Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I would like to hear your opinion before I take the car back to the shop. I have the lid of the gas tank that does not close perfectly, resulting in a less than optimal aesthetic. Is your lid also leaving a few millimeters (quarter of an inch) in between the lid and the rest of the car? see pictures below

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
that does not look good. you should have it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Are you 100% certain the cap is on properly? No CEL?

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Dealer, then.

Reactions: pipposera

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just called the dealership. Apparently it's a common problem both on Stelvio and Giulia. So taking the car in to get it fixed

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Should have never passed inspection like that.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
keep us posted with what happens.

thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just noticed mine is doing the same thing a few days ago! My wife thought I was going crazy, I was trying to convince her it didn't used to look like that. Thanks for validating my concern. I guess I'll call up my dealer too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Are those raindrops in your photos, especially 2nd photo? It never rains here in the Seattle area! ;) I experienced my gas tank filler lid seem to get caught closed once only and then finally it opened. No problem since then.

Welcome!

PS: There is an Italian car show at the Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in, Issaquah. Apr 15, 2018, ALL ITALIAN SHOW 360-731-8758 9:00 am. http://triplexrootbeer.com/(2017) http://www.allitaliancarshow.com/ (2018)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Are those raindrops in your photos, especially 2nd photo? It never rains here in the Seattle area! ;) I experienced my gas tank filler lid seem to get caught closed once only and then finally it opened. No problem since then.

Welcome!

PS: There is an Italian car show at the Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in, Issaquah. Apr 15, 2018, ALL ITALIAN SHOW 360-731-8758 9:00 am. http://triplexrootbeer.com/(2017) http://www.allitaliancarshow.com/ (2018)
Just might have to see about making it to that. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Nonsense the bit about soaking in hot water and flattening.

As mentioned it a common issue especially in colder climates. The plastic appears to warp and then stick out. Over here in Europe a few lids have been replaced under warranty.

In fact a newer design of lid is underway and should be available soon I am told for those cars affected.

Its not an issue in new cars but more with ones that have been exposed to climate variations IMO.

Mine was perfect when new, its sticking out a little now. I am waiting for the new lid.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Nonsense the bit about soaking in hot water and flattening.

As mentioned it a common issue especially in colder climates. The plastic appears to warp and then stick out. Over here in Europe a few lids have been replaced under warranty.

In fact a newer design of lid is underway and should be available soon I am told for those cars affected.

Its not an issue in new cars but more with ones that have been exposed to climate variations IMO.

Mine was perfect when new, its sticking out a little now. I am waiting for the new lid.
In the meantime park with that side facing the sun? :nerd:

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
If the door is plastic, perhaps it is made of one of the many hydrophilic plastics and just needs to be dried out to restore the dimensions?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fail. Looks worse than before. They'll likely order me a new lid.

Btw it's not plastic. Also it hasn't been super cold in Vancouver and i park indoors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have same issue. Came that way.

Im going to get it fixed on Friday.

I was told they have to remove it altogether, soak it in hot water, then slowly flatten it. 3 hours or so.

We'll see.
I took the car in today and they told me that they are seeing this issue quite a lot on both Giulias and Stelvios. It's not something that the cars come with; the lid starts bending with time.
The service guy said that they don't know why it does it, but it could because of a reaction of the plastic of the lid to the cold/moisture combination around here. That could be the case since we both live in the Pacific Northwest.
They also told me that Alfa usually sends a new lid, unpainted. So then they have to paint it to match the color of the car. That sounds quite a painful, error prone, process.

Who are you taking your car to? Is it an Alfa service shop?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes. Alfa Romeo of Vancouver.

They did say they will order unpainted lid. In meantime I'll be fine. Only I've ever noticed so no rush. But it must get fixed eventually... My beautiful giulia...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just wondering if the effected cars are filled by the owner or the gas station attendant ?

Not that that should matter, but I know how I close the door and I know how they do it...

Just wondering....D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts