Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the gas pedal in the Giulia? I'm only talking about the gas pedal itself, not how the car accelerates when you push on it.

All of the cars that I have previously owned had the gas pedal mounted on the firewall, but in the Giulia the pedal is mounted with a hing point on the floor. I have size 14 feet (size 48 in Europe), and the weight of my foot is too much for the spring in the gas pedal assembly. I therefore have to lift or hold my foot back a little bit to keep from pressing the gas pedal too much. Has anyone else noticed this? For me pushing the gas pedal feels like I'm using a computer keyboard with mushy keys, or a mushy joy stick box.

It sure would be nice if a company like Eurocompusion offered a replacement pedal that has more feel and a much stronger spring.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the gas pedal in the Giulia? I'm only talking about the gas pedal itself, not how the car accelerates when you push on it.

All of the cars that I have previously owned had the gas pedal mounted on the firewall, but in the Giulia the pedal is mounted with a hing point on the floor. I have size 14 feet (size 48 in Europe), and the weight of my foot is too much for the spring in the gas pedal assembly. I therefore have to lift or hold my foot back a little bit to keep from pressing the gas pedal too much. Has anyone else noticed this? For me pushing the gas pedal feels like I'm using a computer keyboard with mushy keys, or a mushy joy stick box.

It sure would be nice if a company like Eurocompusion offered a replacement pedal that has more feel and a much stronger spring.
I would be surprised if it is difficult to add a supplemental spring.

The angle of your foot relative to the pedal can be altered by adjusting the seat and steering wheel position. The type of shoes you wear will also alter your comfort with the pedal. I think the distance to the pedal and the angle of the pedal are more important than how the pedal pivots. If you think about it, your foot pivots around your ankle and the floor is a lot closer to your ankle than the firewall or space above the firewall.

My LHD Etype had the pedal pivot on the floor. The pedal was mounted awkwardly close to the seat (the accelerator pedal is closer to the seat than the brake or clutch) due to a bulge in the transmission tunnel to make clearance for the clutch slave cylinder. Long drives could get painful. My DeSoto also had the pivot on the floor, but the pedal was mounted farther from the seat than the brake and it was perfectly comfortable to operate.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I wear size 13-14 depending on shoe, I just wore a size 14 yesterday and I don't really feel anything other than having to 'get used to it' ... then again this is the second car I've ever had so I don't have as much experience as you do ... I agree with Lockem, I think just adjust the seat, angle of your foot etc and it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts

To my knowledge for the most part there are 2 different gas pedal configurations, a pedal that hinges from the bottom like a wedge or a "standard" pedal style.
Each has it's own pro's and con's, you're probably just not used to this specific configuration. If it was the opposite way around where you had always used the type of pedal in the Giulia and then all of a sudden had a vehicle that has the "standard" pedal it would feel weird to you and would be different.
I would just take time to get acclimated with the gas pedal and you eventually you will probably feel it being the norm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts