Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone admires the motorized front splitter on Quad, that piece is the most unique, technologically advanced and most storied thing.

While the rest of the world put big wing on top the trunk lid (example: typeR, STI ...), even double spoiler in some cases. Can anyone explain why Alfa take on an opposite direction by implementing a motorized splitter adding up to 220lb down force at front?

I am amazed and puzzled. Welcome Alfatech, aerodynamic expert, engineer/owner or gearhead alike to educate me and I really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
car tends to understeer so they concentrated on that, but there was a lot of aero work done in the rear, yes its a small wing but the diffuser is doing most of the downforce work back there, so the bigger wing is not as important

·
Registered
537 Posts
^Exactly that. At speed, the car will understeer (front end slides instead of turning, hit the wall with the front) when pushed, the splitter forces the front of the car down and helps the tires stick by way of downforce. The same principle applies when using a large rear wing, but it’s more of a styling exercise on the car’s you mentioned than anything, although on a wrx it may be useful to stabilize the rear during rally racing.
Splitters/wings/diffusers are all used by race teams depending where they need the extra downforce, it works very well but comes at the expense of top speed since the downforce is actually catching the air instead of deflecting it as you would want for maximum trap speed.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think the Quadrifoglio’s electro actuated splitter exists for one reason and one reason only. The N-ring. To have a splitter as low as they needed would have made the car terrible on the street and a very expensive driveway scraper. They built a car that when dialed back can be driven around town like an Audi A4 but can blast around the N-ring pressing those front tires to track for records when needed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the Quadrifoglio’s electro actuated splitter exists for one reason and one reason only. The N-ring. To have a splitter as low as they needed would have made the car terrible on the street and a very expensive driveway scraper. They built a car that when dialed back can be driven around town like an Audi A4 but can blast around the N-ring pressing those front tires to track for records when needed.
You hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Splitters and wings are used to fine-tune the behavior of a car at speed. Splitters are often used to provide stability in the front, and help reduce lift at higher speeds. When you have a car that can hit 190 mph, stability is critical. I doubt Alfa engineers developed the motorized front splitter for the Quad just to set records. It's necessary for high-speed stability. The motorized process allowed them to include it when needed, and retract it when it wasn't. Daily street use doesn't require it. It would be easily damaged for regular street use on driveways and such, so retracting was the perfect solution.

Rear wings are generally for providing down-force so cars with lots of power and torque won't break the rear tires loose when accelerating. However they too can help to provide high-speed stability; especially around high-speed curves and banked curves.

At high speed the engine compartment becomes an issue because air is being rammed into it at such a rate, that it compresses and starts to create lift. You'll notice on the Quadrifoglio that it has exit vents on the hood and front fenders. Those aren't just for heat ventilation; they help to release the compressed air which helps to reduce lift. Lift is a huge problem because it makes the front tires have less grip, which can cause understeer regardless of the stickiness of the tire. The faster you go, the greater an issue this is. Going from a fast straight into a fast corner or set of ess curves and losing front grip is often fatal.

On the street the splitters, aero panels and wings are pretty much strictly for showboats to impress the people who are impressed by such things. The fact that the Quadrifoglio only needs that small splitter in front, and small rear spoiler to be stable at 190 mph, is extremely impressive and shows just what kind of effort went into the body shape and design including the underside and rear diffuser. That is clearly the result of Ferrari's decades of racing experience.

With regards to performance, right now is the best time in motoring history for performance enthusiasts. The kind of performance you can get with a factory warranty for $40k-$80k is insane. The new generation that wants to just sit in an autonomously controlled car while they text and lol somebody have no idea what they're missing. As far as cars go, we're living in legendary times.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Splitters and wings are used to fine-tune the behavior of a car at speed. Splitters are often used to provide stability in the front, and help reduce lift at higher speeds. When you have a car that can hit 190 mph, stability is critical. I doubt Alfa engineers developed the motorized front splitter for the Quad just to set records. It's necessary for high-speed stability. The motorized process allowed them to include it when needed, and retract it when it wasn't. Daily street use doesn't require it. It would be easily damaged for regular street use on driveways and such, so retracting was the perfect solution.

Rear wings are generally for providing down-force so cars with lots of power and torque won't break the rear tires loose when accelerating. However they too can help to provide high-speed stability; especially around high-speed curves and banked curves.

At high speed the engine compartment becomes an issue because air is being rammed into it at such a rate, that it compresses and starts to create lift. You'll notice on the Quadrifoglio that it has exit vents on the hood and front fenders. Those aren't just for heat ventilation; they help to release the compressed air which helps to reduce lift. Lift is a huge problem because it makes the front tires have less grip, which can cause understeer regardless of the stickiness of the tire. The faster you go, the greater an issue this is. Going from a fast straight into a fast corner or set of ess curves and losing front grip is often fatal.

On the street the splitters, aero panels and wings are pretty much strictly for showboats to impress the people who are impressed by such things. The fact that the Quadrifoglio only needs that small splitter in front, and small rear spoiler to be stable at 190 mph, is extremely impressive and shows just what kind of effort went into the body shape and design including the underside and rear diffuser. That is the clearly the result of Ferrari's decades of racing experience.

With regards to performance, right now is the best time in motoring history for performance enthusiasts. The kind of performance you can get with a factory warranty for $40k-$80k is insane. The new generation that wants to just sit in an autonomously controlled car while they text and lol somebody have no idea what they're missing. As far as cars go, we're living in legendary times.

Well put Sir. both technologically and emotionally.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Possibly but the shape of the rear bumper will come into play. I spent some time under there last week refitting a teb which got missed at the factory Look along the seam behind the rear wheels going back to the bumper, and the seam between the under panels at the sub frame and the seam along the lower edge of the back bumper. The Exhaust pockets AND rear brake pockets behind the wheels may be an issue. This is where the shape could differ...

Looks like it may work. There is a seam on the Quad diffuser right at the bumper darts which fall near the bumper edge. This may allow if to fit to a Base or Ti bumper. The general bumper edge looks more similar than I thought.

Attachments

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Eagle7, JerryNY, AlfaTech and Whatsthematteryou for concise or detailed explanation. Based on what I have learned from all of you, I did some more research and reading online. Here are the take away from this:

1) Front splitter is for race car (F-1), or track ready car (100 mph and beyond, ramps and turns that pull >1G). It is for stability - overcome understeer, left at high speed could induce loss of traction/therefore loss of control. This is your parachute, your super seatbelt - a life device happen to be good looking. Check it before you go to track day, just like the pilot check the plane all over before take off.

2) Front splitter has to be close to ground to take affect. But not the lower the better because beyond certain threshold the effect is reversed ! - so for the Quad owners, don't mass with the factory setting of height by aftermarket hardware.

3) The wings on trunk lid is for the teens (Honda TypeR).

Comments, especially corrections, is extremely welcomed. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I doubt Alfa engineers developed the motorized front splitter for the Quad just to set records. It's necessary for high-speed stability. The motorized process allowed them to include it when needed, and retract it when it wasn't. Daily street use doesn't require it. It would be easily damaged for regular street use on driveways and such, so retracting was the perfect solution.
I respectfully disagree. Alfa is borderline obsessed with setting records on the N-Ring. They are doing the same for the Stelvio QV. Another hint they care... Pirelli PZero Corsa's with a treadwear rating of 60! For reference the Ferrari 488 comes with PILOT SPORT CUP 2's, considered a street/track tire itself, which have a 180 treadwear rating! Not to mention Pirelli won't even warranty the Corsa's if they are damaged while driving below 45º out. There is no reason to fit those tires on a sedan unless you're looking to throw it around on a track to get best time possible out of the car.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Alfa is borderline obsessed with setting records on the N-Ring. They are doing the same for the Stelvio QV. Another hint they care... Pirelli PZero Corsa's with a treadwear rating of 60! For reference the Ferrari 488 comes with PILOT SPORT CUP 2's, considered a street/track tire itself, which have a 180 treadwear rating! Not to mention Pirelli won't even warranty the Corsa's if they are damaged while driving below 45º out. There is no reason to fit those tires on a sedan unless you're looking to throw it around on a track to get best time possible out of the car.
Do you know of any major manufacturer of high performance cars that isn't obsessed with Nurburgring times? That's marketing baby. It's probably part of every one of their advertising budgets, because it ain't cheap to be there and go for those times. It also shows what the car can do on probably the toughest track in the world. If it can perform like that there, imagine what it can do on the tracks the customers will most likely be on.

They have to warranty the car for the performance it's being advertised for. The splitter is for stability. Imagine the lawsuits and insurance issues if they didn't go to those lengths. They did it for the car and the customers. The Nurburgring performance just shows what they did and how well it works.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
Do you know of any major manufacturer of high performance cars that isn't obsessed with Nurburgring times? That's marketing baby. It's probably part of every one of their advertising budgets, because it ain't cheap to be there and go for those times. It also shows what the car can do on probably the toughest track in the world. If it can perform like that there, imagine what it can do on the tracks the customers will most likely be on.

They have to warranty the car for the performance it's being advertised for. The splitter is for stability. Imagine the lawsuits and insurance issues if they didn't go to those lengths. They did it for the car and the customers. The Nurburgring performance just shows what they did and how well it works.
Seems like an opportunity for a Jeep Wrangler ad. Maybe show it driving across the track and into the woods?

Reactions: BluGiul and ybba

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Of course it’s marketing. Auto racing since its inception is about racing on Sunday and selling on Monday. Alfa spent lots of time developing those tires with Pirelli but I can’t seem to find any other manufacturer that fits 60 treadwear rating sticky rubber on their sedans stock, not even any two door sports cars either, even companies in Germany who like the N-ring too. The splitter is about planting the front tires on the big sweeps on a track. They could have just done what Audi, BMW and Mercedes do and electronically limited the car to 155mph with a simple line of code if they were worried about legal ramifications and put an * on the spec sheet; *( 191MPH drag limited, 155MPH electronically limited) but the car actually reaches 180+ on the N-ring so that would have killed their times. Many high performance manufacturers have varied interest in N-ring times but it’s hard to argue AR isn’t way up near the top of that obsession list.

Edit to add, I think they face way more potential liability by fitting tires that can’t be used under 45° and become about as useful as hockey pucks on a 500hp rwd car than worrying about customers driving above 150mph. The tires can get you in lots of trouble just doing legal speeds in the cold whereas you’d be breaking the law going above 120mph almost anywhere to have the splitter really make a difference...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Seems like an opportunity for a Jeep Wrangler ad. Maybe show it driving across the track and into the woods?
That would be hilarious. They could show a high performance car losing it and going off into the woods, and the Wrangler going to the rescue. Or maybe show the Wrangler delivering coffee and donuts to the corner workers out on the course? Fastest delivery at the Nurburgring? Lots of possibilities there. Would make for a fun and good marketing campaign.

Maybe we should charge for these ideas?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That would be hilarious. They could show a high performance car losing it and going off into the woods, and the Wrangler going to the rescue. Or maybe show the Wrangler delivering coffee and donuts to the corner workers out on the course? Fastest delivery at the Nurburgring? Lots of possibilities there. Would make for a fun and good marketing campaign.

Yeah that would be funny. FCA does seem to have a bit of the performance fever going on though. Look at the Dodge Demon!!! I like their insanity. The Demon isn’t anything I’d ever buy but it does warm my heart they’d be crazy enough to make them.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
And it wouldn't offend the fish people

https://jalopnik.com/the-fish-people-are-mad-at-jeep-1822907641

All FCA has to do is monitor this forum. :grin2:

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Yeah that would be funny. FCA does seem to have a bit of the performance fever going on though. Look at the Dodge Demon!!! I like their insanity. The Demon isn’t anything I’d ever buy but it does warm my heart they’d be crazy enough to make them.
I love hearing them. As good as the Hellcat sounds, the Demon sounds even better.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
And it wouldn't offend the fish people

https://jalopnik.com/the-fish-people-are-mad-at-jeep-1822907641

All FCA has to do is monitor this forum. :grin2:
OMG. If you made that up, nobody would believe it. The fact that it's real is even worse. Maybe they're putting something in the food... or the water. There has to be some kind of explanation for this kind of thinking and behavior. It's like something out of Animal Farm or Alice in Wonderland.

Another unexplained mystery for the X Files.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
OMG. If you made that up, nobody would believe it. The fact that it's real is even worse. Maybe they're putting something in the food... or the water. There has to be some kind of explanation for this kind of thinking and behavior. It's like something out of Animal Farm or Alice in Wonderland.

Another unexplained mystery for the X Files.
The mystery to me is why the ad's disclaimer was insufficient for (or invisible to) the fish people. Melt, snowflakes. Melt.

Reactions: rjmcinnis
1 - 20 of 61 Posts