Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just hit a pothole (not even a big one) on the Southern State Parkway on Long Island. Blew out my passenger side front tire.

Called Alfa Roadside Assistance and they were great I have to say. Their towing service cannot get me on this road because stupid New York State only allows two companies to tow on this road. I will be reimbursed by Alfa though apparently. Should be here in 20 minutes to an hour.

Having it flatbed transported to Westbury Fiat-Alfa which is the closest dealership. Of course, no one is there because they close at 5 and it’s 15 after now.

Temps are warm enough for the Corsas right now but it blew out so easily unfortunately. No obvious damage to the rim but we’ll see when service looks at it.

I have 4,000 miles in the car and tires and they still have plenty of tread. I guess I’m going to have to get new tires all around though so the wear is even. Don’t know what to do with the three gently used ones.

I guess I’m a bit unlucky car-wise as I’ve already had $20,000 I’d damage from driving over a rock as many of you know from my earlier thread.

Update...tow truck just called and is only 10 minutes out. Wish me luck.

Any other Giulias driving West and near Meadow rook Parkway exit, give me a wave.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Ugh.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just hit a pothole (not even a big one) on the Southern State Parkway on Long Island. Blew out my passenger side front tire.

Called Alfa Roadside Assistance and they were great I have to say. Their towing service cannot get me on this road because stupid New York State only allows two companies to tow on this road. I will be reimbursed by Alfa though apparently. Should be here in 20 minutes to an hour.

Having it flatbed transported to Westbury Fiat-Alfa which is the closest dealership. Of course, no one is there because they close at 5 and it’s 15 after now.

Temps are warm enough for the Corsas right now but it blew out so easily unfortunately. No obvious damage to the rim but we’ll see when service looks at it.

I have 4,000 miles in the car and tires and they still have plenty of tread. I guess I’m going to have to get new tires all around though so the wear is even. Don’t know what to do with the three gently used ones.

I guess I’m a bit unlucky car-wise as I’ve already had $20,000 I’d damage from driving over a rock as many of you know from my earlier thread.

Update...tow truck just called and is only 10 minutes out. Wish me luck.

Any other Giulias driving West and near Meadow rook Parkway exit, give me a wave.
I think you'll be fine just replacing the one tire. 4k miles are nothing - still new enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you check your tire pressure when you first got the car? Numerous people have noted (including myself) tires were way over inflated when owners took delivery. Thought this would only be a matter of time.

Check the tire pressure in your other tires.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I expect to see your tow truck pic up on Jalopnik with an article about unreliable Alfas
In the interest of protecting our Giulia's collective reputations, I would suggest that anytime anyone on this forum sees an Audi, BWM, Mercedes, or Porsche either roadside or on a flatbed, IMMEDIATELY SNAP A PICTURE !!!

Reactions: Sal Scotto

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
At least he got here quickly
So sorry to hear this Simey....If I was local I would have come to help you out....Unfortunately for you but fortunately for me :)laugh:) I was at the Fordham vs VCU basketball game where my son's Fordham Rams Hockey Team was honored for winning the Metropolitan Athletic Conference Ice Hockey Championship...

Attachments

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the good part is that you weren't going so fast that the tire shredded before you could stop, causing the wheel to be destroyed.
1 tire - maybe two depending on actual wear as mentioned above

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you check your tire pressure when you first got the car? Numerous people have noted (including myself) tires were way over inflated when owners took delivery. Thought this would only be a matter of time.

Check the tire pressure in your other tires.
I check it every few weeks and they were all spot on pressure-wise. Must have hit the pothole just right unfortunately.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the good part is that you weren't going so fast that the tire shredded before you could stop, causing the wheel to be destroyed.
1 tire - maybe two depending on actual wear as mentioned above
Yes, I’m grateful for that. Took me about a mile to get over to the shoulder as no one wants to let you in (I was in the left lane of a three lane highway)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
unlucky mate! I drove between the lines on i84 around rt311 on my brand new snow tires/wheels in my SUV last weekend and thought i'd bent the wheels etc.. I know they're violent! Only saving grace is I didn't have the Alfa.. oh and I didn't do any damage just an awful sound :)

Hope you get her sorted and you're back up and running soon. I'd second they'll probably just do the one tire unless there's significant tread depletion (unlikely). I HATE driving on LI in general, always take a rental :D

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sorry to hear man.... luckily you didn't bend the rim.....

I had that happen to me in MA several years ago in my S4, it is unfortunate, but it is part of living on New England roads.....

Are you gonna order a new set of corsas for all wheels?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I have been dodging potholes all week. The roads here continue to get worse and worse!

The Van Wyck Expressway was littered with cars on the shoulder yesterday. Glad I was not in the Giulia!

·
Registered
537 Posts
In cold weather the potholes really are hard on tires, especially the low-profile ones. I’d say one tire should get you on the road again, the Corsair wearvpretty quickly I know, but you should still have at least half tread on the other front, so one and done will likely be fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sorry to hear your off the road for a bit. At least this time it was just a single tire. Hope you get back up and running soon. All this talk about how bad roads are in other parts of the country really makes me appreciate or roads here in the NW. Most are pretty good but some of the mountain passes can get pretty beat up depending on the winter.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
So sorry to hear this Simey....If I was local I would have come to help you out....Unfortunately for you but fortunately for me :)laugh:) I was at the Fordham vs VCU basketball game where my son's Fordham Rams Hockey Team was honored for winning the Metropolitan Athletic Conference Ice Hockey Championship...
The University????....always thought that was club hockey??? was when i was there....Congratulations none the less!....FU basketball should be as good as the hockey team!!:grin2:

·
Registered
573 Posts
So sorry to hear this Simey....If I was local I would have come to help you out....Unfortunately for you but fortunately for me (/forum/images/GiuliaForums/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png) I wa
s at the Fordham vs VCU basketball game where my son's Fordham Rams Hockey Team was honored for winning the Metropolitan Athletic Conference Ice Hockey Championship...
The University????....always thought that was club hockey??? was when i was there....Congratulations none the less!....FU basketball should be as good as the hockey team!!/forum/images/GiuliaForums/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
"FU basketball" maybe not the best abbreviation for a university. I had to scroll back to verify the name of the school started with an F :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts