Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my front plate on. State police in my state do pull you over for no front plate and they give tickets. It happened to me twice with a previous car, so it's just not worth playing that lottery.
I used cable ties, put weatherstripping across the back of the plate, and slightly bent the plate to follow the car's contours.
I think it looks okay, especially from a distance. I like it better than the brackets that disrupt the whole front end look. I guess when I have to update my year registration sticker next year I will redo it with white cable ties.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How do you think the placement of this license plate will hold up against tunnel car washes.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
Put my front plate on. State police in my state do pull you over for no front plate and they give tickets. It happened to me twice with a previous car, so it's just not worth playing that lottery.
I used cable ties, put weatherstripping across the back of the plate, and slightly bent the plate to follow the car's contours.
I think it looks okay, especially from a distance. I like it better than the brackets that disrupt the whole front end look. I guess when I have to update my year registration sticker next year I will redo it with white cable ties.
Most people report that fitment will not work without trimming the plate. You seem to have a little room to spare. Maybe Virginia plates are a little smaller than standard?

How much of the vents is blocked off?

How close is the plate to the optional sensor that goes on the inside edge of where you put the plate (parking sensor?). Maybe you didn't get that option?

In California you get only 1 registration sticker and it goes on the rear plate of automobiles, I thought all states did it that way. OTOH, cable ties don't last all that long when exposed to the elements, so replacing them annually might be a good plan. Note that forum thread in which a member used toggle bolts to secure his plate. He also substantially trimmed his plate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Maryland and I also need a front plate, but fortunately, registration stickers are only on the back. This might be a viable solution, particularly since I live near VA and drive there regularly - I don't know what the laws are for out of state plates, but I do know you don't mess with VA State Troopers on traffic duty.

Does that vent have any functions you might be closing off by putting the plate in front?

J

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't have to trim the plate at all. It fit perfectly.

I preferred not to use any screws or bolts because I didn't want to put holes in anything.

There is another thread and I believe it says the outboard vent is for the brakes and the inside vent was for aerodynamics or something. Neither vent is completely blocked. I will monitor the temp when I drive in terrible traffic tomorrow.

The plate is directly beside the parking sensor but isn't in the way and is not setting it off.

I think it would hold up fine in a car wash. The plate is very secure and won't move.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't have to trim the plate at all. It fit perfectly.

I preferred not to use any screws or bolts because I didn't want to put holes in anything.

There is another thread and I believe it says the outboard vent is for the brakes and the inside vent was for aerodynamics or something. Neither vent is completely blocked. I will monitor the temp when I drive in terrible traffic tomorrow.

The plate is directly beside the parking sensor but isn't in the way and is not setting it off.

I think it would hold up fine in a car wash. The plate is very secure and won't move.
After I saw this, I was all excited and ran outside to test... MD plates are too large to fit in the space without blocking the parking sensor. I really liked the way this fitted, but no luck.

J

·
Registered
448 Posts

Instead of using the cable ties to attach the plate to the grill, you could get a slim borderless license plate holder and tie that to you grill with the cable ties. Then you would be able to screw the plate onto the holder. I think that would give you a much cleaner appearance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
After I saw this, I was all excited and ran outside to test... MD plates are too large to fit in the space without blocking the parking sensor. I really liked the way this fitted, but no luck.

J

Do you have the base model or the Ti? I think the Ti has a larger lower went than the base. That can explain why it didn't fit for you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Instead of using the cable ties to attach the plate to the grill, you could get a slim borderless license plate holder and tie that to you grill with the cable ties. Then you would be able to screw the plate onto the holder. I think that would give you a much cleaner appearance.
Good idea! The ties would be on the holder and the plate would cover over the ties. Might require some finger gymnastics to screw the plate to the holder--I assume there would need to be nuts at the back of the holder.
I think I will investigate frames next time I'm near an auto parts store.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
For the love of all things sane and holy ditch the zip ties and get this: http://www.alfa9supply.com/giulia-plate-mount/alfa-romeo-giulia-plate-mount-kit
You can't run the car through the car wash with that kit. The kit also disturbs the appearance and aerodynamics of the car more than I like.

Back to the original subject:

Of the cars I examined Non-sport models had an inside vent for the radiator and no outside vent. These models should have little trouble fitting a plate in that position. The main issue to resolve is that the grill is curved while the plate and generic plate adapters are flat.

Sport models have an inside vent for the radiator and an outside vent for the wheel well. This leaves a space that is a little too narrow for the plate. I was told that the outside vent's purpose is to reduce turbulence around the wheel well and by doing so reduce aerodynamic drag. The vent is not positioned properly to cool the brakes. Thus, I think it should be OK to partially block the outside vent with the plate.

QV has two large vents for radiators and as a result there is no way to mount a license plate in this position.

The optional sensor that goes in this grill requires that the plate be positioned more to the outside. It might be possible to reposition the sensor to the inside, but I have not heard of anyone doing so. Even if it is possible, the front fascia probably has to be removed to do so. I don't think the cable tie attachment scheme will work if the sensor is present.

Installing a black background plate should improve the appearance of this installation. I know that black background vanity plates are available in California and Washington.

Some folks trim their plates to fit the space. Doing so is illegal in California (and probably all other states), although it seems unlikely that anyone would be "called" on it as long as the trimming does not affect any of the lettering on the plate.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
I have a Ti, but without the sport package - I wonder if the sport package is what makes the difference.

J
Here is a picture of the front grill with the sport package, showing the large outside vents and the optional sensor:

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-official-photos-and-info-gallery#5

Here is a picture of the front grill without the sport package. There might be a small outside vent, but I don't recollect seeing any at all when I examined a car in person. This car also has the optional sensor. I do not know if it is a Ti (are there any exterior cues?), but it sure has a lot of options installed:

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-...eo-giulia-official-photos-and-info-gallery#23

Please compare with your car and let us know if you have something different than either of the pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is a picture of the front grill with the sport package, showing the large outside vents and the optional sensor:

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-official-photos-and-info-gallery#5

Here is a picture of the front grill without the sport package. There might be a small outside vent, but I don't recollect seeing any at all when I examined a car in person. This car also has the optional sensor. I do not know if it is a Ti (are there any exterior cues?), but it sure has a lot of options installed:

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-...eo-giulia-official-photos-and-info-gallery#23

Please compare with your car and let us know if you have something different than either of the pictures.
Mine is the second picture for sure - the height of the grill looks less than the sport, but it's hard to tell whether thats the angle of the picture or not. I have a vent on the lower driver's side of that grill too, which the plate would block. Though (again judging by the pictures) it's not as large as the vent on the sport. It's a moot point though, since the plate won't fit top to bottom. Side to side is not an issue.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good idea! The ties would be on the holder and the plate would cover over the ties. Might require some finger gymnastics to screw the plate to the holder--I assume there would need to be nuts at the back of the holder.
I think I will investigate frames next time I'm near an auto parts store.
You should try something like this:

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can't run the car through the car wash with that kit. The kit also disturbs the appearance and aerodynamics of the car more than I like.
You shouldn't be running any car through automated car washes regardless, water is recycled and the machines will harm the finish. Hand wash.

This kit is designed to have the plate not block any of the vents that channel air flow through the front end as shown below.

But hey if you wana use zip ties go for it :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
We don't need front plates here in PA. The dealer got my car from Virginia and the dealer down there had drilled a front plate holder into the bumper with five screws. I was not happy when I went to collect the car. In fairness the dealer said he would sort it in the body shop but ffs who does that to a brand new car before it is even registered!?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We don't need front plates here in PA. The dealer got my car from Virginia and the dealer down there had drilled a front plate holder into the bumper with five screws. I was not happy when I went to collect the car. In fairness the dealer said he would sort it in the body shop but ffs who does that to a brand new car before it is even registered!?
Fiat dealer? A Maserati Alfa dealer wouldn't dream of drilling the bumper.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today I fixed it. Looks a lot more classy.
I got the plate bracket mentioned above (found it at Advance Auto Parts).
Zip tied it to the grill. The recesses in the front perfectly allow the remainder of the ties to be hidden and the plate sits flush.
It slotted into the grill in just the right spot.
The screws that came with the bracket were too long so I got some 1/2 inch machine screws and I'm done!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 153 Posts