Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I park the car and get close to something the parking sensor notifies me, normal. Then when i put the car in park it continues to blare, inconsistently so. i have to turn the sensors off or turn the car off to get it to stop. Then when I get back to the car and turn it on, the sensor starting ringing immediately. Sometimes I'll auto start my car and hear it ringing when I get to my car.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Should only ring for 8 seconds (just seems like a lot longer). Is there a way to reduce the volume?

·
Registered
189 Posts
You may want the front corner sensors active while in reverse if you are backing up from a parking spot next to a column.
Could be, but it should not start to complain until the car is in gear. I remote start it in the garage and it beeps annoyingly (and loudly) from the moment it starts, even though nobody's going anywhere until I get in and fully start the car.

I mean, we love them, but this cry for attention is a bit much...

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's not always perfect but I find that the sensor stops blaring when the wheel is straight and in park. If you're really close though, there's nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Could be, but it should not start to complain until the car is in gear. I remote start it in the garage and it beeps annoyingly (and loudly) from the moment it starts, even though nobody's going anywhere until I get in and fully start the car.

The car is Italian...have you even listened to an angry Italian woman? There is no "quiet".

·
Registered
646 Posts
BIGGER MYSTERY: why does any car with rear sensors not completely prevent you from reversing into something unless an override is pressed. Like shouldn’t the car cut throttle and apply brakes automatically? Is there any situation where you would intentionally back INTO something.

Cannot even think of a legal argument against such a feature.

(Maybe I need to patent it...)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
BIGGER MYSTERY: why does any car with rear sensors not completely prevent you from reversing into something unless an override is pressed. Like shouldn’t the car cut throttle and apply brakes automatically? Is there any situation where you would intentionally back INTO something.

Pushing a Prius off a cliff?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The car is Italian...have you even listened to an angry Italian woman? There is no "quiet".
Oh, I have, believe me. And quite a few don't even have to be angry. Just thought that Giulia was different... :)

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I do not recollect hearing the parking sensor alarm when the car is in park in my MY2018 with AA working. If you backed into a parking spot the rear parking sensors might be advantageous to be active. OTOH, it seems that the fronts should be active in a forward gear and the rears should be active when backing <sigh>.

I also notice that the seat belt alarm only sounds about 3-4 times then shuts off unless the car is driven over about 10MPH.

One of the more annoying features of the alarms is that the radio gets turned down while the alarm is sounding, so if there was something worth hearing on the radio it gets lost.

Regarding why not stop when an alarm sounds: too many false alarms. I have had the forward collision warning (set to alarm only) sound 4 times and not once was there an actual collision eminent and only once did I need to brake at all. Likewise I have the lane departure warning sound frequently because the silly system decides that some road repair is stripping. Note that this is exactly what led to that famous Tesla crash near San Francisco (car following the wrong stripes).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Most annoying sensor ever.

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Beeeeeeeeeeep!

My wife always says, it is the beeping-est car ever. The darn thing constantly finds something to beep about.
Have you driven through a drive-thru yet? Giulia does not like drive-thrus

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts

Sorry, you're too late: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/iihs-reverse-automatic-braking-testing/ and https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...-sensors-can-cut-backup-crashes-by-78-percent

Pushing a Prius off a cliff?
This was truly funny!

I think of my TR6 as the anti-Prius....
If you're (still) in Facebook, you may enjoy checking out the group "Left Lane Prius".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts