Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few weeks, when it's really cold out (below 15 degrees or so), I get this grinding noise in the vicinity of the right rear wheel. It only does it when I'm cruising along at 30-45 mph. If I'm accelerating or if I lift off the gas it stops. At first, I figured that it was just some ice buildup under the car somewhere that's rubbing something.

Yesterday I refueled the car when it was at about 1/4 tank and 16 degrees out. When I took off the gas cap the thing sounded like a wind tunnel as the tank sucked in a ton of air. The pump then kept shutting off when I'd squeeze the handle and I finally had to just pump it ridiculously slowly, like 10-12 minutes to put about 8 gallons in. Once I hit 3/4 tank it just wouldn't take any more gas no matter how slowly I pumped it. When I left the gas station the grinding noise stopped. Then it occurred to me that the fuel pump is just below the right rear passenger seat (I think) so maybe the grinding noise I keep hearing is actually the fuel pump? Could a blocked vent or something cause these issues?

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because they're an hour away and the car has no other symptoms (no stalling or rough idle, no CEL, etc.), but I'm curious as to what's going on. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I may top off the tank to see if it is in fact cold weather related.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
Over the past few weeks, when it's really cold out (below 15 degrees or so), I get this grinding noise in the vicinity of the right rear wheel. It only does it when I'm cruising along at 30-45 mph. If I'm accelerating or if I lift off the gas it stops. At first, I figured that it was just some ice buildup under the car somewhere that's rubbing something.

Yesterday I refueled the car when it was at about 1/4 tank and 16 degrees out. When I took off the gas cap the thing sounded like a wind tunnel as the tank sucked in a ton of air. The pump then kept shutting off when I'd squeeze the handle and I finally had to just pump it ridiculously slowly, like 10-12 minutes to put about 8 gallons in. Once I hit 3/4 tank it just wouldn't take any more gas no matter how slowly I pumped it. When I left the gas station the grinding noise stopped. Then it occurred to me that the fuel pump is just below the right rear passenger seat (I think) so maybe the grinding noise I keep hearing is actually the fuel pump? Could a blocked vent or something cause these issues?
Yes, your symptoms are consistent with a blocked vent.
I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because they're an hour away and the car has no other symptoms (no stalling or rough idle, no CEL, etc.), but I'm curious as to what's going on. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I may top off the tank to see if it is in fact cold weather related.
Does your car get warm enough to "thaw"? If so and the symptoms continue OR if you cannot thaw your car, I strongly recommend that you take it to a dealer before something gets damaged. Otherwise, still call your dealer and see if he can provide some information about how to check on the vent.

Either way, please let us know what happens.

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, your symptoms are consistent with a blocked vent.

Does your car get warm enough to "thaw"? If so and the symptoms continue OR if you cannot thaw your car, I strongly recommend that you take it to a dealer before something gets damaged. Otherwise, still call your dealer and see if he can provide some information about how to check on the vent.

Either way, please let us know what happens.

Thanks.
I park it our garage at night which usually stays around 45 degrees when it's cold outside. In the morning, when the car is "warm," everything is normal. I only see the problem after parking outside for a while, like after work or after going out for the evening. I'll update if anything more comes of it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
had almost the same issue when it was really cold here in chicago, couldnt fill up the car with gasoline, because pump would just keep shutting off, looks like the went in the system gets frozen or something and doesnt went the air pressure, which keeps the pump shutting of, once it got little bit warmer the problem dissapiers

Reactions: MattP
1 - 5 of 5 Posts