Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yeah ok..... I'm not sure that I would call a colour release a special edition especially if it is standard for a given model year or years. Ron clearly has though so may be it is a special edition.

What I was thinking more along the lines of packaging up a rnage of options - say the leather upgrade, heater seat and wheel + the HK audio. Then the marketers get to work and give it some name like the Belissima Pack or add a bunch of Italian red, white and green icons inside and out and call it the Italia pack.
This 6C Villa d’Este edition is a “special color”, leather interior, driving assist stuff and the Giulia appears to have the “performance pack”(Q2).

In context(of Alfa Romeo), the 4C had the Spider Italia and Tributo; special colors and some options bundled in.

I would definitely consider the GTA/m a “special edition” as well.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
This 6C Villa d’Este edition is a “special color”, leather interior, driving assist stuff and the Giulia appears to have the “performance pack”(Q2).

In context(of Alfa Romeo), the 4C had the Spider Italia and Tributo; special colors and some options bundled in.

I would definitely consider the GTA/m a “special edition” as well.
I would have said that the 4C Tributo was a typical limited edition run out pack - like you say a special colour and some added goodies and a nice name.

This is probably just semantics but I see the 4C Tributo as a limited edition - same with the GTA/m. These cars carry t a price premium for thier exclusivity and uncommon spec while a special edition is a largely a marketing exercise - some added goodies and a specification lift often with a very small or no price uplift. It the manufacturer saying we will give you more for effectively less $ as an inticement to come and buy.

Back to the Giulia - the approach to the way the Giulia is presented in the US and here in Australia is markedly different. Here we have two specs for the 4 cylinder - the Sport (200bhp, no LSD, standard seats, no extended leather and no offset wheels) and the Veloce (280hp) which comes has a fully factory specced car - your choices on the Veloce are limited to adding the HK audio, and sunroof and selecting an interior colour. That's it.

I'm expecting that at some point here in Aus we will start getting Sport models with added features some drawn from the Veloce and possiby some other specs from variations we don't see here.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I would have said that the 4C Tributo was a typical limited edition run out pack - like you say a special colour and some added goodies and a nice name.

This is probably just semantics but I see the 4C Tributo as a limited edition - same with the GTA/m. These cars carry t a price premium for thier exclusivity and uncommon spec while a special edition is a largely a marketing exercise - some added goodies and a specification lift often with a very small or no price uplift. It the manufacturer saying we will give you more for effectively less $ as an inticement to come and buy.

Back to the Giulia - the approach to the way the Giulia is presented in the US and here in Australia is markedly different. Here we have two specs for the 4 cylinder - the Sport (200bhp, no LSD, standard seats, no extended leather and no offset wheels) and the Veloce (280hp) which comes has a fully factory specced car - your choices on the Veloce are limited to adding the HK audio, and sunroof and selecting an interior colour. That's it.

I'm expecting that at some point here in Aus we will start getting Sport models with added features some drawn from the Veloce and possiby some other specs from variations we don't see here.
I'm glad you get to select whether the sunroof is included. Is AWD among the choices?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm glad you get to select whether the sunroof is included. Is AWD among the choices?
No AWD. All Aus spec 2.0l cars are Q2's. Winter weather here is benign compared to many parts of the world.

I get the attaction or need for the Q4 in say the NE states but are sales regionally split between the Q4 and Q2? More Q4's sold in the north and more Q2's sold in say Texas or California?

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Veloce (MY19) - 1973 C110 Skyline - 1977 Datsun 810 SSS - 1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
325 Posts
No AWD. All Aus spec 2.0l cars are Q2's. Winter weather here is benign compared to many parts of the world.

I get the attaction or need for the Q4 in say the NE states but are sales regionally split between the Q4 and Q2? More Q4's sold in the north and more Q2's sold in say Texas or California?
AWD would be nice, Assuming they would get off the line a bit quicker than just RWD

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
AWD also helps in rain.

·
Registered
236 Posts
AWD also helps in rain.
What we lack in ice and snow here in Melbourne we make up for in rain......

AWD would be nice, Assuming they would get off the line a bit quicker than just RWD
I don't know....I like RWD. Had AWD in a couple of previous cars - Golf R and Audi S3 but they were both really FWD made better. Last RWD car was an BMW 135 coupe. I enjoyed that car a lot when it was working but reliability was rubbish so it didn't last long - my only car that didn't survive the duration of its lease.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Based on what I've seen with Ram, Charger, and Challenger, I'd say they're limited only by imagination and funding approval. We'll find out eventually.
Dodge sold 96,000+ Chargers (USA) in 2019.
Jeep sold 228,000+ Wranglers (USA) in 2019.
Ram sold 633,000+ All Models (USA) in 2019 (No model breakdowns available).

AR sold 18,000+ All Models (USA) in 2019. ...Every single US Alfa Romeo is a special edition.

You also had the NRing and Carbon Package/Nero Package add extras.

Do they help to increase brand awareness?
- That is probably what you are really after, but how compelling are these to the average conquest shopper?

Do they help to increase production?
- Maybe or maybe they make the same # of cars and just increase their ASP. Perhaps it's just a way to sell a car that was already going to exist with a slightly higher price tag.

Reactions: Norwood61

·
Registered
49 Posts
When do you guys think the Giulia will be discontinued?

I think it's safe to assume there will be no major drivetrain changes/updates or a facelift using the current platform?

Cheers
I think the Giulia has several years remaining. It's such a great platform and much loved by owners, despite the reliability issues with the earliest model year. I love my 2019 QV and have no plan to replace it unless its with a 2022 model in Verde. We replaced our 2018 Stelvio with a 2021 model when the warranty expired. Alfa Romeo has earned my loyalty.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,598 Posts
Look at cars line the gtr and challenger, those have been in production forever compared to something like the m3 which is replaced every 5 years or so

I guess it varies

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Look at cars line the gtr and challenger, those have been in production forever compared to something like the m3 which is replaced every 5 years or so

I guess it varies
BMW usually do this every 5/6 years they redesign & redesignate the platform
ie: E36 3 series 1994 to 1999 E46 3 series 2000 to 2006 E90/92 3 series 2006/7 to 2013 (little longer)

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
BMW usually do this every 5/6 years they redesign & redesignate the platform
ie: E36 3 series 1994 to 1999 E46 3 series 2000 to 2006 E90/92 3 series 2006/7 to 2013 (little longer)
Exactly, meanwhile hasn't the gtr been the same since 2009?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
pretty much with the exception of HP bumps and "special editions" like the NISMO, Track Edition etc.
but that is indeed GODZILLA!...tough to improve on from a performance angle
That's true. The tech and inside may be old but the driving experience never gets old lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
[ That's true. The tech and inside may be old but the driving experience never gets old lol /QUOTE]

If this most recent statement attributed to Jean-Philippe Imparato is correct then it seems that they are working on ways to continue traditional Alfa values in the interior of the to be released future BEV cars. I certainly agree with the idea that an Alfa is not an iPad with a car built around it.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts