Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun checked KBB and as it currently stands the car's value on the QV is:

Just interesting to see 1st years value dropping (I Know it 1st year is usually the most).

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think unlike maseratis the QV’s accolades in the press will help the resale a bit but all specialty sedans seem to drop more than equivalent two door sportscars. It’s just the nature of the market. That said I have a feeling Giulia QV’s are going to become more rarely made by approximately half. The Stelvio QV shares the engine/transmission with the Giulia QV and probably has a strong crossover in market so when the Stelvio QV’s ramp up I expect the Giulia QV production to scale back and it might help the used market a bit. Who knows though new company to the market with short track record selling a low volume performance model... could go in many ways...

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I did the same thing for shits and giggles...frankly I was not surprised...I was more surprised that my MY11 335i x-drive coupe was worth 14k...LOL

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the same thing for shits and giggles...frankly I was not surprised...I was more surprised that my MY11 335i x-drive coupe was worth 14k...LOL
Wow haha. Looks like my Saab 9-4x is still holding collector status even at 100k miles with a value of 16.1k

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
20% depreciation after the first year is not unusual for the sector, but I am just wondering how many will you find for sale at that price.......

unless of course it is from an owner who can't stand the fact that the QV doesn't come with a manual transmission......

Reactions: genyosai

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I was checking autotrader last night comparing Lambos against GTRs and QV's (as you do) and saw a QV for $63k with 4k miles. Just had a break problem but said it came with a warranty (why not fix it?). Conversely I saw base for low 30's too :-0

·
Registered
646 Posts
I was checking autotrader last night comparing Lambos against GTRs and QV's (as you do) and saw a QV for $63k with 4k miles. Just had a break problem but said it came with a warranty (why not fix it?). Conversely I saw base for low 30's too :-0
That would be a dealer buyback no? Which generally implies it was not fixable (assuming a basic level of dealer competence, which in good practice should not be assumed as to Alfa dealers.)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"stelvio qv's ramp up"

I'm waiting for mine, but reading this forum and the stelvio forum, I think it will have low sales compared to the giulia qv.
car guys want to lower their qv's, and most stelvio people don't seem interested in the race mode or big horsepower. seem to be quite different outlooks.

we will see ... eventually

·
Registered
5,010 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think unlike maseratis the QV’s accolades in the press will help the resale a bit but all specialty sedans seem to drop more than equivalent two door sportscars. It’s just the nature of the market. That said I have a feeling Giulia QV’s are going to become more rarely made by approximately half. The Stelvio QV shares the engine/transmission with the Giulia QV and probably has a strong crossover in market so when the Stelvio QV’s ramp up I expect the Giulia QV production to scale back and it might help the used market a bit. Who knows though new company to the market with short track record selling a low volume performance model... could go in many ways...
My theory, for what it is worth, is that the QV is always destined to be a low production number car with even fewer on the street. It's a halo car designed to build the brand. I suspect they are making a loss on each unit (consider the components and workmanship for a retail price less than a Cayman S).

If this strategy is successful, they will discontinue it asap an favor of something cheaper to make. If the brand flops, the whole brand pulls back. Either way I don't see a long production run.

Then consider that race mode disable all the nannies, so a few will end up wrapped around trees reducing the availability on the used market still further.

So if you are an optimist, it's a future sought after classic. :grin2:

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
my theory, for what it is worth, is that the qv is always destined to be a low production number car with even fewer on the street. It's a halo car designed to build the brand. I suspect they are making a loss on each unit (consider the components and workmanship for a retail price less than a cayman s).

If this strategy is successful, they will discontinue it asap an favor of something cheaper to make. If the brand flops, the whole brand pulls back. Either way i don't see a long production run.

Then consider that race mode disable all the nannies, so a few will end up wrapped around trees reducing the availability on the used market still further.

So if you are an optimist, it's a future sought after classic. :grin2:

spot on!...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
"stelvio qv's ramp up"

I'm waiting for mine, but reading this forum and the stelvio forum, I think it will have low sales compared to the giulia qv.
car guys want to lower their qv's, and most stelvio people don't seem interested in the race mode or big horsepower. seem to be quite different outlooks.

we will see ... eventually
I considered the Stelvio Q.V. almost completely because of awd. I don’t particularly like suv’s and do like a rwd car’s driving dynamics but coming off a few Audi quatros I can see the utility of all weather traction and I’m probably not alone in this. That said I bought the GQV and ordered a spare set of wheels for winter tires to solve that problem but many many people never want to swap wheel/tires let alone take the car in to swap on winter tires. The vast majority of people only change tires when worn and some don’t even change them at that point either.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'm really not sure what swapping tires has to do with it - you can run the tires you want on either vehicle.
the AWD to me is a negative, clearance and cargo are the issues. I sure hope/expect I will like this AWD better than prior 4wd I've used, but would prefer a "delete" option or an "off" switch, or a remove the front drive shaft ability.

stelvio Q foolishness on gravel
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfLV0yqhlcE/?taken-by=alfanclub
edit foolishess deleted by owner

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well it snows in more than half this country so AWD is desirable to most people. That and in today’s world so many people lease they never buy replacement tires and I’d bet the number of people who swap tires for seasons is smaller and smaller, especially considering how many AWD cars are sold nowadays. Sure even AWD vehicles benefit from winter tires but most people don’t think that way.

·
Registered
630 Posts
That would be a dealer buyback no? Which generally implies it was not fixable (assuming a basic level of dealer competence, which in good practice should not be assumed as to Alfa dealers.)
I know a lot of people like to buy secondhand to save money on depreciation. But possibly buying a lemon is a big reason why I'd be very reluctant to buy any used but new-ish Quadrifoglio. Assuming you could buy a brand new 2017 Quadrifoglio with a $10k discount already, for a few grand in additional savings here you lose the protection of lemon laws. That's a big gamble IMO and one I'm not willing to take. I know not everyone thinks like me but I'd need an even bigger discount to justify it, which would tend to push Quadrifoglio residuals even lower/faster.

For me, modern, complex and potentially finicky cars with marginal dealer support like the Quadrifoglio are the kind you either buy brand new (and hope for the best!) or the kind you buy years down the road when fully depreciated and all the major problem spots have well documented DIY fixes, which puts it firmly into weekend toy car/ project car status. And at that point, you have to wonder whether it's even worth it as I would most likely choose something other than an older but not yet classic uber-sedan as my weekend toy car/ project car. To me, the thing that makes the Giulia great right now is that it's sporty yet somewhat practical given the 4 doors and rear seats. Not many people need or want this level of practicality when they're contemplating what weekend toy car they want to fulfill their desire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To the OP:

There are two value guides most people use to determine the retail market value of a used car:
the Kelly Blue Book (KBB) and the NADA Blue Book (NBB). Both of these value guides can be accessed online. The KBB valuation is invariably the low ball, while the NBB is typically higher. Most people usually take the average of the two to come up with a fair value for the used car. And the asking prices on sites like AutoTrader usually reflect this.

Of course, my experience (mostly with BMWs) is that interested buyers almost always pitch the KBB low ball.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts