Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually when I fuel up I either pump myself (yes I know it's Jersey) or at least get out of the car to make sure the attendant doesn't drool gas on the body. At my usual Shell station yesterday I just told the new youngish attendant to fill with V Power. When I got home I looked at my receipt and saw that she had pumped 11.5 gallons of REGULAR! Now I'm worried what effect this will have. I have an approx 150 mile trip coming up and will refill with 93 after this. Hoping this will raise the average octane to a reasonable level. Or should I add a bottle of octane booster before I drive? Looking for advice.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Which model year? I thought the later ones can put regular (along with SP oil)?

EDIT- The octane boosters usually have MTBE or other similar product told to avoid in the Owners Manual. It's very hard to find one that doesn't. I have some Rislone that I think doesn't but never used it yet....

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Usually when I fuel up I either pump myself (yes I know it's Jersey) or at least get out of the car to make sure the attendant doesn't drool gas on the body. At my usual Shell station yesterday I just told the new youngish attendant to fill with V Power. When I got home I looked at my receipt and saw that she had pumped 11.5 gallons of REGULAR! Now I'm worried what effect this will have. I have an approx 150 mile trip coming up and will refill with 93 after this. Hoping this will raise the average octane to a reasonable level. Or should I add a bottle of octane booster before I drive? Looking for advice.
You‘re good:

These engines are designed to meet all emission regulations, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality
unleaded “Regular” gasoline having a posted octane number of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is recommended in these engines.

·
Registered
635 Posts
As long as it wasn’t diesel you’re fine. Like the above post, cars are smart enough to adjust in order to prevent engine knocking. Car might feel a bit lethargic though.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The engine will retard the timing to protect it from knock. That being said drive it easy and burn the gas up and refill with premium.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
You should be fine. I have put literally 250K miles on a BMW e39 530i using 87 octane, when the label on the gas door says 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your input. As I said I plan to refill with 93 as soon as I burn some of this off. Didn't want to add booster because of the warning. Will try to document how much mileage suffers just for kicks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I always used top tier 93 premium, but with this recent garbage going on, I try to do a bit of mixing. The difference between regular and premium here is about 70 cents a gallon. So now, I'm looking to push that 90 ideal... besides, I ran all my previous Infiniti’s on nothing but regular. It’s this spoiled Italian Princess that keeps me on my toes.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,923 Posts
I would put 93 in if 93 was available. It is tough to find in California or Nevada and what you can find may exceed the > 15% ethanol limit quoted in the manual.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have two 76 stations near me, 7 mi and 12 mi away, that sell 100 octane fuel. Unfortunately it is $9.99 a gallon so I just add just enough make 93, (or a tad higher).

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
I have two 76 stations near me, 7 mi and 12 mi away, that sell 100 octane fuel. Unfortunately it is $9.99 a gallon so I just add just enough make 93, (or a tad higher).

Watch out, high octane fuel is often leaded or spiked with a lot of ethanol, or both. Neither is compatible with the stock fuel system in Giulia. IIRC one forum member did the mods needed to run on high ethanol fuel. Lead will gum up your cat, plus that whole brain damage thing.

·
Registered
747 Posts
@lockem We can't even buy non-CARB stuff and have it shipped to us. This is sold at the pump on the same dispenser but separate nozzle. It is not E85 which is even cheaper than 87 last time I checked. But yeah it's for our Panamera which replaced our Giulia. It has 93 on the label which I'm reminded whenever I open the filler flap. Strangely when I check Cayennes they all say 91 on the flap, (at least the ones I've checked).

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
@lockem We can't even buy non-CARB stuff and have it shipped to us. This is sold at the pump on the same dispenser but separate nozzle. It is not E85 which is even cheaper than 87 last time I checked. But yeah it's for our Panamera which replaced our Giulia. It has 93 on the label which I'm reminded whenever I open the filler flap. Strangely when I check Cayennes they all say 91 on the flap, (at least the ones I've checked).

E85 costs less per gallon but more per mile. One fuel system mod to handle E85 is increasing the max fuel delivery rate of the system (fuel pump upgrades). E85 has considerably less energy per gallon than gasoline. I believe that E85 as made in the USA has a substantially higher carbon footprint than gasoline--because of the fuel expended to make the ethanol.

Anyway, E30 has a high octane rating and could be what that 100 octane fuel is.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There isn't an engine management computer designed in the last DECADE (probably even much older) that isn't capable of detecting the lower octane and adjust the ignition timing accordingly. There is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It used to say on the label "not a 76 product". I would hope it would warn of the 30% ethanol. I suspect this is it:

·
Registered
38 Posts
As long as it wasn’t diesel you’re fine. Like the above post, cars are smart enough to adjust in order to prevent engine knocking. Car might feel a bit lethargic though.
I drove Jaguar Diesel before switching to Giulia. Until now I'm afraid I could put diesel one day. Now all the time I'm going GS I pinch myself to remember to go to a GAS pump.

·
Registered
'18 Base Q4, white
96 Posts
I drove Jaguar Diesel before switching to Giulia. Until now I'm afraid I could put diesel one day. Now all the time I'm going GS I pinch myself to remember to go to a GAS pump.
I was fairly new to a diesel VW. The pump had both gas and diesel on it. I actually had the gas nozzle in my hand before I realized something wasn't right. I blame the cold wind blowing that night...

Fogg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts