that if the two cars are similar in performance the "winner" may be different in these two conditions. However, if the performance is substantially different between the two cars, the faster car will win both "races".

·
Registered
42 Posts
My last tank was a long distance motorway trip over 450 km, with cruising speeds around 150 kph, where it returned 10.2 litres/100 km, or 23 mpg (US), which I found extremely impressive. If only it had a larger tank, it would be perfect! This is for a 6 speed manual, no doubt the ZF 8 speed would be even better.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
34 mpg @ ~75 mph for a 300+ mile drive. I think that's great for a car with the Giulia Ti's performance.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
My qv gets 12 mpg. I’m ok with it cause it’s running great. Doesn’t do to bad on highway maybe 17 mpg. I never take it out of D mode. I made “Jules” a promise after she threw her first CEL and went into N mode. She was mad so I promised her it’s D and race mode from here on out. And the car runs beautiful. I really believe some issues stem from constant N mode. I could be totally wrong but I feel the car needs to be opened up regularly not just sometimes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Reset the trip ODO before a 3460 mile trip to northern New England, from my driveway and back averaged 26.5 MPG according to the car. Find that hard to believe but that's what it displayed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Last tank: 20.5
Average since new: 22
Current OD reading: 1450
calculated since new using "My Firestone" app.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts