Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already seen the post regarding TSB for "Low speed turning front tire clunking, crabbing, chatter. Many thanks to FNM (Andy) for posting the service bulletin."

But my question is this... Does the clunking occur, can it occur, at high speed turning, with full steering wheel lock? Or is this just a phenomenon at low speeds (pulling into, or out of parking spots/driveways)? Also, my service person at dealership noted a rub mark on the right fender well, indicative of sharp left turn. Is this something to be concerned about??

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
47 Posts
I get the tire same clunking noise when entering/exiting my driveway and certain parking spots depending on steering angle. I've never experienced it at high speed turning so I've never been concerned about it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a series of popping noises coming from the front suspension or rotor hats during very low speed turning (under 5mph) as well. I have read the TSB but I am not convinced it is coming from the suspension. I have the carbon ceramic brakes as it sure sounds like the noises are coming from the two piece rotors.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I've not heard it at high speed and taken it on tracks a couple of times so i'd say if you hear it at speed get that checked out!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It's rare to employ full lock at higher speeds. But this a common effect for this type of suspension. Even on all others, any time you have toe angle which is required for a good alignment, the wheel are not parallel and are bound to fight at some point.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate it.
I have not noticed anything at higher speeds, but I also have not yet done track duty, or tried cornering/smokey burnouts.

Lastly, the rubbing on the fender wheel well was only observed, when up on the vehicle rack, on the right side and not on the left side. Is it worrisome for that to be asymmetric? Shouldn't it be an observation on both sides if it is a suspension set up issue?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I get the tire same clunking noise when entering/exiting my driveway and certain parking spots depending on steering angle. I've never experienced it at high speed turning so I've never been concerned about it.
Me too, I get it every morning turning out of my garage onto the driveway. Seems like it happens with maximal wheel turning.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lastly, the rubbing on the fender wheel well was only observed, when up on the vehicle rack, on the right side and not on the left side. Is it worrisome for that to be asymmetric? Shouldn't it be an observation on both sides if it is a suspension set up issue?

Same here. Noticed when the wheels were off getting ceramic coated. Rubbing the fender wells on a stock car seems like a design flaw to me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Have the same feel on tight turns. This was common on my all wheel drive cars. First time I experienced this with rear wheel drive. I do not see signs of tire rubbing in wheel wells.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Rubbing the fender is not great but can happen on "aggressive" designs. Ferrari 360s can snag the fender on stock set up. Stock coil overs allow the car to be lowered but many did it even without changes. I rolled my fenders this summer since my wider wheels snagged 5 times in my first year! And yes, it happened all on the right passenger side. Usually on high aprons like my driveway curb or at shops and restaurants on the road. Gas stations too. You have to be careful on low cars but the fender rub comes from the deflection of the wheel AND the compression of the suspension going up the curb. That's what does it. I have the roller tool if anyone wants to borrow it "locally." It tucks the lip edge up an along the weatherstrip to prevent the sheet metal edge from snagging. But maybe your rubbing is on the liner itself?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rubbing the fender is not great but can happen on "aggressive" designs. Ferrari 360s can snag the fender on stock set up. Stock coil overs allow the car to be lowered but many did it even without changes. I rolled my fenders this summer since my wider wheels snagged 5 times in my first year! And yes, it happened all on the right passenger side. Usually on high aprons like my driveway curb or at shops and restaurants on the road. Gas stations too. You have to be careful on low cars but the fender rub comes from the deflection of the wheel AND the compression of the suspension going up the curb. That's what does it. I have the roller tool if anyone wants to borrow it "locally." It tucks the lip edge up an along the weatherstrip to prevent the sheet metal edge from snagging. But maybe your rubbing is on the liner itself?
Mine as well as others I suppose are rubbing the wheel well liner. Will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine has completely stopped "crabbing" since I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4s all round. The temperatures are unseasonably high in the UK at the moment so maybe I'll have problems as the temperature drops but the Corsas were crabbing so they are a definite improvement.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
The wheel wells are a big floppy piece of plastic that may have irregularly shaped items like the wiring harness pressing on the back side. If the tire is rubbing it might be worthwhile to see if things can be repositioned. I think a heat gun can be used to modify the shape of the wheel well as well.

Is the rubbing being observed on QV only, or also on the 2.0T? The 2.0T RWD sits higher and has narrower tires while the 2.0T Q4 sits even higher.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Passenger side front plastic wheel well liner tire rubbing at full lock.
Is this rubbing specific to QV only? QV sits lower and has bigger front tires than the other models.

The place that is rubbing is fairly far from a fastener, backing my hypothesis that the issue is caused by a "big floppy piece of plastic". Can you push the liner out of the way with hand pressure? If so, then there should be a way to permanently move it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is this rubbing specific to QV only? QV sits lower and has bigger front tires than the other models.

The place that is rubbing is fairly far from a fastener, backing my hypothesis that the issue is caused by a "big floppy piece of plastic". Can you push the liner out of the way with hand pressure? If so, then there should be a way to permanently move it.
I suspect it is only the QV. There is no flop in the plastic as it is hard formed.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I get no rubbing at full lock...however I have experienced the clunk/shudder in the front when turning to full lock in either direction at slow speed...
ie: pulling out of a parking spot is the most common...however it is more noticeable in the cold...don't ask me why....once the rubber is warmed up...all good...
this has been from the get-go.....
hoping that Michelin will make SS in the correct size

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
I suspect it is only the QV. There is no flop in the plastic as it is hard formed.
Push on it with your hand. I expect that it will move, just like every other plastic wheel well liner that I have examined. Some movement is highly desirable because a rigid liner would break the first time the wheel flung a rock at it. Plastic is plastic, I do not know of anything called "hard formed" nor can I find such with a quick web search.

The fit of these liners is generally not very precise. This allows faster, lower cost manufacturing. It is attached with a relatively small number of fasteners. One of those is visible well below the rub mark in the posted pictures. The combination of manufacturing tolerances and "stuff" pushing against the back side of the liner can easily move things from car to car by several mm, meaning one car might rub while another "identical" car does not.

It may also be possible to loosen the liner fasteners, wiggle the liner to a different position, then tighten the fasteners. It may also be possible to use a heat gun to permanently deform the liner to gain some clearance.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts