1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you stating that you are experiencing "fuel starvation during cornering" in your Giulia 2.0 Q4?
Yes on right hand turns like highway cloverleafs. This is causing limp mode, I guess from running lean on exit. But only at WOT on exit, everything else is fine.
This TDI ecu plugin probably has something to do with it as well-
https://tdi-tuning.com/car/alfa-rom...ft/crtd4-multi-channel-petrol-tuning-box-chip
Right now I am dealing with it by just not doing that...

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I'd say so, experienced nothing of the sort at Palmer. Maybe pull that out and see if it still does it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looking at their installation video on how and where it is connected, I would think this has everything to do with their kit and very little to do with the car itself.
Plugging in between "fuel" and "boost" connectors is not the best way to add 64 HP - I suspect the injectors and/or fuel pump are maxed out at 100%.
This could risk a lean condition and could be catastrophic...
That is quite an increase.

The subject should be changed to:
Modified car and am experiencing fuel starvation...

On modified boosted cars, its generally very important to monitor:
- fuel injector duty cycle %
- boost pressure
- fuel pressure
A typical upgrade will often include a fuel pressure/flow booster fuel pump, plus gauges to monitor what is going on. Often larger fuel injectors may be required as well as you get into the higher % increases.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Looking at their installation video on how and where it is connected, I would think this has everything to do with their kit and very little to do with the car itself.
Plugging in between "fuel" and "boost" connectors is not the best way to add 64 HP - I suspect the injectors and/or fuel pump are maxed out at 100%.
This could risk a lean condition and could be catastrophic...
That is quite an increase.

The subject should be changed to:
Modified car and am experiencing fuel starvation...

On modified boosted cars, its generally very important to monitor:
- fuel injector duty cycle %
- boost pressure
- fuel pressure
A typical upgrade will often include a fuel pressure/flow booster fuel pump, plus gauges to monitor what is going on. Often larger fuel injectors may be required as well as you get into the higher % increases.
peczenij, I agree with all of your post.
Is the CEL illuminating after these periods of "fuel starvation"?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
peczenij, I agree with all of your post.
Is the CEL illuminating after these periods of "fuel starvation"?
I would have to try to replicate the conditions and check. In all three instances I was merging into traffic from a cloverleaf WOT and did not notice a cell. WOT by itself will not produce the throttle body warning or limp mode.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
How long does the limp mode last?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would have to try to replicate the conditions and check. In all three instances I was merging into traffic from a cloverleaf WOT and did not notice a cell. WOT by itself will not produce the throttle body warning or limp mode.
What map are u running.. ive experienced the same issue, in map 5, typically 5th gear at 5k rpm or more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am running map 7 (the most aggressive). I don't know what gear because I am letting the auto trans do the work, but it seems like it would be a higher gear as this is happening at high speed. (60+mph I would guess). The limp mode clears immediately after restarting the car once. I have been pulling over and restarting first thing it was safe to do so so anywhere between 10-120 seconds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As long as tank is half way above the 1/4 and 1/2 marks should be fine. Safest is 1/2 tank or better.....

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hasn't this fuel starvation / limp mode problem been discussed before, usually when tracking a car?

This shouldn't be happening, sounds like the sender isn't located in the correct place or not baffled correctly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I experienced fuel starvation problem on my completely stock Ti Q2 (all season run flats non stagger) with about 1/3 of a tank. Tight right hand corner driving up in the canyon when I first picked up the car. Factory did not design the fuel pickup and tank for hard driving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just want to add to above. The car did not go into limp mode when it happened. The rpm just drop with no power for less than a second.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm not entirely sure you actually experienced fuel starvation. The tank has two fuel pickups, one per side (the Quadrifoglio has 3 pickups), plus a large anti-sloshing structure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not entirely sure you actually experienced fuel starvation. The tank has two fuel pickups, one per side (the Quadrifoglio has 3 pickups), plus a large anti-sloshing structure.
Do you know what it was? I don't think it was traction control from the way it behaved. Also I did not have any yaw or slip angle. The car had only around 200 miles when it happened and it was before software update on 4/17 built car. Btw, do you have any diagram of the fuel tank for both QV and base model? Also is the baffle/anti slosh structure only on QV or in all.models?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
No, I can't know for sure what it is that you experienced. I was just observing, based on the morphology of the tank, that fuel starvation would seem difficult to achieve.

2.0L:

The pickups are in the pump body, and at the end of the red tube.

Quadrifoglio:

Here there's the pickup in the pump body, plus the two external pickups marked 3 and 4.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I was tracking my QV hard at between 1/3 and 1/2 tank when I came out have a big sweeper turn and went over some small elevations that are big enough they can cause my rear tire to spin a tiny bit if I have the gas pedal floored and error messages came on and it went into natural limp mode. I have a code checker and I cleared the codes and went back out and it did the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Cleared the codes once again went and filled up the tank and then it wouldn't happen again. Wasn't so much it was the end of a corner it's mostly the bouncing I feel that caused it. So on this track I always keep it above 1/2 tank. With my new springs I don't think it would happen as the car doesn't bounce as much.

Possible I was in dynamic mode and it might not happen in race mode but I doubt it I think it would do it anytime it senses there could be some fuel starvation.

This is a turbocharged engine and you do not want to ever starve it. I think it's good they're so safe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts