Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't think of any reasonable place to attach a front license plate as is required in Washington state and I'm thinking of filing for an exception for the Quad. Anyone try this in any state?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I can't think of any reasonable place to attach a front license plate as is required in Washington state and I'm thinking of filing for an exception for the Quad. Anyone try this in any state?
There is a towhook on the passenger side under the headlight and you can buy a mount for the towhook where you can put a license plate bracket. There is a kit for sale on Amazon specifically for Alfa Romeo and many other kids elsewhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a short list of cars getting exceptions. I'm hoping the Quad might qualify.
Are most Quad owners ignoring the law and going w/o front plates?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I live in Nevada where we also have front and rear license plates. However, if your car doesn't come from the factory with a front license plate bracket already installed, you only have to use the rear plate (So I don't know why we just don't have one plate instead of two). I never put the front plate on my 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider and I'm not on my 2017 Giulia Ti either.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Just keep it in the car and pay the ticket if ever stopped. Police up here are cool about it. If your bumper is to small or grills too large they won't bug you unless you do something dumb. With the awesome retro Alfa grill it's worth it. ;)

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just keep it in the car and pay the ticket if ever stopped. Police up here are cool about it. If your bumper is to small or grills too large they won't bug you unless you do something dumb. With the awesome retro Alfa grill it's worth it. ;)
This is my plan too. Live in Ohio, no bordering states require front plate and currently there is a movement to eliminate them in the name of needless expense. I was fretting about it and my normally "law-and-order" wife said "forget about it, deal with it if and when you ever get stopped". Since I've started looking, I've noticed about 1 in 20 cars don't have the front plate mounted. Sure there are mustangs and other sporty cars, but even trucks and jeeps that have a flat spot molded into the front bumper specifically to mount a plate. What's up with them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Utah License Plate Rules

Utah requires front and rear plates but I have not displayed a front plate on any of my cars since 1970 and have never been ticketed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Nevada where we also have front and rear license plates. However, if your car doesn't come from the factory with a front license plate bracket already installed, you only have to use the rear plate (So I don't know why we just don't have one plate instead of two). I never put the front plate on my 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider and I'm not on my 2017 Giulia Ti either.
Wow - a state with common sense laws...Imagine that!

That's an option but I don't like to give anyone a reason to pull me over. Especially these days.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey QuadNW...I am in the same boat as you. I don't want to put on a front plate. Did you get your exception? I was going to write them as well.

Thanks for your input,

P

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It's unfortunate that NJ requires a front license plate as well.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Compliance & Misbehavior

I think the concerns are two fold....

1) Compliance...In NY we need two plates...I told my dealer I wouldn't take delivery of the car if a front plate was drilled into the bumper...So it wasn't and I don't have a front plate on my Quad...However, I don't park on the street...."Meter Maids" are more than happy to "bang you" for an additional ticket for "No Front Plate Displayed" (pretty hefty $150 fine...esp if you keep getting it)

2) Misbehavior...In NY we now have State Troopers monitoring not just State Parkways (as it once was) but even monitoring Expressways....They tend to be "*all Busters".....If you're pulled over for speeding, chances are you're adding to your headaches by not having a front plate....Well, I'm guilty of this also, so I just don't speed.....

As long as I don't lose sight of 1) and 2) above...I think I'll be alright....D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Its enough of an issue in California that if you ask for the front plate to not be mounted by the dealership, they will oblige, but .... there's a DMV "release" that they make you sign saying that you know this is a violation and you release any claim that puts the responsibility on the car dealer. Of course, plenty of people do it anyway... including myself.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I signed that release in NY as well.....D

·
Registered
260 Posts
...in California ...if you ask for the front plate to not be mounted by the dealership, they will oblige, but .... there's a DMV "release" that they make you sign saying that you know this is a violation and you release any claim that puts the responsibility on the car dealer.
I purchased my Giulia in September, in San Francisco. Not only did the dealer NOT ask me to sign a release, they explicitly stated that it was "against their religion" to drill, or otherwise prep a new car for a front plate.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In Wash State (Seattle) - no plate for 8 months and no issues... I recently spent some time up in B.C. so put the plate on to cross back into the states and didn't want issues with BCP (they take a photo of your front plate and run it).. So I zip tied it in the lower driver side meshed grill area.. Impacts parking sensor but that's not a concern for me.

When going through customs I asked the US BCP guard if no plate would have brought me a hassle... He smiled, told me his wife drives a Dodge Charger and they go w/o a front plate.. He said the Giulia was too pretty for a front plate :) I thanked him for his service and continued back into the states. Oh - on the way in asked Canadian Customs side if they had any issues - they said foreign plated cars aren't a concern for them - but they do flag Canadian vehicles with no front plate. And then they complimented the Giulia..

·
Registered
87 Posts
All set now. Did not want the hassle with tickets for no plates.

NICE!! I wish I could run California black plates in Washington. They look sweet and on your black QV, it really works.

We have white, blue, red, all mixed together on our Washington plates. I personally don't like Washington plates at all. If I can't get a front plate exception, I may need to go with a WA specialty plate that looks a lot better. Maybe a Quadrifoglio plate LOL.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts