Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at adding a gauge to the car. Trying to brainstorm ideas of where to put the gauge. I'm a maker so I've got a 3d printer that I'd be using to prototype and create a really purpose built pod, something that will not look too aftermarket.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Boost gauge ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have reached out to aeroforce. They think their gauge for the 500 Abarth may work. Would be nice to have a scan gauge for all the stuff Alfa doesn't show us. Those gauges also have 2 inputs so you can add your own sensors for things they aren't currently feeding to the ECU(or that we can get access to).

I do like pillar pods. Only problem is to make it look good you have to replace the entire pillar cover which is fairly large for 3d printing.

I really love the idea of a vent pod with that already circular whole. I had a vent pod in my older Challenger with and aeroforce interceptor gauge fed right down to the OBD2 port.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What about the empty space between the Speedo and 8.8” entertainment lcd? There’s lots of empty black glass space for a gauge.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
What about the empty space between the Speedo and 8.8” entertainment lcd? There’s lots of empty black glass space for a gauge.
What is behind that "glass"? I would be surprised if it is open. If it is open that certainly would be a good place for gauges, especially since the dark glass would hide any styling differences between AR's work and the market available gauges. Don't forget, one forum member managed to crack the glass with a suction cup phone mount; it is fragile.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of blank space near the line of sight. I think FNM's pillar pod suggestion may be the best approach. Perhaps a good project for said 3d printer? I think Android Auto and a gauge app would likely work better than any other location.

One available spot in front of the driver but a bit low, is the open lower spoke of the steering wheel.

It should be noted that CAN bus gauges can be slow. Evidence has it that boost and RPM indications on the CAN bus lag the actual values by enough to make them of limited utility.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts