Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do wonder if they will switch the portfolio to the new platform with a ICE/PHEV drivetrain before the full EV version, and if thats the roadmap... the change could happen sooner rather than later.
I know nothing but would be a surprise if they did that. Expense seems out of sync with volumes. Tonale different as volumes should be higher and it should have a full model run of 8 years or so.

This may be of interest in the context of what's next......and a very nice reference to the design of the Giulia and the design issues of three box sedans work aesthetically when you include a battery pack.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I know nothing but would be a surprise if they did that. Expense seems out of sync with volumes. Tonale different as volumes should be higher and it should have a full model run of 8 years or so.

This may be of interest in the context of what's next......and a very nice reference to the design of the Giulia and the design issues of three box sedans work aesthetically when you include a battery pack.

A skateboard battery/chassis allows designers more freedom. At the same time the cars don’t have to be space ship blobs. The Model S and Model 3 are sculpted sedans.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,751 Posts
A skateboard battery/chassis allows designers more freedom. At the same time the cars don’t have to be space ship blobs. The Model S and Model 3 are sculpted sedans.
Imagine the results a more gifted sculptor can produce.

Reactions: johnalfa

·
Registered
705 Posts
Imagine the results a more gifted sculptor can produce.
lol. I know what you are trying to say, but I like them. Franz also designed the Mazda Kabura, Mazda Furai and the Pontiac Soltice/Saturn Sky converibles.

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
lol. I know what you are trying to say, but I like them. Franz also designed the Mazda Kabura, Mazda Furai and the Pontiac Soltice/Saturn Sky converibles.

View attachment 116060
His marching orders for the Model 3 and Model S may have been "make them distinctive" rather than "make them beautiful".

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discontinuing of the ICE Giulia (I expect the name to live on as an EV)...

I have been giving this some thought as well. One reason for wanting the Giulia soon is that I want at least one Italian ICE in my life, and w/ eRomeo coming in 2027 that means moving quick.

I could see them selling up until year 2026 for two reasons:

1) That allows ~5 years of the Giorgio-based Grand Cherokee L and Maserati Grecale
2) Due to inventory still existing.
They don't sell enough cars to run through their parts inventory each year. So, the parts could be from 2024-2026 but they will just stamp a MY2027 VIN.

Unless they already paid for a refresh for MY2023+, I don't expect the Giorgio platform will get any changes. But who knows really.
Technically, there's absolutely ZERO need for the Giulia to remain on the market just because the platform is still in use by other cars.

As far as inventory goes, the JIT model that the entire auto industry uses means there's never any overstock of any inventory parts that would last for any significant period of time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
His marching orders for the Model 3 and Model S may have been "make them distinctive" rather than "make them beautiful".
I think there is a balance between design, drag coefficient, interior space and profit margin.
Technically, there's absolutely ZERO need for the Giulia to remain on the market just because the platform is still in use by other cars.

As far as inventory goes, the JIT model that the entire auto industry uses means there's never any overstock of any inventory parts that would last for any significant period of time.
I meant if they are still using it for those, they can keep making the Giulia and Stelvio.

I assume AR orders enough parts to make more cars than they sell. They have higher aspirations than what they actually achieve. So, there could be parts leftover for another year.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I think there is a balance between design, drag coefficient, interior space and profit margin.
That's where talent and leadership direction make a difference. We can all name examples of cars we think were done well and those we think weren't.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Haven't started seeing any special editions yet so there still may be a way to go for the Giulia. When they start to arrive you know the end is near.
While that may be true with many companies, it's not with Stellantis. Look at how many "buzz models" there have been for the Charger, Challenger, and "Classic" Ram 1500. They keep churning them out, and people keep buying them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
While that may be true with many companies, it's not with Stellantis. Look at how many "buzz models" there have been for the Charger, Challenger, and "Classic" Ram 1500. They keep churning them out, and people keep buying them.
Have to admit ignorance here - I know nothing about US cars apart from a couple of the obvious - Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and Jeep of course. US made cars are not my thing.

The last time a Dodge was sold here was 2012 and the only Chysler sold in the last decade or so is the 300 and before that the Crossfire.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Have to admit ignorance here - I know nothing about US cars part from a couple of the obvious - Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and Jeep of course. US made cars are not my thing.

The last time a Dodge was sold here was 2012 and the only Chrysler sold in the last decade or so is the 300 and before that the Crossfire.
And I'm speculating that the magic can be applied to another brand.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I can see Alfa killing the US market but not rest of world. Alfa has a very strong brand awareness in Europe and it IS compared to the likes of Audi/BMW/Merc. The reason I mention a US exit is simply because they're doing absolutely nothing to reach customers. For folks that know Alfa, the first thing that comes to mind is (Beautiful, awesome but unreliable). This stigma has not been addressed and the US dealer network hasn't really done much to help this stigma if anything make it worse. The new leadership has clearly not invested in the US market (Marketing and advertisement, think how KIA went selling sub 12k cars to 55k!) yet they still want to magically see success? Overall though, I don't see the brand going away completely, they have a too strong of a presence and racing history to simply go away. They may only sell 150k cars a year, however, this brand carries Stellantis from a "flagship" brand perspective.

My crystal ball says the following for US market...

2022 - 4C Done. We all know this. Tonale is also released!
2023 - Mid cycle change including exterior and minor interior changes for Giulia/Stelvio. I don't see much movement in the power output area either.
2025 - FIAT US Exit
2026- Minor refresh for the Tonale and updates for Giulia/Stelvio
2027 - Alfa US Exit, been a great 10 years! We will miss you.

Meanwhile rest of world... They'll get a redesigned GTV in '28 and my all time sweetheart, Giulietta!

My .02 I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah ok..... I'm not sure that I would call a colour release a special edition especially if it is standard for a given model year or years. Ron clearly has though so may be it is a special edition.

What I was thinking more along the lines of packaging up a rnage of options - say the leather upgrade, heater seat and wheel + the HK audio. Then the marketers get to work and give it some name like the Belissima Pack or add a bunch of Italian red, white and green icons inside and out and call it the Italia pack.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Yeah ok..... I'm not sure that I would call a colour release a special edition especially if it is standard for a given model year or years. Ron clearly has though so may be it is a special edition.

What I was thinking more along the lines of packaging up a rnage of options - say the leather upgrade, heater seat and wheel + the HK audio. Then the marketers get to work and give it some name like the Belissima Pack or add a bunch of Italian red, white and green icons inside and out and call it the Italia pack.
Stellantis did announce this as a special edition.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Nring, gta, gtam. How many more special editions do you predict?
Based on what I've seen with Ram, Charger, and Challenger, I'd say they're limited only by imagination and funding approval. We'll find out eventually.

Reactions: beaups
21 - 40 of 63 Posts