Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All.
I am probably going to buy a new Giulia QV "Blanco trofeo". This is the color i was looking for an can't wait to see in person.
Should I get a PPF for the car? What is the approx cost if i want to get a full coat (should I go for a full coat)?

I live in Spain, so my car will be a EU spec car, if anyone from Europe can give me a price idea it will be great.

If only people from U.S. then USD price should also be good.

Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have been building my knowledge on what should be done after taking delivery (something more people should do) and found that Larry from Ammo NYC sets the ground work for understanding PPF in the video below, this will be a good place to start and just takes 15 minutes of your time...

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Am having a paint correction done on my RC next week will post pictures
Oops my mistake your asking about filming protection
Not sure about that yet have never done it

·
Registered
27 Posts
I looked at a few places in the Chicagoland Area during my quest to get out Giulia Q. I'll reference one shop as "Shop #1" and the other as "Shop #2".

You'll find different pricing but I received a quote for $6,000+ USD for the whole car from Shop #1. Thats without any nice protective coating such as 22PLE or OptiCoat. But, through Shop #2, I recieved a quote of roughly $4,000ish USD for a full Xpel wrap, $550 USD for detailing and coating, and $400 ish for tinting. Shop #2 offered alot more in terms of services but charged wayyyy less. Now that the car is wrapped, it's great being able to no worry that zippers, buttoms, loose jewlery, keys etc will scatch the cars paint. Plus, with the protective coating, dirt, brake dust, etc washes off with ease. All in all the full wrap offers great piece of mind. BUT a full front clip wrap would more than likley be suffice for someone who doesn't want rock chips from highway driving but isn't too worried about other potential dangers. Also the front clip wrap will cost around a third of a full PPF wrap.

In conclusion, you'll have to look around for a shop that offers quality work but doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
We got the front bumper, hood, fenders, and rocker panels done for ~$2,200. The installer hadn't done a Giulia before and spent a solid 3 days on the job. He also threw in a few freebies such as the rear valance behind the wheels, the door handle pockets, the mirrors, and the area below the trunk lid.

He is an Xpel installer but advised us to use a new film by STEK Automotive. We will see how it holds up but it looks great so far. It seems to have good gloss.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The minimum price for the partial hood, headlights, partial fenders, rocker panels and trunk scuff area is around $1450 USD (no paint correction). Paint correction and PPF over $2k USD.

Paint correction prior to the application is of paramount importance. A good installer will NOT install PPF over damaged, pitted, or scratched paint. Why? The paint imperfections lead to premature lifting of the film plastic. It might take years, however, paint imperfections WILL cause lifting and discoloration. It is not a question of "if" but "when".

High-end PPF installers will include a mandatory paint correction process within their price. For a new car, expect the correction to be in the neighborhood of $1,000 USD if all of the aforementioned areas are to be coated with film.

My Quadrifoglio was the 2nd one done in the USA (1st was in San Antonio) and we added the leading edge of the rear fender area to the XPEL library. In looking at these cars it is easy to see that front tire debris can easily ding the leading edge of the rear fender. Keep in mind that these cars are delivered with 60 treadwear tires which are like bubble gum and pick up and throw pebbles continuosly moreso than a regular Z-rated tire.

My installer routinely does work on Ferrari, Lamborghini, McClaren, etc. His reputation is impeccable. When I arrived to pick up my car, he was doing a consultation for a guy who also had a brand new car. The "mobile" PPF installer did a horrible job on his car. I took a look at it with them and it was horrid. Visible fingerprints under the plastic. Ouch. The only thing to do is rip it all off. Correct the paint again. Then, reapply the PPF again.

Do not use a mobile installer is the short story. The pro's have sterile permanent garage space that is well-lit with infrared heat lamps (for curing) and adequate paint correction equipment in-house.

My guy is in the Philadelphia region if anyone is looking for a referral.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chicago Xpel

For the QV: Detail, full Xpel wrap, ceramic topcoat and five window tint for just under $5000 US.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just had CeramicPro installed. 4 coats entire car plus interior protection. About 3,500. In Evanston, IL

Looks great. But my mom understanding is that the CeramicPro will not protect from the larger rocks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Just wanted to know more about:
1. In your opinion and experience, what's the best brand for PPF? (Living in a sunny country).
2. Washing a PPF car is simple just like washing any car? Can you put it to a machine car wash? Use high pressure washers?
Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Best brand is really subjective to what you like and what you need and what not. Some people will say Xpel Ultimate is too much money and not worth it, but I disagree.

You'll treat the PPF just as if it wasn't there. Maintain proper washing techniques, You can go through touchless car washes no problem, and you can use a high pressure washer without issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks KlassyPete2.

How would you compare Xpel to 3M? I read somewhere that 3M is also a "top" brand. I think they both cost about the same, so what would you say is the best option?

I just hope I can fine a good installer here. Over there in the US it seems easy, but here it's not that common.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Had Xpel Ultimate installed on the full nose, grill surround, hood, front fenders, mirrors, side skirts, full rear bumper for $2,700 cash. Took less than a day including all the prep and some sort of full car silica coating. Was not a ceramic coating but a lesser protective coating they threw in to provide a better finished product since they are using my car in their ads going foward and putting a walk around video on their website when fully edited.

Nice shop in Andover, MA (Auto Elegance...ask for Will). PM me if you decide use them as you will save a bit on the job and put me in their good graces for future jobs.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks KlassyPete2.

How would you compare Xpel to 3M? I read somewhere that 3M is also a "top" brand. I think they both cost about the same, so what would you say is the best option?

I just hope I can fine a good installer here. Over there in the US it seems easy, but here it's not that common.
3M is really good, perhaps adequate, but the Xpel is actually better, but much more expensive. Gauge the value to you personally by your intended car holding period and budget. You can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
3M is really good, perhaps adequate, but the Xpel is actually better, but much more expensive. Gauge the value to you personally by your intended car holding period and budget. You can't go wrong either way.
going to Detailer's Domain next Monday to see about a paint correction and I will ask him about what he uses 3M or Xpel....
even though I drive my cars (not garage queens in the least) I am OCD when it comes to their appearance/maintenance/performance...
they came recommended to me by people on the F80 M3 forum so I will speak with the fellow (Phil) and check out their facility...
let you NY/NJ/CT guys know about costs and general impressions...
Regards
M

·
Registered
576 Posts
going to Detailer's Domain next Monday to see about a paint correction and I will ask him about what he uses 3M or Xpel....
even though I drive my cars (not garage queens in the least) I am OCD when it comes to their appearance/maintenance/performance...
they came recommended to me by people on the F80 M3 forum so I will speak with the fellow (Phil) and check out their facility...
Regards
M
Detailer's Domain has quite a reputation. I think they restored an old navy blue Mercedes 6.3 Sedan and the results were stunning. I bet they have the video on their website. I bought a professional steam cleaner ($$$$) because of their restoration video.

Reactions: kanundrum

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Detailer's Domain has quite a reputation. I think they restored an old navy blue Mercedes 6.3 Sedan and the results were stunning. I bet they have the video on their website. I bought a professional steam cleaner ($$$$) because of their restoration video.
good to know this will be my first experience with them....my old detail guy is un-obtainium now...though Kanundrum managed to snag him!

·
Registered
103 Posts
HI All.
I am probably going to buy a new Giulia QV "Blanco trofeo". This is the color i was looking for an can't wait to see in person.
Should I get a PPF for the car? What is the approx cost if i want to get a full coat (should I go for a full coat)?

I live in Spain, so my car will be a EU spec car, if anyone from Europe can give me a price idea it will be great.

If only people from U.S. then USD price should also be good.

Thanks.
anybody did or planning to do a small pattern on both sides of rear bumper for rock chips?
i got couple quotes for full front bumper+both fenders +hood +both mirror caps around 1400. live in columbus ohio. sound relative right?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
That's a decent price. Similar cost for mine.

We added the leading edge of the rear wheel wheel wells just behind the rear doors. It is easy to see that the rear of the car widens just a bit and the front tires will be slinging rock chips down that way. Thought it best to add those areas as a result.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Regards
M

Good friend of Phils. Tell him Sapan Says Hi. I just talked to him last week :)

P.S. Expect to pay boku money (Pricing about 4 to 5k for things).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts