Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you may know, GiroDisc has been making a steel rotor ring replacement for some time now, for the QV models equipped with the upgraded CCM brake package. They just recently started shipping their OEM replacement 2 piece front and rear rotor sets for the std Brembo equipped QV models with iron co-cast rotor brake setups! I have a full set on the way along with their S/S pads all around. Looking forward to finally ditching the co-cast setup and OE dusty pads. Wheel cleaning won't be as frequent anymore!!! The S/S pads have minimal dust and a stronger initial bite when compared to the OEM brembo compound, just in case anyone was wondering. (

"The Girodisc S/S or "street/strip" pads represent the ultimate in high performance brake pads. The semi-metallic compound maintains a consistent coefficient of friction from 0 to 1000 degrees making them an ideal option for people that are looking for a dual purpose pad that will work well on both the street and the race track. The formula has very little compressibility ensuring a very firm pedal and immediate bite which has made the S/S pads a favorite among people who autocross and those who demand the most out of their street cars. Inevitably these will dust more than our Magic pads however with the addition of our anti-noise shims that come on every set of pads they will not make any noise if they are bed in properly. "

My company, Demon Performance, has been dealing with GiroDisc for several years for our HEMI platform line up of 2 piece front and rear rotors (HellCat/RedEye/newer SRT cars/Trackhawk Jeep/Jeep SRT8/Durango SRT8/Dodge Demon). We've probably sold 300 sets in the past few years, so I can assure you these will be amazing! I'll keep you guys in the loop when they arrive and post up some pics of them. The front and rear sets are both $1200 per axle, so $2400 all around. The S/S pads are $250 for the front axle set and $200 for the rear axle set. Future rotor replacements will be about half price as all you'll need to buy is the rotor ring replacement kits when worn down! I'm so stoked for these!!!

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,008 Posts
So as some of you may know, GiroDisc has been making a steel rotor ring replacement for some time now, for the QV models equipped with the upgraded CCM brake package. They just recently started shipping their OEM replacement 2 piece front and rear rotor sets for the std Brembo equipped QV models with iron co-cast rotor brake setups! I have a full set on the way along with their S/S pads all around. Looking forward to finally ditching the co-cast setup and OE dusty pads. Wheel cleaning won't be as frequent anymore!!! The S/S pads have minimal dust and a stronger initial bite when compared to the OEM brembo compound, just in case anyone was wondering. (

"The Girodisc S/S or "street/strip" pads represent the ultimate in high performance brake pads. The semi-metallic compound maintains a consistent coefficient of friction from 0 to 1000 degrees making them an ideal option for people that are looking for a dual purpose pad that will work well on both the street and the race track. The formula has very little compressibility ensuring a very firm pedal and immediate bite which has made the S/S pads a favorite among people who autocross and those who demand the most out of their street cars. Inevitably these will dust more than our Magic pads however with the addition of our anti-noise shims that come on every set of pads they will not make any noise if they are bed in properly. "

My company, Demon Performance, has been dealing with GiroDisc for several years for our HEMI platform line up of 2 piece front and rear rotors (HellCat/RedEye/newer SRT cars/Trackhawk Jeep/Jeep SRT8/Durango SRT8/Dodge Demon). We've probably sold 300 sets in the past few years, so I can assure you these will be amazing! I'll keep you guys in the loop when they arrive and post up some pics of them. The front and rear sets are both $1200 per axle, so $2400 all around. The S/S pads are $250 for the front axle set and $200 for the rear axle set. Future rotor replacements will be about half price as all you'll need to buy is the rotor ring replacement kits when worn down! I'm so stoked for these!!!
@Call me Al has the CCB setup and LOVES it. It's nice to see they are branching out. maybe they'll start offering something for the non-QV folks like me.

Reactions: stocki

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
1,144 Posts
So has anyone confirmed that the replacements for the NON-CCB are superior to stock rotors? ie will you still melt them on a track day?

·
Registered
780 Posts
So has anyone confirmed that the replacements for the NON-CCB are superior to stock rotors? ie will you still melt them on a track day?
This is what I would love to know, as I’m looking for options with which to outfit the NRING before spring hits. If the iron replacements don’t work I may look into possibilities for installing the girodisc CCB replacements in place of the OEM irons (this has to be possible with new calipers).

·
Registered
780 Posts
FYI - I received this really helpful email from Girodisc in response to an inquiry:

"Hello and thank you for getting in touch, I have to apologize for the delay we somehow missed your email yesterday. At any rate we did come out with our CCM to iron conversion for these cars some time before our set up for the OEM iron cars so there isn’t as many people talking about them but we’ve done just over 10 cars now, most of which are being tracked heavily and everyone loves the set up.

Our rotors for the CCM vs Iron are very similar with the OEM iron set up being a little smaller in both diameter and thickness making them a few lbs. lighter. In order to run our CCM size rotors you would need the specific CCM calipers as well. In my opinion there is no benefit to doing so, the very slight increase in mass/thermal capacity of the CCM set up means that the pads and rotors might last a minuscule amount longer, like 2-3%. Using the same pad with either set up will net the same performance, you would not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions, thanks! "

·
Vendor
4,084 Posts
How much does Alfa charge for new rotors and pads? Would this replacement (standard brakes) compare cost-wise?
Depends on the dealer but Giro are : Rotors are $1200 Per pair. Front/Rear

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I'm swapping my CCM pads and rotors for the Girodisc setup.

I know the annulus for the front Girodisc is not as tall as the stock CCM front rotor, therefore I need to order a brake pad for a Nissan GT-R. But, what about for the rear Girodisc CCM rotor swap???

What rear pad do I use (from what car?) What's the rear pad shape # to use on the rear Girodisc CCM rotor?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have installed the Girodiscs on my MY17 Guilia QV. Replaced the front pads with HP Street HP 5.0 but kept a new set of OEM pads on the back. Love the new set up. Great performance from cold, no more squealling and fronts have no brake dust.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have installed the Girodiscs on my MY17 Guilia QV. Replaced the front pads with HP Street HP 5.0 but kept a new set of OEM pads on the back. Love the new set up. Great performance from cold, no more squealling and fronts have no brake dust.
Hey John, where did you source the Girodiscs and pads? Cost in Australia?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scuderia Autoart in Artarmon Sydney is the Australian stockist for Girodisc. Took about 3 weeks for delivery. Front & Rear rotor sets were about A$4700, but it will be a lot cheaper next time as you only have to replace the rings and keep the Aluminium hats. Eurocompulsion supplied the pads and were great. They shipped via UPS and arrived in about 2 weeks. All up they were A$1k. Had it all installed by a local mechanic for $450 and used Motul 660 brake fluid. So complete brake change for A$6200. Doubt a dealer would be anywhere near that and the result is a huge improvement. Only downside is the Hawk HP Street 5.0 front pads
don't have the connection for the brake pad wear warning system. Autofanatic has a great YouTube video on the pads though and he is spot on IMO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts