Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you guys think the Giulia will be discontinued?

I think it's safe to assume there will be no major drivetrain changes/updates or a facelift using the current platform?

Cheers

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,497 Posts
When do you guys think the Giulia will be discontinued?

I think it's safe to assume there will be no major drivetrain changes/updates or a facelift using the current platform?

Cheers
2024 is my guess.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discontinuing of the ICE Giulia (I expect the name to live on as an EV)...

I have been giving this some thought as well. One reason for wanting the Giulia soon is that I want at least one Italian ICE in my life, and w/ eRomeo coming in 2027 that means moving quick.

I could see them selling up until year 2026 for two reasons:

1) That allows ~5 years of the Giorgio-based Grand Cherokee L and Maserati Grecale
2) Due to inventory still existing.
They don't sell enough cars to run through their parts inventory each year. So, the parts could be from 2024-2026 but they will just stamp a MY2027 VIN.

Unless they already paid for a refresh for MY2023+, I don't expect the Giorgio platform will get any changes. But who knows really.

Reactions: Il_Voce

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discontinuing Giulia? Alfa Romeo in 2027? I though the experts in the Forums are saying that Alfa Romeo will be completely dead pretty soon.
They are dead soon. The only thing, maybe, coming out is tonale. When’s the last time you heard anything about that? Theres nothing announced after that. All focus is on Maserati at this point. That’s my guess and opinion and disappointed I feel like this. I really want a qv, giulia or stelvio, but won’t buy one in this climate. Should have gotten one a year ago. Oh well, there’s always the grecale coming out soon.
btw, I’m no expert on Alfa. I just love my car and am glad I could own one. Hope it’s not the last. Maybe after all this supply chain garbage clears up, maybe Alfa makes another attempt. I’m all for that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think Alfa as a brand here will be fine if the dealers stay healthy. People need places to get their cars serviced and as dealers dry up so does the brand. But Stelantis, (I HATE that name) does not have much to market as a premium brand besides Alfa so I think they will try to keep Alfa afloat. They sell ok in Europe, and if you are building the cars anyway for the european market and you have a distribution network in the states there is no reason to scuttle your premium brand. Premium brands are where the money is and that is why Toyota launched Lexus, and Honda Acura, and Kia wants Genesis to succeed. The difference in the cost to produce a Corolla and a Lexus LS is not as great as the difference in dollars they bring in. Stelantis will want this brand to succeed desperately.

I filled out my Alfa survey and any chance I got to stress that they do almost no advertising and marketing. WHen people see the Giulia and the Stelvio (especially women) I hear remarks about what a sharp vehicle they are and the question "what is it?" If you have an attractive product and nobody knows the name of that product and where to get it, you are doing something very wrong.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This thread sounds like it is the sequel to the very compelling The future of Alfa Romeo - from June 17, 2021 - Larry Dominique, North America Lead and its even more popular original The general "mood" around the brand

As @Silverstroke suggests we all like a good doomsday story don't we? I do think we could up the ante on the thread titles though to something like Oblivion or When Time Runs Out or The Death of the Italian.

Whether or not the following are realised is something for debate but the plan seems pretty clear for the next few years.
  • The current Giulia and Stelvio will be around until at least 2024. That year or soon after the STLA platform is ready for the next iteration of those models or their EV replacements
  • There maybe some updates to the existing product but the fundamentals of both models are not going to change
  • That means a model/platform life of about 8/9 years. This seems about right for most brands (yes other brands may have changed the models face or bum once or twice in that period, Alfa hasn't)
  • There will be some continuing product from Alfa until at least 2030 based on Travares 10 year pledge to all Stellantis brands
  • The apparent current focus on Maserati is understandable their product range is generally a year or older than Afla's
  • The Tonale is now on the road being tested Alfa Romeo Tonale Spied With Provisional Taillights and looks like it might be just a few months from European release
  • A third smaller SUV is rumoured - the Brennaro (or similar) for 2023
  • That the Cherokee L and Grecale are using the Giogio platform and will do so after the current Giogio Giulia and Stelvio are gone makes sense. If anything we should be surprised this platfrorm sharing hasn't happened sooner. If you apply the roughly 8 year model life cycle to those products they would be being phased out around 2030 which is about D day for new build ICE cars in many markets around the world
Stellantis need Alfa to be a success but as a premium value product within their portfolio of brands not as a volume seller in its own right the way Sergio Marchionne imagined it might be with 400,000+ volumes. Those are the minimum numbers for standalone brand. Alfa as part of Stellantis could be a real success producing 150,000 - 200,000 units if they are premuim priced but still affordable cars sitting between Peugoet/Opel/Citroen and Maserati in Europe and fulfilling a similar role in other markets. Under Stellantis Alfa doesn't need to compete as directly or as intensely with BMW and Merc as Sergio seemed to have imagined the Giulia/Stelvio combo might have. Alfa just needs to produce a range of compelling products that might include a future GTV, Spider or Giuletta that can appeal to people who but into the concpets of style and performance (what ever that might be in the EV context other than 2 sec 0 -60 times - quick but boring).

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Unfortunately I cannot help but think that if Marchione were still alive things atAlfa would have been handled differently. This was his brainchild, his untimely passing created a vacuum, that has had many different “Direttore” each who didnt have that clarity of Marchione. I also get the impression that perhaps Marchione didn’t leave a clear succession plan in place. I mean I’m sure he didn’t think he’d pass away😉

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,751 Posts
I see Alfa and Maserati competing together against the likes of Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. That and its sharing platforms with other Stellantis brands gives me hope for survival.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thread sounds like it is the sequel to the very compelling The future of Alfa Romeo - from June 17, 2021 - Larry Dominique, North America Lead and its even more popular original The general "mood" around the brand
sigh…. Why eh?

If anyone thinks the current Giulia will make it past 2030, frankly they’re delusional.

Didnt expect this thread to turn into another “Stellantis” , “future of Alfa” thread. I was just wondering how many more years this car, on the current platform, will be offered for sale.

Jeeze

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why exactly?

Isn't it already abundently clear from the media statements made by Stellantis since the start of 2021 that the current Giulia's use by date is likely to be around 2024/25.

There are many articles that provide some insights to future planning. If you missed these previously then there are many like this one from Forbes which make things pretty clear. Stellantis Dumps Billion-Dollar Alfa Romeo Giorgio Platform In Favour Of EV Future

Or, perhaps I missed that point of your post being rhetorical.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Why exactly?

Isn't it already abundently clear from the media statements made by Stellantis since the start of 2021 that the current Giulia's use by date is likely to be around 2024/25.

There are many articles that provide some insights to future planning. If you missed these previously then there are many like this one from Forbes which make things pretty clear. Stellantis Dumps Billion-Dollar Alfa Romeo Giorgio Platform In Favour Of EV Future

Or, perhaps I missed that point of your post being rhetorical.
Why indeed, do people feel the need to be so defensive about the question posed in the title of this thread. The intention was not to rehash those other threads.

The overlords have mentioned that the Giulia and Stelvio will be eventually discontinued(no product lasts “forever”), but to the best of my knowledge(correct me if I'm wrong), they have not mentioned “when”, which is why i posed the question.

2027 is a ways away, will they continue to offer this car until then? Or will it be replaced sooner? Seems like a reasonable question.

It could help people who are on the fence about buying a Giulia, get an idea about how much time they might have.

PS>> For those who want to discuss Stellantis or the future of Alfa please navigate to those threads.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts

As @Silverstroke suggests we all like a good doomsday story don't we? I do think we could up the ante on the thread titles though to something like Oblivion or When Time Runs Out or The Death of the Italian.

Whether or not the following are realised is something for debate but the plan seems pretty clear for the next few years.
  • The current Giulia and Stelvio will be around until at least 2024. That year or soon after the STLA platform is ready for the next iteration of those models or their EV replacements
  • There maybe some updates to the existing product but the fundamentals of both models are not going to change
  • That means a model/platform life of about 8/9 years. This seems about right for most brands (yes other brands may have changed the models face or bum once or twice in that period, Alfa hasn't)
  • There will be some continuing product from Alfa until at least 2030 based on Travares 10 year pledge to all Stellantis brands
  • The apparent current focus on Maserati is understandable their product range is generally a year or older than Afla's
  • The Tonale is now on the road being tested Alfa Romeo Tonale Spied With Provisional Taillights and looks like it might be just a few months from European release
  • A third smaller SUV is rumoured - the Brennaro (or similar) for 2023
  • That the Cherokee L and Grecale are using the Giogio platform and will do so after the current Giogio Giulia and Stelvio are gone makes sense. If anything we should be surprised this platfrorm sharing hasn't happened sooner. If you apply the roughly 8 year model life cycle to those products they would be being phased out around 2030 which is about D day for new build ICE cars in many markets around the world
Stellantis need Alfa to be a success but as a premium value product within their portfolio of brands not as a volume seller in its own right the way Sergio Marchionne imagined it might be with 400,000+ volumes. Those are the minimum numbers for standalone brand. Alfa as part of Stellantis could be a real success producing 150,000 - 200,000 units if they are premuim priced but still affordable cars sitting between Peugoet/Opel/Citroen and Maserati in Europe and fulfilling a similar role in other markets. Under Stellantis Alfa doesn't need to compete as directly or as intensely with BMW and Merc as Sergio seemed to have imagined the Giulia/Stelvio combo might have. Alfa just needs to produce a range of compelling products that might include a future GTV, Spider or Giuletta that can appeal to people who but into the concpets of style and performance (what ever that might be in the EV context other than 2 sec 0 -60 times - quick but boring).
As long as we all agree that "... Alfa as part of Stellantis could be a real success producing 150,000 - 200,000 units ...", all this conversation would be easy. People say that to be successful, Alfa Romeo should be selling at the level of BMW/Audi/Mercedes Benz, and that is simply impossible. The best years in Alfa Romeo history have been at about 200,000 cars/yr sold and that was between 1998 and 2001 so, that's the size of this brand and will be the size of this brand for the next 110 years.

Font Number Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why indeed, do people feel the need to be so defensive about the question posed in the title of this thread.
Since you have included my quote in your response I'm presuming you think my response was defensive. Its not.

I took your Q on face value, responded and gave you some source information - which I now realise was a mistake on my part having just re-read your posts on the General Mood Around the Brand Thread which indicate you already had the answer and that your question was indeed rhetorical. My bad.

I also included some points that related to comments by others responding to your initial post.

There is plenty more on the future of Giorgio and therefore the current Giulia on the net but based on what Stellantis have said to date you have to think the current Giulia will end its run around 2024/25 but I think you already know that.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,598 Posts
I don't think it's a question of if Alfa will die, because they won't. I think the question is will they pull out of the US market, and I think/hope the answer is no.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
I dont see Alfa themselves going anywhere ,but we need is a strong dealer network, and by that I dont mean a dealer on every corner, I mean dealers that know the brand and can fix the cars.

So I think we will continue to lose more dealers in the near future, but the good ones will take up the slack.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Since you have included my quote in your response I'm presuming you think my response was defensive. Its not.

I took your Q on face value, responded and gave you some source information - which I now realise was a mistake on my part having just re-read your posts on the General Mood Around the Brand Thread which indicate you already had the answer and that your question was indeed rhetorical. My bad.

I also included some points that related to comments by others responding to your initial post.

There is plenty more on the future of Giorgio and therefore the current Giulia on the net but based on what Stellantis have said to date you have to think the current Giulia will end its run around 2024/25 but I think you already know that.
Sorry for the confusion. And for the rhetoric. To make my position clear: I think that: 1) Alfa Romeo will last 110 years more, 2) Alfa Romeo is in the US to stay and 3) Alfa Romeo is a 200,000 cars/yr brand. So, Giulia will evolve to something, and for sure will be alive after 2027.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

No worries. I think the latest for Giulia(current version) is 2027, as they have set that as their goal for full electrification. So its safe to assume anytime between now and then (5-ish years).
I do wonder if they will switch the portfolio to the new platform with a ICE/PHEV drivetrain before the full EV version, and if thats the roadmap... the change could happen sooner rather than later.

I don't think it's a question of if Alfa will die, because they won't. I think the question is will they pull out of the US market, and I think/hope the answer is no.
I think they should continue to sell the current model (with minor upgrades) in markets like N.America and Oceania(AU & NZ) for as long as possible. IMHO

1 - 20 of 63 Posts