Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alfa Romeo’s latest sedan can be a stunner even in its non-Quadrifoglio form. Joseph from CarAndDriver had a Giulia 2.0T RWD in his hands of a week and proclaimed its design a slam-dunk with fabulous handling to boot.

After sitting behind the wheel for a short time, he took note of the Giulia’s nearly ideal ride/handling balance and of the lively steering. The steering rack is perfectly weighted and communicative with just enough driver feedback. Combined with almost 50/50 weight distribution (49.8 percent front, 50.2 percent rear) and you have a graceful canyon carver in your hands.

Sure the Giulia’s turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four engine may not stand out when placed beside its QV sibling, but its 280 horsepower and 306 lb-ft of torque is still impressive. Though in a 0-60mph test, the Giulia’s time of 5.7 seconds puts it behind the Audi A4 by 0.5 seconds and the BMW 330i by 0.3. A marginal difference that may not matter to most drivers.

What may deter potential brand advocates is the lack of a manual gearbox. Controlled by large paddle shifters, only the ZF eight-speed automatic transmission is available in the States. Another concern raised was of the Giulia’s build quality. Apparently the test vehicle’s sunroof called it quits and the Bluetooth system kept disconnecting with a paired phone.

“But what Alfa’s album might lack in production quality, it makes up for with its enthralling, lively, and distinctive character.”

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,978 Posts
i like this review for a couple of reasons ... he lets a friend drive it for the first time and her reaction is she likes it instantly, and she drives a US Mustang ... i like the bonnet and side door decal job, it looks awesome

is this a member here? gday lad, from Australia, been following all your Alfa videos congrats mate nice car you have there :)
and great taste in friends lol

"she" drove my Giulia? good luck mate, "she's" loverly, both of them lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I test drove an AWD Giulia after test driving the 4 cylinder Jaguar XE (they did not have the V6 at the dealer). I was not impressed with the Jag. So, I wasn't expecting too much when I test drove the Guilia. I was like, eh, another 4 cylinder turbo. But it felt totally different and better :) (just trying to get 10 posts)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys! I’m looking to get a giulia. Will track it also I think. Was wondering if y’all think awd or rwd is best for this? I would assume awd, but read so many reviews abkut amazing handling from rwd. Also, how crucial do you think the performance package is? I’m looking for a 2017 and there aren’t many that have that option. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good luck finding any 2017's left unsold, although if you do find one they should be very heavily discounted by now. Like $14k off discounted. C&D 0-60 test results are a bit slower than lots of members here are reporting, but if that is really important to you the Q4 will be faster.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree about the handling in the 280hp. I have a 2017 Giulia Sport Q4. Where it performs best in terms of handling is on long highway sweep turns and if there are elevation changes. On tight twisty roads, the nannies slow this car down. I also have a Mark I 2005 Audi TT which is a lot of fun on twisty roads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts