• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia 2019, Ti Sport Perf Package
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside paint detail? Done.. Now the endless question in my mind .....is it safe to Wash/clean the engine bay as Griot’s Garage and other people suggest using a pressure washer? What is your experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have done it with my past two cars. Do NOT use a pressure washer (or from a very far distance). Just a gentle stream of water.

I use Sonax engine cleaner and some small brushes.

I like to do it every six months to keep tabs on leaks.

Here is a good video on autogeek. Remember to cover the alternator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done it with my past two cars. Do NOT use a pressure washer (or from a very far distance). Just a gentle stream of water.

I use Sonax engine cleaner and some small brushes.

I like to do it every six months to keep tabs on leaks.

Here is a good video on autogeek. Remember to cover the alternator.

Thanks. Great video and great advice.

·
Registered
878 Posts
For years, I have done a very quick pass of pressure washer soap & water to the whole engine and engine bay (not pointing directly to anything) and there have been never problems. I do it every time that I was the car, which is normally weekly ($2.00 DIY car wash touchless presure washer), even during winter only when temp is above 35F. The engine and engine bay looks always clean and again, no issues. I assume that it is very similar to what happens when it rains but with clean water and soap. So, I Vote YES !

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
For the 45 years or so I’ve been driving I’ve never felt the need to wash an engine. I do vacuum out the leaves and pine straw that might collect and obstruct the drains.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why would you want to do it? It should never be that dirty or oil splatter everywhere unless you have some major issues with oil leaks.
I can understands some dirt, dust and leaves might get in the bay but that would not require a wash, rather vacuum and wipe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the 45 years or so I’ve been driving I’ve never felt the need to wash an engine. I do vacuum out the leaves and pine straw that might collect and obstruct the drains.
Thanks for your share.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For years, I have done a very quick pass of pressure washer soap & water to the whole engine and engine bay (not pointing directly to anything) and there have been never problems. I do it every time that I was the car, which is normally weekly ($2.00 DIY car wash touchless presure washer), even during winter only when temp is above 35F. The engine and engine bay looks always clean and again, no issues. I assume that it is very similar to what happens when it rains but with clean water and soap. So, I Vote YES !
Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A pressure washer can and should be used for proper cleaning. Ideally do not shoot directly into the alternator. A proper air gunning will be required to dry everything and blow out the water from all the crevices and sensor plugs. For everyone worried about killing your engine, feel free to experiment and unplug all connectors to see seals in everything to prevent water penetration. Also the coil packs have thick seals and water won’t get into your plugs.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The weather pack seals that are on the connectors in the engine bay are not designed to stop pressurized water from entering the connectors.... if you're going to use pressure washer be very careful around all of the connectors or I guarantee you you will have problems down the road

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The weather pack seals that are on the connectors in the engine bay are not designed to stop pressurized water from entering the connectors.... if you're going to use pressure washer be very careful around all of the connectors or I guarantee you you will have problems down the road
Exactly this and also it is not akin to driving in the rain. There are water drian channels in all cars to divert rain water down to the floor. In the RHD market there has been water ingress into the 2nd ECU located under the windscreen drain scuttle caused by rainwater dripping directly on to the ECU connector resulting in misfires, check engine light and corrosion of the connector pins. This is only in the RHD market when Alfa mirrored the scuttle and drain hole aligned directly on top of the ECU in the Quadrifoglio..Fixed now with a different design.

The point is the various connectors are not that water proof, especially with pressurised water. I detail the engine bay with a dedicated spray bottle on the plastic and metal bits carefully wiping everything with a microfiber cloth straight away once every few weeks. It looks like this now after 3 years. Never been pressure washed. I don't see any need to pressure wash. Be very careful especially on a QV.

20200520_203453.jpg

·
Registered
403 Posts
Long decades ago, when I would try to carefully hose down my English sports cars' motors, they usually would not start afterwords. Back then there weren't weather resistant connectors or spark plug wires, so I would put a fan over the motor, spray WD 48 on things, and in time, would be running again. Now, for our cars, I just wipe down what looks dusty, and let it go at that. For some of the greasy spots on my motors, I will use a little engine cleaner, and drizzle a little water only there. Just being cautious . NV

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A pressure washer can and should be used for proper cleaning. Ideally do not shoot directly into the alternator. A proper air gunning will be required to dry everything and blow out the water from all the crevices and sensor plugs. For everyone worried about killing your engine, feel free to experiment and unplug all connectors to see seals in everything to prevent water penetration. Also the coil packs have thick seals and water won’t get into your plugs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Long decades ago, when I would try to carefully hose down my English sports cars' motors, they usually would not start afterwords. Back then there weren't weather resistant connectors or spark plug wires, so I would put a fan over the motor, spray WD 48 on things, and in time, would be running again. Now, for our cars, I just wipe down what looks dusty, and let it go at that. For some of the greasy spots on my motors, I will use a little engine cleaner, and drizzle a little water only there. Just being cautious . NV
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly this and also it is not akin to driving in the rain. There are water drian channels in all cars to divert rain water down to the floor. In the RHD market there has been water ingress into the 2nd ECU located under the windscreen drain scuttle caused by rainwater dripping directly on to the ECU connector resulting in misfires, check engine light and corrosion of the connector pins. This is only in the RHD market when Alfa mirrored the scuttle and drain hole aligned directly on top of the ECU in the Quadrifoglio..Fixed now with a different design.

The point is the various connectors are not that water proof, especially with pressurised water. I detail the engine bay with a dedicated spray bottle on the plastic and metal bits carefully wiping everything with a microfiber cloth straight away once every few weeks. It looks like this now after 3 years. Never been pressure washed. I don't see any need to pressure wash. Be very careful especially on a QV.

View attachment 99070
Thanks. looks very good.

·
Registered
369 Posts

View attachment 99070
Good advice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts