Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Or, see what a JEEP-RAM Dealership is charging for an oil service. Here in PA-USA, they will perform the oil service using MOPAR 0W-30 oil and a MS-339 MOPAR filter, reset both reminders with the same WiTech tool that the Alfa Stealership uses, all for about $80 US out the door. But, @Vangiulia, to answer your original question in post #16, IMO, the API and the MS# are more important than the 0W vs 5W, as long as they are both xW-30. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Sport with trailer hitch
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

We summarized that API SN Plus certified oils were a a stopgap measure to require oils to immediately address low speed pre-ignition by reducing calcium in oils.

API SP certification then came along to cement this LSPI fighting requirement and is complimented by ilsac gf6 testing requirements as well.

Now we can likely look forward to a supplement to API SP in order to address an immediate concern that many API SN Plus and API SP oils are not protecting against LSPI for the duration of a drain interval.

An article from lubrizol may just have sparked an entirely new API SP Plus certification. See it here...

What we are likely to see now is oil formulations with very low calcium. Moderate magnesium and very low to no moly or titanium if we want to see long term lspi protection.

In essence, the testing showed oils with low calcium BUT that also contained either moly or titanium protected against lspi when new but as the engine ages they ni longer protect against lspi.

Mike

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,350 Posts
FCA Material Standard MS-13340...

This is the least of my concerns. (i.e. Padding the pocket books of FCA)

Reactions: beta2alfa

·
Registered
552 Posts
UPDATE:

We summarized that API SN Plus certified oils were a a stopgap measure to require oils to immediately address low speed pre-ignition by reducing calcium in oils.

API SP certification then came along to cement this LSPI fighting requirement and is complimented by ilsac gf6 testing requirements as well.

Now we can likely look forward to a supplement to API SP in order to address an immediate concern that many API SN Plus and API SP oils are not protecting against LSPI for the duration of a drain interval.

An article from lubrizol may just have sparked an entirely new API SP Plus certification. See it here...

What we are likely to see now is oil formulations with very low calcium. Moderate magnesium and very low to no moly or titanium if we want to see long term lspi protection.

In essence, the testing showed oils with low calcium BUT that also contained either moly or titanium protected against lspi when new but as the engine ages they ni longer protect against lspi.

Mike
This seems like a great argument for changing oil at 5k. Especially if driven like we do.

I would also like to see which of the oil formulations(only one, of the four) protected fresh and aged in the paper contained in the link you provided. What is this magic oil!? My guess is it uses Lubrizol additives. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
This seems like a great argument for changing oil at 5k. Especially if driven like we do.

I would also like to see which of the oil formulations(only one, of the four) protected fresh and aged in the paper contained in the link you provided. What is this magic oil!? My guess is it uses Lubrizol additives. :ROFLMAO:
Lol, in fairness it may be only 2k miles. I don't recall off hand what the 100 hr dyno test simulates for miles.

Off hand our m1 afe has extremely little moly and our mopar max pro has a relatively low amount. I don't believe either use "liquid titanium". Castrol does in some currently i believe.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
483 Posts
Doesn't this oil fit the bill for the 2.0 engine? I don't see many talking about this one..

Font Material property Magenta Signage Logo

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
and I remember back in the mid '60's, when I had my TR4, and used quart cans of Wolf's Head oil, the same gas station also had glass bottles of refined, used oil, just sold as "oil", without any labels as to viscosity or any other characteristic. But this was when many cars were from a decade or more earlier. Heck, my folks' neighbor drove an early '50's Plymouth. Probably worked fine. Me, for my '18 QV, I use the Pennzoil and change at about 4-5K miles. NV

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,893 Posts
I just found out yesterday this one fits the bill as well for my 2017 giulia since it is:
1. Ms-13340 or fiat 95535 gs1 approved
2. 0w-30
3. API SN

according to my owner's manual this completely ticks all the boxes.
Well that is what I thought too, but I switched to the Mopar Max Pro+ and wow the engine sounds better. SNplus did not exist when your manual was written. It is definitely better than SN.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Doesn't this oil fit the bill for the 2.0 engine? I don't see many talking about this one..

View attachment 130867
I just found out yesterday this one fits the bill as well for my 2017 giulia since it is:
1. Ms-13340 or fiat 95535 gs1 approved
2. 0w-30
3. API SN

according to my owner's manual this completely ticks all the boxes.
Well that is what I thought too, but I switched to the Mopar Max Pro+ and wow the engine sounds better. SNplus did not exist when your manual was written. It is definitely better than SN.

It does not. All online manuals have been changed to put SN Plus and SP as the bolded required oil spec. Even if you can technically "get away with it" because you're going by your paper manual which came our before SN plus or SP was even a published oil specification, id have to ask why anyone would do that?

That oil will have high calcium and will not protect against lspi. Dont go out of your way to use an inferior oil for your application (not saying motul is inferior itself but it is inferior in our engines unquestionably).

All manuals call for 0w30 and sn plus or sp. Easy peasy.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta

·
Registered
347 Posts
It does not. All online manuals have been changed to put SN Plus and SP as the bolded required oil spec. Even if you can technically "get away with it" because you're going by your paper manual which came our before SN plus or SP was even a published oil specification, id have to ask why anyone would do that?

That oil will have high calcium and will not protect against lspi. Dont go out of your way to use an inferior oil for your application (not saying motul is inferior itself but it is inferior in our engines unquestionably).

All manuals call for 0w30 and sn plus or sp. Easy peasy.

View attachment 130868
View attachment 130869
One question keep popping up in my mind, let's say API SP is the new standard against lspi, whats the ms-13340 or fiat 95535.gs1? I mean let say mobil 1 or pennzoil ultra platinum which is SP rated but doesn't come with those ms or gs1 rated. They should b safe to use?? Especially with the ultra platinum which protects against extreme performance too...

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
One question keep popping up in my mind, let's say API SP is the new standard against lspi, whats the ms-13340 or fiat 95535.gs1? I mean let say mobil 1 or pennzoil ultra platinum which is SP rated but doesn't come with those ms or gs1 rated. They should b safe to use?? Especially with the ultra platinum which protects against extreme performance too...
Chrysler and Fiat specs mean not much. There's not a single oil tested to their specs because unlike mb, bmw, vw, audi, porche, etc that actually certify oils against their standards, fiat and AR do not. Id ignore them and since the manuals only state the sn plus or sp ratings need to be followed for warranty purposes youd be fine doing so

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
It seems like the optimal oil for our Giulias is always current spec + 1.

·
Vendor
4,320 Posts
What's really interesting is that our cars to date still come filled with Patronas Selenia oil. Fuel quality plays a huge roll in LSPI. So again use good stations and if possible 93 octane>. Make sure it's a clean and busy station that get's restocked often with fresh fuel regardless of Brand. Brand really means nothing but their additive package to the base stock which is the same for every station around you.

Anyway.

I carry
Mopar (API SP)
Patronas Selenia (FACTORY FILL -ACEA C2, Fiat 9.55535 GS1 CTR F020.B12 -0W-30)
Ravenol 0W-30 (FIAT 9.55535-DS1/GS1/ACEA C2),
Ravenol 5W-30 (Specifications: API SP (RC), ILSAC GF-6A)
and Motul Oils ( that meet the specifications of your vehicle.
MOTUL AP SN through SP-RC 0W-30 and 5W-30.

Motul 5W-30 Eco-lite is a good one Same with Ravenol 5W-30. I would not fret too much on the winter number.

APPROVALS PERFORMANCES
RECOMMENDATIONS:
API SP-RC
ILSAC GF-5
GM dexos1TM GEN2 under n° D10577HI011
CHRYSLER MS-6395 FORD M2C 929-A FORD M2C 946-A, FIAT 9.55535-CR1

I do recommend changing at 4K miles in these engines (2.9 for sure).

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,350 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts