Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone out there post a photo of their Giulia Ti gas gauge when the tank is full? I'm not sure how it should appear... I filled my tank for the first time, and the indicator lights did not extend to the top F. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to look, if there's something wrong with my car, or if the gas pump shut off prematurely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Full is not the issue- Empty is the issue. This is one worst cars when you are getting to the quarter of a tank. When the gas warning light comes on, the remaining miles on the instrument cluster goes blank!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Recently refueled the QV, did about 170 kilometres and the fuel indicator only went down one bar (1/8)!

I'm expecting it to play catch up on next drive.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm recording fill amounts to try to gauge (wink) my level meanings...

8 bars is full.

So far, 1 bar down is 2.9-3 gallons used, rather than the 1.9 you'd expect. Once I have a full sample, I'll post the data. Due to a malfunctioning pump, I also know there is about a gallons worth of slack space in the tank...but I wouldn't recommend using it because of consequences for your evap system! This result, and the 2.9 for one bar matches expectation based upon the shape of the Giulia fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Mine works fine.

Reactions: Alfa in Vegas

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I find the obsession with linearity of fuel guage interesting....modern fuel tanks are of very complex shapes to utilize every nook and cranny of available space and consequently gauges are inherently nonlinear....fuel gauge and remaining range are supposed to be basic information not a micrometer, it is simple for me, 2-3 bars left and I refuel it

·
Registered
483 Posts
What about when the red light comes on? How much gas is left?
I had this red light come on yesterday for the first time. I had one bar remaining above the E bar at the bottom of the gas gauge. The "miles to empty" said I had about 60 miles left, I forget the exact figure. I filled up and it took 15.4 gallons and the pump shut off. The Giulia tank size is only supposed to be 15.3 gallons.

So either the tank holds more gas than reported, or I almost ran out of gas and the "miles to empty" is way off.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Doc, I had a slow pump top me a gallon over "full" recently, with no auto shutoff. Took 3.9 gallons of driving (112 miles at an estimated 29 mpg, which I correct to 28) to knock off the first bar. I don't recommend this.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I had this red light come on yesterday for the first time. I had one bar remaining above the E bar at the bottom of the gas gauge. The "miles to empty" said I had about 60 miles left, I forget the exact figure. I filled up and it took 15.4 gallons and the pump shut off. The Giulia tank size is only supposed to be 15.3 gallons.

So either the tank holds more gas than reported, or I almost ran out of gas and the "miles to empty" is way off.
Sounds like you were pretty nearly running off what was in the lines and the pressurized pump. The tank is 15.3, but there's obviously a bit more in the filler pipe before the gas pump shuts off. The "miles to empty" is just an estimate that the computer makes based on trending usage. It isn't an accurate and precise measurement. It's recommended that you fill up when the gauge gets down to 1/4 tank, as that's less than 4 gallons which isn't much when you spread it out over the entire system. You really shouldn't let the gauge go below 1/8 of a tank because that's hardly any gas at all, regardless of the computer estimate of "miles to empty". You do NOT want to run the tank to empty; that can actually cause expensive damage to the high-pressure fuel system.

I wish the gas gauge had a continuous line instead of the separated segments. I also wish they were green until half-way, then go orange until a quarter of a tank, then go yellow until an eighth of a tank, then go red. The all-white broken segments aren't as informative as they could be.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
Sounds like you were pretty nearly running off what was in the lines and the pressurized pump. The tank is 15.3, but there's obviously a bit more in the filler pipe before the gas pump shuts off. The "miles to empty" is just an estimate that the computer makes based on trending usage. It isn't an accurate and precise measurement. It's recommended that you fill up when the gauge gets down to 1/4 tank, as that's less than 4 gallons which isn't much when you spread it out over the entire system. You really shouldn't let the gauge go below 1/8 of a tank because that's hardly any gas at all, regardless of the computer estimate of "miles to empty". You do NOT want to run the tank to empty; that can actually cause expensive damage to the high-pressure fuel system.

I wish the gas gauge had a continuous line instead of the separated segments. I also wish they were green until half-way, then go orange until a quarter of a tank, then go yellow until an eighth of a tank, then go red. The all-white broken segments aren't as informative as they could be.
Yes, but without running the tank empty you never learn how much usable fuel is really left. This can be done without damaging the expensive high pressure fuel pump if the fuel line is disconnected and run to a storage bucket and the low pressure pump can be run without running the engine (any volunteers? This still has potential to damage the low pressure pump). The manual is ambiguous regarding if the "reserve" is in addition to the 15.3 gallon capacity or included in the 15.3 gallon capacity. There is also no fill marker on the tank to be able to tell how close it is to the full mark.

One other forum member relayed advice that a car be filled with the pump set to the lowest pace in order to get all of the gas that you are paying for. I have no idea if that is meaningful advice.

Evidence has it that there is 1.9 gallons per mark on the fuel gauge, excepting the top mark and maybe the bottom mark. Of course the bottom mark is the important one. If the tank holds only 15.3 gallons apparently the bottom mark is less than 1 gallon as the top mark apparently corresponds to more than 1.9 gallons.

The problem with a continuous line is that it is hard to read, especially at a glance. Mechanical fuel gauges have marks on the dial to alleviate this issue. A "gallons left" number might be more useful.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Yes, but without running the tank empty you never learn how much usable fuel is really left. This can be done without damaging the expensive high pressure fuel pump if the fuel line is disconnected and run to a storage bucket and the low pressure pump can be run without running the engine (any volunteers? This still has potential to damage the low pressure pump). The manual is ambiguous regarding if the "reserve" is in addition to the 15.3 gallon capacity or included in the 15.3 gallon capacity. There is also no fill marker on the tank to be able to tell how close it is to the full mark.

One other forum member relayed advice that a car be filled with the pump set to the lowest pace in order to get all of the gas that you are paying for. I have no idea if that is meaningful advice.

Evidence has it that there is 1.9 gallons per mark on the fuel gauge, excepting the top mark and maybe the bottom mark. Of course the bottom mark is the important one. If the tank holds only 15.3 gallons apparently the bottom mark is less than 1 gallon as the top mark apparently corresponds to more than 1.9 gallons.

The problem with a continuous line is that it is hard to read, especially at a glance. Mechanical fuel gauges have marks on the dial to alleviate this issue. A "gallons left" number might be more useful.
That would be me who relayed that, which I got from a Shell exec. As far as the rest, why would you want to risk running out of gas in a car like this? Or any car for that matter? As soon as the gauge reaches 1/4 tank, I automatically start looking to gas up at the next convenient station of the brand I prefer to use. For me it's a safety habit, so I don't find myself in a situation where I run out of gas, especially in the winter.

If there are hash marks at the edge of the gauge line, it wouldn't be hard to read at a glance at all, especially if the line was color coded. A "gallons left" would be a great idea if it were accurate and reliable. In fact, I'd like both; that and the gauge.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The 15.3 capacity includes the "reserve", per MacGeek, who also provided pictures of the gas tank configuration. His other information has been repeatedly proven correct, so I'll buy this data too. The design of the tank and the sensor system certainly suggests the first mark is significantly more than 1.9 gallons worth, due to a tapering top design and the need to place the twin sensors in locations that don't/can't read that area.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts