Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Base, Q2
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've seen a few people mention it on some of the AR FB groups, but it seems like there has been an uptick recently (at least in EU) of Alfa theft with thieves being able to access the vehicles CAN system via unplugging and connecting into the port of the front bumper sensor. It seems that there has already been a solution developed by JTD performance, but it is currently not available in the US unless you want to pay exorbitant shipping costs. Here's the link for anyone interested:

Hoping vendors like @Alfissimo will get a hold of this soon, would be a great peace of mind. Does anyone know of any US thefts utilizing this method of entry yet?

· Vendor
Alfa romeo 164S, Giulia QV- Squadra
4,840 Posts
Hey guys,
I've seen a few people mention it on some of the AR FB groups, but it seems like there has been an uptick recently (at least in EU) of Alfa theft with thieves being able to access the vehicles CAN system via unplugging and connecting into the port of the front bumper sensor. It seems that there has already been a solution developed by JTD performance, but it is currently not available in the US unless you want to pay exorbitant shipping costs. Here's the link for anyone interested:

Hoping vendors like @Alfissimo will get a hold of this soon, would be a great peace of mind. Does anyone know of any US thefts utilizing this method of entry yet?
I have them coming in. There was some updates needed for a few applications hence not having them in stock yet. I think these will be a very good theft deterrent for these cars.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have them coming in. There was some updates needed for a few applications hence not having them in stock yet. I think these will be a very good theft deterrent for these cars.
Fantastic! Let me know when they are ready to go. Thank you for putting the safety of our beautiful cars at the forefront!

· Vendor
Alfa romeo 164S, Giulia QV- Squadra
4,840 Posts
Fantastic! Let me know when they are ready to go. Thank you for putting the safety of our beautiful cars at the forefront!
Of course. If I could get Alfa to get us all new software this kind of stuff would not be happening. ;)

I suggest not discussing the way they steal the cars here. You can IM for information.

· Registered
Giulia 2.2 AE Business Super / Squadra Massimo
45 Posts
Theft of Giulia and Stelvio in certain parts of Europe is indeed a concerning issue given the ease it can be done with the right (wrong) equipment. There are quite a lot of QVs reported stolen and a few 2.0L. Several projects are done to prevent/make it a whole lot harder to exploit the weakness in the system used to steal the car.
Next to the physical barriers like the one from JTD Performace, making access to the radar port a whole lot more difficult, there is also a development on an electronic devide blocking this kind of malicious access via the radar port.

I only have a Giulia diesel which is way less likely to be targeted, but nevertheless have the physical barrier installed a few months ago just to discourage everybody who will try to do so.

Highly recommended to take preventive action. Car can be gone in under 2 minutes.

· Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
10,003 Posts
I only have a Giulia diesel which is way less likely to be targeted, but nevertheless have the physical barrier installed a few months ago just to discourage everybody who will try to do so.

Highly recommended to take preventive action. Car can be gone in under 2 minutes.
Why did I have the mistaken impression that crime was less of an issue in the Netherlands than elsewhere in Europe? My daughter is planning to study there, and I have seen fewer reports of mobile phone snatching and such there than from other nearby countries.

My wife and I rode in a diesel Giulia in France and found it very comfortable. The engine's torque was impressive.

Reactions: Alfissimo and HeMaN

· Registered
533 Posts
Hey guys,

The only issue with this is the difficulty of installation: "The part can only be installed or removed when the complete front bumper is removed."
How much does it cost to remove the front bumper?

· Registered
566 Posts
I ordered, received and have it installed on my '18 Giulia ti Lusso. My dealership's collision shop did it for me when they had the bumper cover off for some paint touch up. Pricey? Yes. Worth the added theft protection? Absolutely. It's a very substantial piece of hardware. No one is going to just bend it out of the way, or cut through it, to get the access they'd need.

· Registered
19 Giulia Q4 "Argenta"
61 Posts
I asked this on another thread and didn't get any response...since this radar doesn't seem to be a high failure part, couldn't I just epoxy the connector onto the radar sensor so it can't be unplugged? Or do the lowlifes simply hook to the bare wires after cutting them?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only issue with this is the difficulty of installation: "The part can only be installed or removed when the complete front bumper is removed."
How much does it cost to remove the front bumper?
I imagine it depends on the shop rate of your local Alfa Dealer/Techs, mine in PA is about $180/hr. The front bumper is relatively easy to take off, you just need to know where the screws are, most of which are visible from the top of the engine bay. The only thing you need to be extremely careful about is not snapping the bumper's plastic clips where it meets the corner panel by your headlights. These can break very easily and are a snug fit when putting back on the bumper. This car isn't meant to be taken apart a million times. Mine snapped after taking my front bumper for the second time, but fortunately, some JB weld did the trick in mending the clip.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Am I missing something here but what about a good old fashioned steering wheel lock surely that would prevent any theft attempts ?
Those never hurt, but the overall goal is to make it as difficult as possible to get into the vehicle in the first place. Besides, most of us probably prefer not to put wheel locks on our Italian leather and alcantara.

· Registered
1,562 Posts
FFS, just put alarm with immo capabilities :D nowadays you can find such alarms for the half price of that useless shield. even simplest "hack" with hidden switch or similar thing which will cut off circuit for radar sensor will be more useful.
like scumbags will be scared of some flimsy plate - they will bring crowbar next time :D

· Registered
533 Posts
FFS, just put alarm with immo capabilities :D nowadays you can find such alarms for the half price of that useless shield. even simplest "hack" with hidden switch or similar thing which will cut off circuit for radar sensor will be more useful.
like scumbags will be scared of some flimsy plate - they will bring crowbar next time :D
These were exactly my thoughts! It would be much simpler and easier to install an immobilizer.

· Registered
566 Posts
I'll not post a picture so scumbags don't know exactly what it is but it's most definitely NOT some flimsy plate. I was amazed at how robust it is as was my dealer. It's about 1/8" thick stainless steel.
BTW, I'm told by my dealership there are no advisories or other notifications from AR about this issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts