Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
I have the same problem, it is not serious yet but has begun to stick out a bit more as time goes by. the real problem is that the door is warped and misshapen. I forgot to ask the dealer about it I'll bring it up when in for the next oil change in 8000 miles,,,,,,not doing without a car for a gas door.......curse of the Northwest..... :)

Fail. Looks worse than before. They'll likely order me a new lid.

Btw it's not plastic. Also it hasn't been super cold in Vancouver and i park indoors.
It’s not plastic?

I’ve seen it before and yes it is common, sadly I’ve even seen it on cars sitting on our lot after being through some weather changes, cars have never been filled with fuel. I had one in the other day and wanted to order a fuel door, but they said the guy didn’t want to wait and have it painted so he wanted me to fix it for the next day (**** Alfa owners, lol). So I took it off, applied some good silicone along the back edge where it meets the hinge flap and snapped it on, used a couple spring clamps to clamp it to the flap and a rag against the painted side, removed the next day and it fit perfect, never saw it again.
I wouldn’t advise doing this though since your dealer may say you caused the issue by tampering with it.

update to the thread: it's been almost three weeks and the lid has not arrived yet. Just called the dealership and apparently, there is a long back order for that part that has to come from Italy. The guy was not able to give an estimate of when the lid will arrive.

Is anyone seeing the same wait time?
I'm at two and a half weeks. I did receive an email yesterday from Alfa saying that they expect to receive it next week though. I haven't had to bug them about it at all and they've kept me updated, so that's a good sign I suppose.

The petrol flap is a weak point on the Giulietta too, with really sloppy hinges. Alfa just lacks the refinement of the final details of other manufacturers, its a shame.
What concerns me, it appears the plastic bumper goes right up to the hood, there's plenty of chance for a mismatch down the track.

Hope the fix lasts.

I'm in Seattle, too. Same thing with my gas tank lid, and seems to be protruding more. Got mine with the May shipment and took delivery in later June. Only 3700 miles. I will contact the dealer to get a new one, presumably under warranty.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
update on the gas tank lid:
-a new, unpainted lid arrived after 3 weeks
-Went to the dealership, got mine removed so that the body shop could paint the new one by scanning the color on mine
-after one week, dealership calls to put on the new painted lid.
-once they put it up, the lid has a visible grey tone, so I send it back
-another week goes by. Dealership calls, the painting failed again. the body shop can't match the color correctly.
-Dealership asks me to bring the car in so that they can paint the whole rear left side of the car to "blend in" the difference. I say, no way! If the body shop can not get a lid right, why on earth I would let them paint a quarter of my car?
-Asked the dealership to get a new lid from one of the new cars they have in stock. They said they can't
-Now escalating with Alfa Romeo and dealership GM.

In short, my fear of an error prone process became reality and I'm not sure what the good outcome could be here.

Any other of you here that had to repaint the lid with the Trofeo White Tri-Coat? I'm looking for advise at this point.

Don't know about the water and three hours. I took our Stelvio in for the same issue and was on my way by the time I finished a second cup of their (very good) coffee. They said it was a minor adjustment. I didn't ask what they did. Sorry I can't add more.

update on the gas tank lid:
-a new, unpainted lid arrived after 3 weeks
-Went to the dealership, got mine removed so that the body shop could paint the new one by scanning the color on mine
-after one week, dealership calls to put on the new painted lid.
-once they put it up, the lid has a visible grey tone, so I send it back
-another week goes by. Dealership calls, the painting failed again. the body shop can't match the color correctly.
-Dealership asks me to bring the car in so that they can paint the whole rear left side of the car to "blend in" the difference. I say, no way! If the body shop can not get a lid right, why on earth I would let them paint a quarter of my car?
Dealership had my QV for a week and a half, just got it back. Mine is Vulcano black and the color match on my new fuel door isn't right either. I haven't decided what to do about it yet though. They really wanted to paint an entire quarter of your car?? That's insane to me. Sheesh.

Edit: Oh and I'm using the Tacoma dealership. You're using Kirkland right? I should have just taken it to the Ferrari dealer in Seattle, I bet they use a good body shop.

Mine has been "adjusted" by changing the inside parts of the lid (ordered in Italy).
No need to paint, they mounted the old part (white as my car) on the new mechanism.
But the result is bad, they cannot restore the lid to the initial position. It's better but not perfect, so I will ask them to do it again next time I go for the service!

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Dealership had my QV for a week and a half, just got it back. Mine is Vulcano black and the color match on my new fuel door isn't right either. I haven't decided what to do about it yet though. They really wanted to paint an entire quarter of your car?? That's insane to me. Sheesh.

Edit: Oh and I'm using the Tacoma dealership. You're using Kirkland right? I should have just taken it to the Ferrari dealer in Seattle, I bet they use a good body shop.
Yes, I'm using Kirkland. Can I transfer the warranty claim across dealerships? The Ferrari in Capitol Hill is one block away from my house!

Mine has been "adjusted" by changing the inside parts of the lid (ordered in Italy).
No need to paint, they mounted the old part (white as my car) on the new mechanism.
But the result is bad, they cannot restore the lid to the initial position. It's better but not perfect, so I will ask them to do it again next time I go for the service!
As delivered my car's gas cap cover was not flush with the fender. It is slightly indented at the front. It is not obvious to me that it is adjustable. Is there something that can be adjusted?

I observe that the lid is flush with the hinge at the front, but there is a gap between the lid and the hinge at the rear.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.