Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I'd read about the Giulia in magazines and online, I honestly was not prepared for how much I loved driving the thing when I tested one last weekend - steering feel was unlike any sedan I've ever driven, the ride was a revelation (worlds better than my GTI), the styling somehow looks better in person. I now basically have a crush on this car and am trying to figure out how to make it work when my lease is up in a couple of months.

BUT... there's the obvious reliability issue. I didn't trust VWs when I got mine, but figured by leasing I could limit the downside, and hey, worst-case scenario, it's a $30k car at worst. But leases on the Giulia are sky-high compared to similarly-MSRP'd competitors, meaning that buying is probably a better option, so I'm committing myself long-term.

My questions for the board are: how did you all get comfortable with the horror stories in the car magazines, and how has it played out for you? Have the 2018s done better than the 2017s, or the 2017s done better than the rep they were getting when press cars were fritzing out? And how much luck have people had with the Giulia as a daily driver (either you personally, or a general sense of the community on the board)?

For what it's worth, looking at a Ti, maybe sport maybe not, likely AWD because that's all that dealers stock around here. We're a two-car household but I don't want to be in a position of asking my wife to drive me to work when my baby's in the shop. Oh, and the second choice is either a (likely used) M235i or a Chevy Bolt (leased, with the intent of replacing it with a Tesla model 3 when they become more available a few years out).

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So here's the deal...."the obvious reliability issue"....I think this statement is more applicable to the unsuspecting subject that purchased a 997.1 911 when they were suckered into buying a car with an IMS bearing that was bound to "explode" without any warning and require the complete replacement of that wonderful German masterpiece of an engine....Or what about the poor soul that purchased an E 46 M 3 only to discover that he would encounter a subframe crack that "the Ultimate Driving Machine's" warranty would not cover....or perhaps the even more unfortunate BMW owner whose own fuel pump would self ignite his "Ultimate Driving Machine" into a bonfire like inferno right in front of his eyes !!!

But how can that be you ask, those cars are German...They've got UBER QUALITY !!!!

What they've got is a gullible, brain washed public , that have bought the Madison Avenue Marketing hook, line, and sinker....

Son, this is a 4 Door Ferrari....new from the ground up....Best in class chassis, engines, suspension, steering, etc, etc, etc.....I would be more concerned about those other guys than this Giulia....Peace

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got a great lease deal with low money factor and negotiated over $5k in savings from cash back and discount off msrp. Find a dealer who is willing to deal a good lease if possible.

Cars like the giulia nowadays are rolling computers. They have so many lines of code that bugs need to be fixed. My car spent 3 days at the dealer for minor issues and I got a loaner car from the dealer.

They fixed a lot of software related issues or bad sensors that the car review guys experienced. You could say the car was in beta at that time and now the bugs have been mostly fixed.

I love the giulia as a fun, sporty but comfortable, commuter car. I don't think it's any less reliable than the Germans at this point.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is a well framed question and this is the right forum to answer it since it consists of actual owners. I would also like to know how people's first hand experiences have been.

I don't trust reviews as so many journalists can't resist inserting an angle to their reporting and the edgier and more headline-grabbing the better. But to he honest, it's less than helpful if the only response here is equally emotive in the other direction.

Can we just have a factual response or two without the snark? It would be helpful indeed to those of us wavering between the known (in my case Porsche) and the unknown.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Follow this poor guy's experience with a "Bulletproof" Porsche....

Poor guy....

Reactions: Hofstra14

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It is a well framed question and this is the right forum to answer it since it consists of actual owners. I would also like to know how people's first hand experiences have been.

I don't trust reviews as so many journalists can't resist inserting an angle to their reporting and the edgier and more headline-grabbing the better. But to he honest, it's less than helpful if the only response here is equally emotive in the other direction.

Can we just have a factual response or two without the snark? It would be helpful indeed to those of us wavering between the known (in my case Porsche) and the unknown.
7000 miles on my Quadrifoglio.....PERFECTION....actual owner....no snark :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im not even concerned about the the computer glitches. I'm more concerned about the insanely frequent accessory belt service intervals reminiscent of the 164.... Even with the TI models. And that 4 cyl is supposed to be in FCA's mass market products. Im just waiting for a mechanics input on the intervals the longer these are on the road. On the good side, though, if that belt goes bad, the engine won't be toast like on the 164.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i bought a QV as my extra car, so i am not relying on it to get me to and from work on a daily basis.

that being said, from what i've read on the board, the alfa dealers seem good about giving out loaners when cars are broken. knowing that, even if my car is broken, as long as i have a loaner for transportation needs, that's all that matters. after 10 years of porsche ownership, i was always given a loaner if i requested one, so i never really cared how long my repairs/service took.

i do believe the early MY 2017 cars had some software glitches, but have mostly been corrected.

at the end of the day, i felt like the car was amazing enough that i would take the plunge. my wife on the other hand...doesn't think we need the extra car.

speaking of tesla, i know a few people that have them. their reliability is questionable as well. but their owners think they're worth it, irregardless of any inconvenience.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Daily driving my QV, 4k miles, zero issues (well ok, the fuel door lid is warped, but that's cosmetic). I convinced myself that I could end up with a lemon no matter who the manufacturer was, so I might as well go with the best in class. If it breaks down, I have a warranty and the dealership has loaners.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
One of my favorite surveys...:wink2:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
".....Can we just have a factual response...." by the way, Simeythelimey,

IMS bearing failures, subframe cracks, and bad fuel pumps are all "Factual"...I

didn't make them up.....Don't drink the Kool Aid....:grin2:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts
I admit I just jumped in. So far, so good. Great, actually. Of course I can't discount the possibility that I simply got a "good one".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this same issue too. I'm interested in trading in my RS5 for the QV, but past Alfa history has me a little worried. Also, concerned about how fast depreciation is on the QV. I know cars are not appreciating assets, but having it hold its value rather high always makes me feel better when I want to sell it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
For my 2 cents, my Ti q4 sport is sweet. The things now which would be ‘wrong’ are mostly getting to know the car’s attributes and actual operating conditions. Of course I hope the ACP actually gets resolved in our favor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had my TI RWD since June. Have 12000 miles on it and have 0 problems. It is my daily driver ( retired-play golf 4-5 times/week) Drive over Santa Cruz Mtns (Ca) and it handles beautifully. Averaging 29-30mpg. Dislikes- stop n go is a pain but I got used to turning it off as soon as I started up, am not completely sold on run flat tires but am getting used to them. Overall, ecstatic about the vehicle.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Oh, and the second choice is either a (likely used) M235i or a Chevy Bolt (leased, with the intent of replacing it with a Tesla model 3 when they become more available a few years out).
I sold my m235i to get a QV. There's no comparison there - The QV is a much better car overall. Would I have traded it for a TI Sport?...not right away, maybe after the warranty on the BMW expired ;) If I was in your position, I'd pick the TI Sport.
I have 1500 miles on my 2018 QV - no problems.
BTW, my Dad just bought a Bolt. He loves it, but it's in a totally different category.

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Got a deal on a beautiful 2017 Ti Q4 with just about every option except the high performance headlights (which I've basically fixed by upgrading the bulbs). This car is an Italian masterpiece. If Leonardo DaVinci and Michelangelo were alive today and teamed up to design a car, this would be it. I bought mine in September and since this is my first Italian car, and I'd heard and read the stories about Alfa reliability, I also bought the extended 8 year warranty just in case.

It's my daily driver and so far it's been a dream car. I've driven it in snow, ice, rain and nothing upsets it. My driving is pretty much all stop-n-go city driving, and it's transformed my commute to work and back into something I actually enjoy now. Don't worry about the AWD. They've done a terrific job of making it transparent; it automatically works when/if it's needed, otherwise it's a RWD car. You don't have to do a thing except drive it. It's been completely reliable. Whatever problems the early production models had that the reviewers wrote about, were software issues that they fixed with updates. Mine has never had any of those problems. I bought it in September after doing a test drive, and it's been hands-down the best car I've ever owned or driven. Which is saying something since I've been buying and driving cars for over 45 years.

Like others have said, I too find myself stopping and turning around to look at it a few moments in the parking lot at work when I arrive, and it puts a smile on my face when I'm going home as I walk out to it after work. She's a keeper. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a Q4 Ti Lusso with Performance Pack. 3000 miles in 2 months. Zero issues. Love the car. Only minor thing - waiting for CarPlay. Other than that it has exceeded my every hope and I had serious concerns about quality, but then I had very little knowledge of Alfa. The more I learn the more I see Alfa as one of the pioneering automotive giants - not a company riddled with quality problems.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts