Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fueled up the car and right afterwards now the gauge shows no fuel and is triggering the "low fuel" warning.

Also, no idea if this is related, but the gas filler door is now stuck in locked mode. Tried locking / unlocking doors, key on/off, various stuff but the door is still acting exactly like it does when the doors are locked. I don't think it's "stuck" like the latch/spring isn't working. It feels more like it is still locked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWIW, I have experienced the fuel door on our 2018 Giulia Ti not unlatching if I press it on the trailing edge (like I've been used to on other cars for years), but then opening fine if I press the middle of the door.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine has stuck a couple of times too. I just kept working with it, and it eventually opened.
Nice to know about the emergency release cord, thanks for that!!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Interesting about the car thinking it was almost out of fuel after being filled. Did you hit the trip odometer reset button? Did a stop and restart (as opposed to a stop/start) clear the problem?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you want to open the fuel door manually, there's a small plug on the left trunk liner, behind which there's an emergency fuel door release cord.
This fuel door release (unlocking) cord works in an interesting way.
If the fuel door is locked and you pull on the cord, it does NOT pop open the door. It only unlocks it. You still have to push on it to get it to pop open. Works on my Giulia.

Thanks MacGeek.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"Trip odometer reset button"
OK, I've figured out where a lot of stuff is, how a lot of stuff works on mine now, mostly read the manual a couple times , pretty sure I checked the index for that - and I still haven't found it.
what was wrong with a simple button at the bottom of the instrument cluster? not techy enough?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
"Trip odometer reset button"
OK, I've figured out where a lot of stuff is, how a lot of stuff works on mine now, mostly read the manual a couple times , pretty sure I checked the index for that - and I still haven't found it.
what was wrong with a simple button at the bottom of the instrument cluster? not techy enough?
On the end of the right stalk. Press and hold. Also resets fuel economy. When a button controls software it can be anywhere.
The old days button that reset the mechanical trip odometer resulted in a hole in the cluster lens that was a path for dust and such.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Did you add fuel with the car on? Another member reported the same problem and there's a tech bulletin on it...it's a result of adding fuel while the car is on, even the auxiliary. In his case, the dealership reset it and all was good.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"press and hold"

thank you - I've pushed that button and found it scrolls through the three choices, but hadn't thought of "hold".
they could have updated the button type, without moving it! no, wait, they did that with the park brake, and I'd be happier if they kept a manual type and put it most anywhere.

"it can be anywhere"
lets just say some of this is a learning experience. I wasn't even utilizing much on my old iphone, but after the second cracked screen decided to spring for the samsung camera - and so new stuff to use phone etc on that.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If you want to open the fuel door manually, there's a small plug on the left trunk liner, behind which there's an emergency fuel door release cord.
I did not know this. Thanks MacGeek.

I would manually stop and restart the engine and see if that resets the fuel gauge system. If not, a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fuel door release!

I just saw this cord (the white cord) today, when I was looking for the trunk release spool, and was wondering what the heck it was for ...

Oh yeah, and later I was wondering why my fuel door was open. Now I know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you add fuel with the car on? Another member reported the same problem and there's a tech bulletin on it...it's a result of adding fuel while the car is on, even the auxiliary. In his case, the dealership reset it and all was good.
That seems insane. I did see a post about it (after I already had this issue). I'm not sure if the key was "ON" or not. I thought it was off, but it's possible it was on. The engine wasn't running for sure.

If we have to take it to the dealer every time we put gas in it and the key was accidentally on, that's very lame.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I just saw this cord (the white cord) today, when I was looking for the trunk release spool, and was wondering what the heck it was for ...

Oh yeah, and later I was wondering why my fuel door was open. Now I know.

So, you are saying that you pulled the cord and the fuel door popped open?
Mine doesn't work that way.
Pulling the cord only unlocks the fuel door. You still have to press on it to pop it open.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Used the string to unlock the fuel door, but the gauge is still reading empty and low fuel indication.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, you are saying that you pulled the cord and the fuel door popped open?
Mine doesn't work that way.
Pulling the cord only unlocks the fuel door. You still have to press on it to pop it open.
Well, I pulled the cord, had no idea if anything happened. Later I saw the fuel door was open which seemed strange at the time. I'll have to check it again.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
200 Posts
That seems insane. I did see a post about it (after I already had this issue).

Completely agree... I posted an update on my issue with this recently and that there was a service bulletin about it as well. In my case, I turned on the aux while refueling to listen to the radio - definitely no engine running ;-) Won't be doing that again. The fix was a body control module reset (which reset a bunch of other settings by the way) and so far, so good. What wasn't clear was if that actually corrected the problem, which I suspect it did/does not. The dealer was supposed to confirm this with AR and let me know but I've not heard back in 2 weeks now, so I'll just keep everything powered down while I gas up from now on. Gives me more time to answer questions about the awesome car anyhow :grin2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
first time I put fuel in the plastic piece used to lock the fuel door fell off. I tried to put it back in by hand but then once the door locked and wouldn’t unlock (like described here). So I have the plastic piece in my center console and I just have been opening my fuel door with a credit card (cause it doesn’t pop open when pushing it).

Now that you’ve told me about the cord in the trunk I am gonna try to reinstall the lock mechanism and instead of looking like an idiot at the gas station when I can’t get into my tank I can use the cord if it fails again.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The fuel flap locks/unlocks with the rest of the car. Make sure the door lock system is unlocked before opening the fuel flap.

Whether your new car has problem with the fuel gauge, fuel door, or anything else, get it fixed with your new car warranty. It was included with the purchase/lease of your new car. If they can't fix your car while you wait, they must provide you with a loaner car while your new Giulia is in for warranty work. The loaner might end up being a rental (paid for by AR).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good advice, I had mine fixed under warranty for a stuck fuel gauge - all good now. I was also just in for an alarm issue and they updated the IPC, which I was told, allows the aux to be on while refueling. Either way, I'm not ready to roll the dice on that one and will just keep power off at the pump. Appreciate the info on the manual release cord, good to know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts