Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving a Jag XE 25 for the past day. Like the Giulia it's a rear drive 2.0 liter turbo 4 cylinder. I like it quite a bit, but it's no match for the Giulia.

The Giulia does just about everything better, it's more comfy, handles and brakes better, and it's quite a bit quicker. However, I like some things about the Jag. For example, it's easy to disable traction control or to disable start/stop. There is a button for each, and they are in logical places. The Giulia's paddle shifters and transmission action are far superior.

I was thinking about posting a drag race video, but it's pointless. If we do it, the Giulia, and especially Jordan's Giulia, which is the one we have here, will just kill the Jag.

We are thinking about putting the Jag on the dyno today to learn what sort of boost and timing values it's running to get it's 247hp. While I consider the car to be overall inferior to the Giulia, it has the advantage of being about 5k less, and I think it has pretty decent tuning potential.

Greg

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a 2017 Jag XER Sport before my 2017 Guilia. The car was a total loss when some bone head rear ended me as i sat at a complete stop on the fwy. The car had a 3.0 liter motor with a super charger. I had the ecu tune from velocity (VAP) that pushed the car to 415 HP. Car was all wheel drive. It was very fast and did handle fairly well. I like that car alot but there was no more XER Sports to replace it with. So i stopped the local Alfa dealer. Love at first sight!! Never looked back. Guilia is so much sexier. The Jag was mostly wasted in Los Angeles traffic. Giulia is more fun to drive. With help from Greg and team it seems to have similar power to the Jag anyway. The Jag stickered around $55k and my Guilia was just under $50k, so the Alfa was a better value for me even with 2 cylinders. Transmission on the Jag was the ZF 8 speed but the Giulia version is more responsive. Althought the Jag did have a setting that kept the rpm high which kept the SC spooled up which made it quick.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a great looking car. I haven't driven the V6, nor the hotter 4cyl, just the base 247 horse car. With 400+hp it would be a monster.

Greg

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's a great looking car. I haven't driven the V6, nor the hotter 4cyl, just the base 247 horse car. With 400+hp it would be a monster.

Greg
kinda apples to oranges, but I have an Fpace andd loved it. Sporty fast and probably one of the best SUVs on the market. I just don't like the design or feel of the stelvio though I have not seen or driven the QV version. But now with the Giulia. Oh man I'd prefer to drive it over my Jag. The F-Pace and 2017 XF drive **** near the same. I was going to get the jag XF, but though I'd test a Giulia....and sure enough I fell in love and never looked bakc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wanted to drive a 25t AWD but there are none available within 100 miles... Heck, there is only 1 XE AWD that any local dealer had on the lot THIS YEAR. I drove that one, it was a 30t AWD R-Sport and they hadn't even put gas in it yet (it was at 4% when I got in the car). I drove the 30t back to back with the Giulia Ti Sport Q4 with Ti Sport Performance. It wasn't even the same ballpark. I really expected more from the XE after all the rave reviews but it was more boring than my BMW, and I was looking for something that had more feedback.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
159 Posts
XE 30t is equivalent of Giulia with 280 HP engine.
Yes, but now it's not cheaper and thus not a better buy; base on an XE 30 with AWD is $44,625 and gets into the 50's pretty easy.

And then there is how the Giulia drives over the XE, much better drivers car the Giulia is. The Jag rides nice but they really aren't the same purpose. - My opinion

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Jag model designations are odd. My 3.5t was. 3.0 liter motor and I guess the new version of the XER is a 3.0 designation with a 2.5 liter motor. I think they now put the 3 liter into a XES which gets the 380 hp version of the 3 liter. The stock XER was at 345 hp i think but the ECU tune pushed it to something around 416.

Overall the Jag was more oriented towards a luxury car with sport stuff. I feel like the Giulia is more of a sprt sedan with a few luxury appointments.

Both nice cars.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
796 Posts
Q4 Ti Perf Pkg versus XE 25t and SC 30

Good topic!

In the month prior to getting my Ti Q4, I had a 5 class upgrade with my rental car company on a Bay Area trip and got the XE 2.5t for a week. SF was my old home and I took the opportunity to pound some classic drives in the 2 litre Turbo Jag: Skyline to 84 to Hwy 1, Marin Hwy 1 towards Point Reyes, and the side-road twisties that were nearby. "It's a rental" gave me the green light to (sometimes) drive it like I stole it.

Having this car for the week, right on the heels of a viewing of the Giulia in Virginia (unfortunately no test drive), gave a "fit and function" comparison that lead me to getting the Giulia three weeks later (day after the test drive ... go figure, eh!?). So my impressions, and my Giulia comparisons follow:

Both very nice cars. I would have either of them in preference to the 2017 BMW 3's, which have become "German Honda Accords" IMNSHO for their wooden feel and snoozefest of anti-excitement. Whatever happened to the Ultimate Driving Machines in non-M trims is anybody's guess. Anyway, I digress...

Fit and Finish: About a push for both cars. Italian leather can't be beat. But assembly quality and lack of sharp edges, better cup-holders, more storage is a minor win for the Jag. My Ti Q4 spec is top, while the Jag was about entry-level plus $5K, so I can't compare 18" wheels to the 19" 5 holes, etc.

Exterior: Alfa hands down! I like the XE; but, I love the Ti Q4. Exotic compared to "very nice". The Jag didn't turn a single head during the week, while I get "thumbs ups" and headlight flashes in the Giulia regularly. Wide wheel wells in the Giulia make the rear-seat-down capacity not a match for the bigger Jag trunk. Had to lower the seat-post on my Mountain bike to trunk it in the Giulia, while the Jag held a bike just fine. That's the price of having a QV chassis/wheel footprint on the stock G. Size does matter, but looks matter too!

Interior: Design of the Alfa rocks my world inside and out. I would say the Jag cockpit was "nice" with good placement and intuitive instrumentation and controls, while the Alfa looks unified, semi-minimalist and between the sweeping infotainment screen and retro-gauges/cluster, with their nod to classic Alfas and motor-racing's past, really looks like modern art. Massive win for Alfa, except for lack of Traction-control defeats. Rear seat leather is superior in the Alfa, too. Sport seats in the Ti crush the Jag seats, which were not the premium versions -- not apples to apples in that comparison.

Engine: The Jag was the first sports car with Auto Start/Stop I'd ever driven, so I was a little unsettled when the car got "real quiet" and the restarted when I lifted off of the brake. Freaked me out a couple of times when I wanted instant take-off, and didn't adjust to the delay. I ended up defeating it, early on, like I do on the Alfa. Can't remember if it stayed defeated. For me, the butt-dyno of 240hp versus 280hp gave the nod to the Jag for start to 30mph normal driving and acceleration. Anything 30-50 has a minor advantage to the Alfa. Both observations are for "non-Dynamic / non-paddle shifter / automatic" daily driving. Dynamic mode, with manual shifting, except for the launch from the line (first .5 seconds), the Giulia 2.0 turbo crushes the Jag. Anything, in N or D mode, from 50-whatever mph, Giulia feels to me like it's got another 60-80hp versus the Jag 2.0 litre turbo. Double (or triple) downshift via paddles, in Dynamic mode, and the 50-100mph process feels about twice as brisk, and like many Alfisti, I'm stunned at how quietly fast I'm going in 4-5 seconds. Driving a V6 supercharged LE last summer, I'd put the two cars on about a par in that range, despite the 60hp disadvantage of Alfa Romeo. The snarl and exhaust note of the stock XE is a bit more demure than the Alfa, while the V6 XE sounds nastier. I agree that the ZF-8 tuned for AR feels like a completely different tranny than the Jag (didn't know the Jag was a ZF, and wouldn't have suspected).

Chassis, Brakes and Suspension: Active dampeners on the AR with the BCM simply destroy the Jag in spirited driving. This is where, even in a ultra-top spec SC V6 with 20" wider rubber, etc. the Jag just can't compete. Steering response, feel and particularly turn-in on the Jag felt mushy and anonymous, while the crispness of AR, the lack of body roll and dive/squat had the Ti Q4 Sport Performance G on a completely different level. I have grown to love the Continental brake-by-wire system and in D mode can brake scary-late, with bite and modulation that is just right for a weekend warrior. Braking to a stop is still a frustrating deficiency for the Alfa, but I've learned to get it right most of the time now. The Jag brakes to stop nicely without the learning curve I had with Giulia. Carrying speed through continuous canyon driving feels effortless in the Giulia, while the Jag, particularly SC V6 at the edge, feels like work.

It is well known that the lack of ESC/TC defeat is a big miss on the AR in the non-QV trim, and hopefully rectified by tuners or the factory in pending updates. I am not in full agreement that it is a deficiency for non-track driving. Snow driving with the Ti Perf Pkg LSD and a couple of overshot corners that all ended well has made me appreciate a car correcting my mistakes. I am growing to appreciate the effective ESC system. But, what choice do I have (except the N mode only ESC/TC defeat super-secret-handshake method. nod, nod, wink, wink)?

Three weeks after I had the XE in California, I got to testdrive the Giulia on a Friday, and I leased it on Saturday. No doubts about the better car, since the XE (which was a $42K auto, versus my $51K AR) was very fresh in my mind.

When my friend Mike, the XE 35t SC owner, got to drive my car in September, he said, "I think I have a little buyer's remorse".

I'm looking forward to completing my EC Tune upgrade, hopefully later today, and adding Centerline's Corsa in April perhaps with an EC V2 Intake. I have no doubts that the car will be in the S4-killer class, and clearly superior in every way (except Infotainment) to the XE 35t Jag.

Cheers,

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good topic!

In the month prior to getting my Ti Q4, I had a 5 class upgrade with my rental car company on a Bay Area trip and got the XE 2.5t for a week. SF was my old home and I took the opportunity to pound some classic drives in the 2 litre Turbo Jag: Skyline to 84 to Hwy 1, Marin Hwy 1 towards Point Reyes, and the side-road twisties that were nearby. "It's a rental" gave me the green light to (sometimes) drive it like I stole it.

Having this car for the week, right on the heels of a viewing of the Giulia in Virginia (unfortunately no test drive), gave a "fit and function" comparison that lead me to getting the Giulia three weeks later (day after the test drive ... go figure, eh!?). So my impressions, and my Giulia comparisons follow:

Both very nice cars. I would have either of them in preference to the 2017 BMW 3's, which have become "German Honda Accords" IMNSHO for their wooden feel and snoozefest of anti-excitement. Whatever happened to the Ultimate Driving Machines in non-M trims is anybody's guess. Anyway, I digress...

Fit and Finish: About a push for both cars. Italian leather can't be beat. But assembly quality and lack of sharp edges, better cup-holders, more storage is a minor win for the Jag. My Ti Q4 spec is top, while the Jag was about entry-level plus $5K, so I can't compare 18" wheels to the 19" 5 holes, etc.

Exterior: Alfa hands down! I like the XE; but, I love the Ti Q4. Exotic compared to "very nice". The Jag didn't turn a single head during the week, while I get "thumbs ups" and headlight flashes in the Giulia regularly. Wide wheel wells in the Giulia make the rear-seat-down capacity not a match for the bigger Jag trunk. Had to lower the seat-post on my Mountain bike to trunk it in the Giulia, while the Jag held a bike just fine. That's the price of having a QV chassis/wheel footprint on the stock G. Size does matter, but looks matter too!

Interior: Design of the Alfa rocks my world inside and out. I would say the Jag cockpit was "nice" with good placement and intuitive instrumentation and controls, while the Alfa looks unified, semi-minimalist and between the sweeping infotainment screen and retro-gauges/cluster, with their nod to classic Alfas and motor-racing's past, really looks like modern art. Massive win for Alfa, except for lack of Traction-control defeats. Rear seat leather is superior in the Alfa, too. Sport seats in the Ti crush the Jag seats, which were not the premium versions -- not apples to apples in that comparison.

Engine: The Jag was the first sports car with Auto Start/Stop I'd ever driven, so I was a little unsettled when the car got "real quiet" and the restarted when I lifted off of the brake. Freaked me out a couple of times when I wanted instant take-off, and didn't adjust to the delay. I ended up defeating it, early on, like I do on the Alfa. Can't remember if it stayed defeated. For me, the butt-dyno of 240hp versus 280hp gave the nod to the Jag for start to 30mph normal driving and acceleration. Anything 30-50 has a minor advantage to the Alfa. Both observations are for "non-Dynamic / non-paddle shifter / automatic" daily driving. Dynamic mode, with manual shifting, except for the launch from the line (first .5 seconds), the Giulia 2.0 turbo crushes the Jag. Anything, in N or D mode, from 50-whatever mph, Giulia feels to me like it's got another 60-80hp versus the Jag 2.0 litre turbo. Double (or triple) downshift via paddles, in Dynamic mode, and the 50-100mph process feels about twice as brisk, and like many Alfisti, I'm stunned at how quietly fast I'm going in 4-5 seconds. Driving a V6 supercharged LE last summer, I'd put the two cars on about a par in that range, despite the 60hp disadvantage of Alfa Romeo. The snarl and exhaust note of the stock XE is a bit more demure than the Alfa, while the V6 XE sounds nastier. I agree that the ZF-8 tuned for AR feels like a completely different tranny than the Jag (didn't know the Jag was a ZF, and wouldn't have suspected).

Chassis, Brakes and Suspension: Active dampeners on the AR with the BCM simply destroy the Jag in spirited driving. This is where, even in a ultra-top spec SC V6 with 20" wider rubber, etc. the Jag just can't compete. Steering response, feel and particularly turn-in on the Jag felt mushy and anonymous, while the crispness of AR, the lack of body roll and dive/squat had the Ti Q4 Sport Performance G on a completely different level. I have grown to love the Continental brake-by-wire system and in D mode can brake scary-late, with bite and modulation that is just right for a weekend warrior. Braking to a stop is still a frustrating deficiency for the Alfa, but I've learned to get it right most of the time now. The Jag brakes to stop nicely without the learning curve I had with Giulia. Carrying speed through continuous canyon driving feels effortless in the Giulia, while the Jag, particularly SC V6 at the edge, feels like work.

It is well known that the lack of ESC/TC defeat is a big miss on the AR in the non-QV trim, and hopefully rectified by tuners or the factory in pending updates. I am not in full agreement that it is a deficiency for non-track driving. Snow driving with the Ti Perf Pkg LSD and a couple of overshot corners that all ended well has made me appreciate a car correcting my mistakes. I am growing to appreciate the effective ESC system. But, what choice do I have (except the N mode only ESC/TC defeat super-secret-handshake method. nod, nod, wink, wink)?

Three weeks after I had the XE in California, I got to testdrive the Giulia on a Friday, and I leased it on Saturday. No doubts about the better car, since the XE (which was a $42K auto, versus my $51K AR) was very fresh in my mind.

When my friend Mike, the XE 35t SC owner, got to drive my car in September, he said, "I think I have a little buyer's remorse".

I'm looking forward to completing my EC Tune upgrade, hopefully later today, and adding Centerline's Corsa in April perhaps with an EC V2 Intake. I have no doubts that the car will be in the S4-killer class, and clearly superior in every way (except Infotainment) to the XE 35t Jag.

Cheers,
Great write up. I agree with most of your points. I rarely if ever had anyone commemt on my Jag realtive to the looks. The Alfa is a constant source of compliments.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would say that if I didn't get the Giulia I probably would have strongly considered the Jaguar.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Never looked back

Good topic!

Cheers,
In late fall 2016, I was invited to a Jaguar XE unveiling event. It was first class all the way. Tons of fun perks and freebies, and a chance to drive the car around Chicago and on a test track. I came away impressed and planning to lease an XE as soon as my Audi lease came up in the summer of 2017.

And then I saw a Giulia at the Chicago Auto Show!

I went to a dealership that had both Giulias and Jaguars (lucky for me!) and drove them back to back. It was no comparison. The Giulia blew it away. I was already sold, but the final nail in the coffin for me was the rear seat (or lack there of) of the XE. The Giulia is by no means spacious, but when I positioned the driver's seat in the XE to where I liked it, it practically touched the back seat.

When it came time to lease, I was tempted to look again at the XE because they were offering 62% residual rates on 2017s due to some major changes coming in the 2018s. But I loved the Alfa so much, I bit the bullet on the crappy 51% residual, and have never looked back.

Reactions: Tyresian
1 - 12 of 12 Posts