Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer installed a special front license plate mount that centers the plate directly under the front grill. The plate may also be folded down and slid beneath the spoiler, hiding it altogether. Purchased to avoid drilling the bumper (yes, I know a special mount kit is available to avoid drilling if plate is mounted on the bumper mount).

When the plate is displayed with current mount, it is setting off the parking sensors (problem disappears when plate is concealed under spoiler). I've seen mixed reviews on upper mount, some saying it must be positioned as high as possible to avoid sensor interference, as well as other criticisms.

Who knows how to resolve this short of concealing the plate using my current mount? I don't want to just turn the sensors off. :frown2: Thanks!

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
What? In the middle of the bumper? That sounds dumb. They should have known better or at least tested it. Mine were going off when I zip tied it to the non radar side in the grill. Less than a 1/4 inch is too close to the sensor. I removed it after inspection. Keep it in the car with a vinyl edge guard. I will tell my story if I get stopped again. First time I forgot all about the inspection! 4 months I got away with no inspection. Didn't even dawn on me ;)

You need to get under the bumper to see how it's mounted. Maybe it can be adjusted or add washers to lower it.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,796 Posts
Has anyone tried a 3/4 size plate? Shouldn't be too challenging to create. I wonder whether the authorities would even notice.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not sure why the dealer would do that, it’s well-known that the sensors are very sensitive, and actually when these cars first came out the oe plate bracket was causing this same interference, I personally had to work with Tech Center, taking pics and measurements and trying a QV/sport plate bracket to clear the sensors (which in turn made AR simply offer the QV/sport plate frame only).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally got my plates in and took it to the dealership today to get the OEM bracket mounted. 30 minutes later I get it back and start to drive off. As soon as I pull out of the driveway the front sensor starts going crazy. It does it two more times on the way home until I turn the sensors off. I called the dealership(Dallas) and they seemed really surprised... It appears to be mounted correctly and not too close to any sensors. Headed back first thing tomorrow for them to look at it. What irks me is the dealership employee drove it back from the service building a mile away and didn't say anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you must have a front plate here's how I mounted mine on the right hand side without issues. Note that plate does not hang over the grill. As in the photo above where the plate is on the left there is line of painted bumper in each photo.

I bought this to mount the plate, no drilling the bumper

Attachments

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I put the Alfa9 tow hook mount on about 6 months ago and not a single sensors issue. I have mine following the contour lines of the bumper and it’s super low profile, probably less than a cm from the bumper. I’d rather have no plate but it looks fine, the NY plate almost looks my calipers in bright sun though...

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,641 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Mine is flipped 180 to the right basically. It slightly hangs over grill and is closer to the parking sensor on the right. Question is, will the holes they drilled show once they move it.....
Mine was drilled. I didn't know about it when they did it. When they showed me both eyelits I assumed that both were tow home but you know what they say about people who assume.

Turns out they drilled mine in 4 places.

Truth is I like the side mounted plate. It makes it look sporty

·
Registered
5 Posts
I honestly don't mind the side plated mount either, as long as it doesn't interfere with the parking sensors. I have a small garage with a fence opposite to the entrance where the easiest way to park is to pull forward and back in. I am used to doing it without sensors, but like having the security. I also hate having the sensors off in busy parking lots as its already saved me a couple times. See photo of how they mounted it, guessing it was too close to the driver sensor on the grill. Based on others pictures, mine is mounted too low.

I went to the dealership this morning and everyone is surprised there is an issue with the sensors. However, we talk to the service department and its a whole different story. They tell me that most drivers either have to choose to go without a front plate to use sensor or disable sensors and have the plate. They also went on saying how ugly the front plates look. Again, some major disconnect between sales/service. With only 3 models selling (mainly 2 as they do not have 4Cs on lot), you think everyone would be aware. Anyways, I ask the service department why they didn't bring up the sensors prior to drilling holes in the bumper. Long story short, they are going to remove it/fix the holes and get some software updates (AA not on it, even though it was sold to me as part of package...) taken care of while giving me a loaner. If this is the worst issue I have to deal with this early on, I'll be just fine :).

4 out of 5 luxury brand cars/SUVs I see in Dallas do not have a front plate and most people I have talked to haven't had issues so I will go without.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts