Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the fuel range need time to calibrate? I'm only a few hundred miles in but I've noticed that it jumps around a lot (sometimes as much as 50 miles up or down) even when I'm staying in the same DNA mode.

I don't feel like the range needed time to adjust in my old car but maybe the QV is different.

I also had the range display --- a few days after I got the car when there was still a quarter of gas in the car. Anyone had that happen to them?

·
Registered
160 Posts
In order to calculate the fuel range the system has to estimate how many miles per gallon you will get in the future. Since it can't predict how you will drive in the future it uses the average from the recent past. If you push it hard or start climbing a mountain the fuel mileage drops and the calculated range drops accordingly.

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It's not very linear. When it shows 1/2 tank, I can usually put in 10 gallons. It's a 15 gallon tank. More driving might help, as suggested. Perhaps there's a secret update for it. You could ask your dealer about that.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll give it till about 1000 miles and see if that makes any difference

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,788 Posts
the best way i found to calculate how much fuel is in the tank is via the trip meter - but you have to use your head to calculate it manually

i have found every time i go to refuel i can predict almost to the drop how much fuel i have used by looking at the litres per 100 klms and how many kilometres i have done on that tank

for some strange reason the fuel consumption reading is always spot on to the kilometres travelled when i refuel

if you are on a highway and towns are few and far between, you can rely on that better than the range reading to guess how far you can stretch it

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The fuel tank capacity is 15.3 gallons according to Alfa. The 'reserve' is all at the top of the gauge; there is no reserve at the bottom. As a result, the gauge is a bit misleading. I always gas up at 1/4 tank. If the gauge were accurate, filling up at 1/4 tank would result in about 11.48 gallons but it doesn't. It's more like 12.8 which means at 1/4 tank, you have about 2.5 gallons of gas left. At 1/8 of a tank, you have about 1.25 gallons left.

You can more accurately estimate your 'miles to empty' by knowing what your actual miles per gallon is, and multiplying that by the mark on the gauge. For example, I average about 24 mpg, so at 1/4 tank I know I have roughly 50 miles of range until empty, but that's assuming a steady driving speed. If you watch your mpg estimate on your gauge, it swings over quite a range depending on whether your accelerating or cruising. At 1/4 tank I know at best I have about 50 miles till empty. If I'm climbing a hill, I may have about 20-25 miles till empty. You don't want to run the tank empty; that can damage the fuel system. At 1/8 of a tank, at best I may have 20-25 miles till empty, at worst it could be 10-12. If you go by the estimate on the gauge, it may say you have 40 miles till empty at 1/8 of a tank but you can be sure that's not even close to accurate.

As a general rule, just start looking for a gas station when you reach 1/4 tank because in reality you only have about 2.5 gallons left at that point. Anything below that is starting to get tight. If you're down to 1/8 of a tank, you have about 1 gallon left which is emergency gas levels.

(BTW, I don't use the gauge for my mpg numbers. I always divide the miles driven by the actual number of gallons I put in the car at each fill-up.)

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good to know. I'm going to have to drive more to start getting some consistency that I can rely on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts