Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been seriously considering purchasing a Giulia for some time now and this past weekend I finally started searching. After trading a few Emails I went to a local dealer with my eye on a car with the dual pane sunroof (a requirement for me) only to find that I don't quite fit! Now, I'm not a huge guy by any means - a little less than 6'2, though probably with a disproportionately large torso compared to my legs, but I couldn't find a seating position, outside of an extreme backwards lean, where I wasn't brushing my head on the ceiling. I tried cars with the base, sport and lusso seats with the same results. I was however, able to fit in a car without the sunroof, but like I said, not really an option for me.

What strikes me as odd is that In searching here and across the many reviews of Giulias out there there really isn't any mention of headroom being an issue. Jeremy clarkson even fit (in a QV) and he's 6'5! So, am I doing something wrong? (granted, I do have experience with how power seats work) This is me, with two different sales people across 4 different cars. Is there a setting or something that I'm missing that doesn't let the seats drop to their lowest positions? Do the seats "settle" any from when they're new (a 1/4 inch would make a difference)? I know this is a relatively new car, but are there any known aftermarket options for lowering the seats?

I appreciate any help, as I'm pretty crushed at the moment.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm 6' and driving on highest seat position, my kids are 6'1 and 6'5 and no issues there too, but I dont have sunroof as I didnt want one due to limited head room on back seat.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
What exactly is your head brushing, the sunroof itself, the sunroof shade, or the headliner outboard of the sunroof?

I'm a leggy 6'0" and have a sunroof despite not wanting one. Front seat headroom isn't an issue, but I wouldn't want to be a back seat passenger.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What strikes me as odd is that In searching here and across the many reviews of Giulias out there there really isn't any mention of headroom being an issue. Jeremy clarkson even fit (in a QV) and he's 6'5! So, am I doing something wrong? (granted, I do have experience with how power seats work) This is me, with two different sales people across 4 different cars.
Keep in mind the QV has a carbon fiber roof and no sunroof, even as an option, to lower the center of gravity and reduce weight overall. The added benefit is the headroom gets maxed out with no sunroof mechanism. I think you might have stumbled on a perfect excuse to HAVE to buy a QV :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What exactly is your head brushing, the sunroof itself, the sunroof shade, or the headliner outboard of the sunroof?

I'm a leggy 6'0" and have a sunroof despite not wanting one. Front seat headroom isn't an issue, but I wouldn't want to be a back seat passenger.
Headliner outboard of the sunroof. My head is 85% NOT under the sunroof, but rather under the headliner to the left of the sunroof which is WAY low
if i lean way right onto the center console, no issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind the QV has a carbon fiber roof and no sunroof, even as an option, to lower the center of gravity. The added benefit is the headroom gets maxed out with no sunroof mechanism. I think you might have stumbled on a perfect excuse to HAVE to buy a QV :D
Yeah, trust me, I thought of that. The AWD what's keeping me out of a QV... That and being a cheapskate. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I'm 6' and driving on highest seat position, my kids are 6'1 and 6'5 and no issues there too, but I dont have sunroof as I didnt want one due to limited head room on back seat.
Same in my Q4. I'm 6'2 and never brushed my head even with a helmet on :) Maybe keep playing with that seat, think there's a slam to the floor option (I often chose that in any car)

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Headliner outboard of the sunroof. My head is 85% NOT under the sunroof, but rather under the headliner to the left of the sunroof which is WAY low.
if i lean way right onto the center console, no issue.

Yeah, trust me, I thought of that. The AWD what's keeping me out of a QV... That and being a cheapskate. :laugh:
Leaning is no answer (and people might think you're from Detroit). Maybe let the cheapskate discipline win? The car is great, with or without a sunroof, and you'll save $$$ (and weight) by not having one.

Reactions: Max

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I would go and play and take some photos but the wife took it this morning. I think there is a small button that lowers it rather than back and forth. I am a big guy so i'm with you, the driving position / room is one of my prerequisites. I think someone will be along with a manual link shortly... SOMEONE? Are you there?? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would go and play and take some photos but the wife took it this morning. I think there is a small button that lowers it rather than back and forth. I am a big guy so i'm with you, the driving position / room is one of my prerequisites. I think someone will be along with a manual link shortly... SOMEONE? Are you there?? :)
I've looked that up as well, unless there's something other than the button 1 it sounds like I'm SOL.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I must have been thinking of #1. Did you try a non-sunroof thats the only difference I can see? I can't see work out why you wouldn't fit...unless you have a crazy haircut :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must have been thinking of #1. Did you try a non-sunroof thats the only difference I can see? I can't see work out why you wouldn't fit...unless you have a crazy haircut :)
hahaha, oh yeah, I'm 6'7 with the afro... Yes I fit in a non sunroof car, but it's not something I want to compromise on. I'm also considering options from Audi and... BMW. I'm going to go try again at lunch and will report back.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi All,

I've been seriously considering purchasing a Giulia for some time now and this past weekend I finally started searching. After trading a few Emails I went to a local dealer with my eye on a car with the dual pane sunroof (a requirement for me) only to find that I don't quite fit! Now, I'm not a huge guy by any means - a little less than 6'2, though probably with a disproportionately large torso compared to my legs, but I couldn't find a seating position, outside of an extreme backwards lean, where I wasn't brushing my head on the ceiling. I tried cars with the base, sport and lusso seats with the same results. I was however, able to fit in a car without the sunroof, but like I said, not really an option for me.

What strikes me as odd is that In searching here and across the many reviews of Giulias out there there really isn't any mention of headroom being an issue. Jeremy clarkson even fit (in a QV) and he's 6'5! So, am I doing something wrong? (granted, I do have experience with how power seats work) This is me, with two different sales people across 4 different cars. Is there a setting or something that I'm missing that doesn't let the seats drop to their lowest positions? Do the seats "settle" any from when they're new (a 1/4 inch would make a difference)? I know this is a relatively new car, but are there any known aftermarket options for lowering the seats?

I appreciate any help, as I'm pretty crushed at the moment.
When I first looked at getting one, I test drove a Q4 as there was no quad available to drive. Instantly the sunroof was an issue for me. They had a quad in for a service and they let me sit in it. Problem solved. Carbon roof means no sunroof. No sunroof means 2 inches extra headroom...BOOM. Bought a quad.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm 5'11" tall with a 30" inseam and a long torso. When I first test drove my Giulia with dual pane sunroof my head was bumping the headliner and I was shocked at how little headroom there was in anything but the lowest seating position. My seat is always as low as it can go and even then I've only got ~1.5" clearance at most, which varies depending on how I'm positioned in the seat, whether I'm wearing a hat, etc.. It's definitely much lower roof line compared to my last car. Such is the price of style. My kid loves the fixed glass sunroof in the rear as he can see more of the world.

I'm honestly surprised at how high the seat adjustment goes. Very short people with long legs should have no trouble at all. Personally, I'd prefer the seat go even lower. But most of all I wish my Sport seats had the Lusso-only tilting seat bottom option. C'est la vie. I believe a Lusso "Luxury" seat comfort seat module retrofit for my Sport seats will be cost prohibitive. So instead I'm considering fixed spacers to go under the seat mount to give me a little more seat bottom recline.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
My solution is simple: forget the exploding, leaking, rattling, failure prone, overheat-the-car-in-the-summer, weight adding, roll over performance degrading, wallet lightening, hearing loss inducing (if opened while driving) and body roll increasing sun roof.

Being able to adjust the seat to a high position is handy for people with bad knees who want to be able to get out of the car with less pain.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Ditto.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts