Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you are planning to track your car, I strongly recommend GMS camber and castor correction kit, otherwise you will destroy outer edges of the front tyres very quickly. Another benefit would be better grip in the corners, therefore better laptimes. If you set the front camber at -2° camber, it should be daily drivable and track usable. Rear camber is adjustable without any mods. Better pads are another "must do" mod for track use (with heat shields). And ST Springs might be the third mod, but not neccasery.

I actually bought my Giulia for the same reasons as you did. A car that has to transport up to 4 people in comfort on a long yourneys, while at the same time offering me fun at track days. I did all the above mods, except the pads, but I have time till spring/summer when track days will start. I use Classico wheels (5-hole) for summer tyres (Michelin 4S), and Technicos for winter tyres (Michelin PA4), and I will also use Technicos for potential future track days (I have a set of Corsas P Zero for that).

About wheels...
You can actually get forged Classico wheels in 19" for the Giulia; but design itself is taken from Stelvio's 20" wheels. Stelvio 5-hole wheels actually look more agressive and modern, which I like a lot. However they are custom made and therefore expensive, but if I would have 5000€ to spent I would get them...

Links to the mentioned mods:
I spoke with a local racing shop a few months ago about having them install the camber kit from GMS in the spring when I flip back to summer wheels/tires Absolutely. Did you do -2° in the rear as well? I do one track day a month in spring/summer/fall at this point. May try do do a full weekend as well. I will probably not spend the money on the forged wheels for awhile but will down the road, I hope. I burned through the stock pads in 2 track days and daily driving in those 2 months. I put on EBC Blue Stuff pads when I had a second set of dark 5-hole wheels with the Micheline Alpin winter tires in early November. I hope to convince my wife I need the Tarox rotos and pads this spring. Definitely more to do. Thanks for listing your mods and recommendations. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I spoke with a local racing shop a few months ago about having them install the camber kit from GMS in the spring when I flip back to summer wheels/tires Absolutely. Did you do -2° in the rear as well? I do one track day a month in spring/summer/fall at this point. May try do do a full weekend as well. I will probably not spend the money on the forged wheels for awhile but will down the road, I hope. I burned through the stock pads in 2 track days and daily driving in those 2 months. I put on EBC Blue Stuff pads when I had a second set of dark 5-hole wheels with the Micheline Alpin winter tires in early November. I hope to convince my wife I need the Tarox rotos and pads this spring. Definitely more to do. Thanks for listing your mods and recommendations. Happy New Year.
You generally want a bit less negative camber in the rear vs. front so you can still get the car to rotate. I'd need to look through my notes but I think I found the best balance with around -1.4 in the rear when I had -2.0 in the front

·
Registered
86 Posts
You generally want a bit less negative camber in the rear vs. front so you can still get the car to rotate. I'd need to look through my notes but I think I found the best balance with around -1.4 in the rear when I had -2.0 in the front
Thanks. This has been discussed on other threads i have reviewed. Most focused on the front but I do remember now it being less than -2 in the rear. Makes sense. Thanks very much

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
93 Posts
In GMS documents they recommend -2°15' front and -2°00' rear for the "track" setup, but of course anyone can play around with the setup.

I got the kit installed with my winter tyres together with ST Springs, but I need another alignment. I want to achieve "track" setting from their documents. My final verdict of the kit will be with summer tyres anyway. The second alignment will be done soon by GMS themselves.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In GMS documents they recommend -2°15' front and -2°00' rear for the "track" setup, but of course anyone can play around with the setup.

I got the kit installed with my winter tyres together with ST Springs, but I need another alignment. I want to achieve "track" setting from their documents. My final verdict of the kit will be with summer tyres anyway. The second alignment will be done soon by GMS themselves.
Very nice. Thanks. I think they have an intermediate set up, right? Will look at it when I order and discuss with the shop here. Appreciate your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
No one should care about my thoughts and opinion here, but I share it as, in the OP, the QV experience sounds similar to mine.

I can see why folks would like the interior of the M's. For a long time, I thought more tech was better. But I love the simplicity of my '21QV. I absolutely love the green and white stitching. I can't get enough of it. I love the lines of the interior dash much more than the M cars.....or any other car I could conceivably own, for that matter. Related to the interior, if I was on the track 3 days a week and had the time to convince myself I could find the perfect 1 of the 400 different combinations of settings for the steering, transmission, etc, maybe I could go with the M and all those buttons and switches would be worth it......actually no way. I use A for highway, N to go to work each day with the frequent move to D, and I have loved R on the track.....and in a few specific areas around the region where I live. I do wish AR offered more interior leather colors. They exist but can't have them on the QV

As to the exterior, I could go with several exterior colors from Alfa and be really pleased......none of the paint options on the BMW look great to me. The dark does help the BMW grill as mentioned above. Maybe their deep red but the wheels they offer don't work as well with the color and car lines as they do in the Alfa (in my opinion of course). I love my Ocra and could go with Montreal Verde if I didn't have that. I love the Verde Visconti on my wife's stelvio (so sad that is gone). The Etna is great, the Competizione red was lovely.....Misano Blue is interesting. These colors work so well on the Alfa with its lines and wheel options. So many more options that are eye catching but not gaudy. These colors seem to be loved by almost anyone when seen in person. So many compliments.

I did M school for 2 days in 2018. That helped me on the track with my QV now. M2 was fun, M4 was fun. I did love the new M5 but I don't like the look of the exterior lines, and li ike my interior more (see above). That is a beast but I love the lightness of my Alfa more. AWD is appealing but I'm learning to drive without it in the snow (and can steal my wife's stelvio if necessary to get to work). And to all the tech, it was fun in the M cars, but I soon realized I never looked at the HUD while on track; never looked at the speedometer during a hot lap; never tried out all those different combinations of settings. The instructors said, just put everything in sport+ except the steering which should be in comfort.....sounds like D and R in the QV.

I have no idea what would interest me in another brand at this point. Hard to imagine jumping to anything else at the price point or maybe even above it given my need for a daily driver and track car in one.
I thought I might throw my 2 cents in as well.

I spent the better part of my teenage years experiencing the best BMW had to offer from a friend in the neighborhood who's father was the service manager of the dealership in town.

Many Saturdays I was awaken to the phone ringing from the kitchen..we didn't have cell phones in those days...to find that my buddy had the newest M3 sitting in the driveway or Z4 or M Roadster and to hurry over.

Many trips to the annual sign and drives to experience rides in the latest and greatest from BMW oh what a thrill.

Then one of the rich kids we often got in to trouble with father purchased a brand new 1995 540i with split 5 BBS wheels. Oh what a beauty. What a glorious time we had while mom and dad were in Cabo as we opened the sunroof and drove the ultimate drivers experience to the beach to impress the girls in bikinis listening to the sound of the normally aspirated v8.

These were the creme de la creme of automobiles to me and I dreamed of one day owning one of these magnificent feats of mechinal engineering in MY driveway.

Fast forward 25 years later and finally after years of hard work and patience I own a 2020 QV.

...drops mic

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,007 Posts
Reactions: sofo

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are planning to track your car, I strongly recommend GMS camber and castor correction kit, otherwise you will destroy outer edges of the front tyres very quickly. Another benefit would be better grip in the corners, therefore better laptimes. If you set the front camber at -2° camber, it should be daily drivable and track usable. Rear camber is adjustable without any mods. Better pads are another "must do" mod for track use (with heat shields). And ST Springs might be the third mod, but not neccasery.

I actually bought my Giulia for the same reasons as you did. A car that has to transport up to 4 people in comfort on a long yourneys, while at the same time offering me fun at track days. I did all the above mods, except the pads, but I have time till spring/summer when track days will start. I use Classico wheels (5-hole) for summer tyres (Michelin 4S), and Technicos for winter tyres (Michelin PA4), and I will also use Technicos for potential future track days (I have a set of Corsas P Zero for that).

About wheels...
You can actually get forged Classico wheels in 19" for the Giulia; but design itself is taken from Stelvio's 20" wheels. Stelvio 5-hole wheels actually look more agressive and modern, which I like a lot. However they are custom made and therefore expensive, but if I would have 5000€ to spent I would get them...

Links to the mentioned mods:
I love it when they argue the wheels are lighter, but do not provide any specific weight amount. In addition, what does that mean „Made in Italy“? Who is the manufacturer? Some dude? Or do they come from China? I‘d never buy such wheels from an unknown company without any specification.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I love it when they argue the wheels are lighter, but do not provide any specific weight amount. In addition, what does that mean „Made in Italy“? Who is the manufacturer? Some dude? Or do they come from China? I‘d never buy such wheels from an unknown company without any specification.
I think it's scara73

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
93 Posts
Manufacturer is NTM Racing Wheels Italy; check their FB page.

·
Registered
57 Posts
View attachment 121028
So my mate came past my joint today to take me on a drive on a new M4 convertible xdrive which he is thinking of buying. He tells me to then drive and see what i think. Within 3 corners down the road i tell him, it's too boring. It's too muted, no excitement, down shifts lack theatre which he agrees as he's had, RS4's Mercs and the like. I then take it out of 4 wheel drive mode to see if things change, not much i tell you. We had traction off, everthing dialed up and it just didn't do anything for me. Steering wheel is bigger and thicker than
the QV. Car feels bigger as well. The car does looks good in a dark colour i must say.
I then tell him how about i take you in my 19QV to compare. He couldn't believe the emotion the car gave him and he was only in the passages seat. He quickly decided the M4 is not the car for him.
Friends i tell you, we have a special car that not even this M4 can replicate. Sure it might have a nicer interior but that was probably it. The feeling the QV gives is amazing. It feels lighter, more agile and livelier if that all makes sense. Let's all enjoy them, cause there is not much out there that compares.
I don't doubt this for a minute. I recently traded my 2020 AMG E for a 2019 Stelvio QV. The difference is so obvious with the Alfa being much more engaging and great to drive. You feel connected to the Alfa. The Mercedes was fast in a straight line but felt bulky and ponderous to drive compared to the Alfa. Indeed, these are very special cars. The popular wisdom is that BMW and Mercedes are the best, but these people have never actually experienced Alfa.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts